Thread: Curious People

Post imported post

I have had multiple encounters with very curious people lately. I have taken to carrying a nickel plated S&W .38 spc which is more visible than my black .45..

Three times this week I have had questions from citizens about carrying.. one fellow was behind me in a Winco store and I overheard him telling his 9 yr old (approx.) daughter that it was legal and okay for someone to carry a pistol on their belt like I was.. got a smile and a nod when I glanced that way.. great to hear someone is aware.

One fellow asked, "Is that real?" .. "Yes." .. "Is that legal?" .. "Yes." at which point I whip out my handy dandy pamphlets..

Another fellow loading groceries in the parking lot of the Winco asked me what I was carrying and proceeded to carry on a 5 min. discussion on the subject..

I may just be lucky or charmed but have not had a negative encounter from the general public or leo's. I have carried at Burger King, Winco, Fred Meyer's (including the Chase Bank branch inside), Del Taco, Wal-Mart, 7-11, Dari-Mart, and a used car/trailer dealer recently which is owned by avid gun collectors and rights advocates! They had a poster on the wall of their office listing the negatives of gun control..

Just a partial list of the places I have been lately..

Rev Jim II

Post imported post

JBURGII wrote:
    I may just be lucky or charmed but have not had a negative encounter from the general public or leo's.
    It also probably has a lot to do with where you live. Keep it up!

Post imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
    JBURGII wrote:
    I may just be lucky or charmed but have not had a negative encounter from the general public or leo's.
    It also probably has a lot to do with where you live. Keep it up!
    I have only had a couple of 'nervous nellies' in the corporate dealings with a couple of businesses but other than that things have been very pleasant this last year with OC. I have had a lot of thumbs up and curious citizens. Of course there have been a few who like to argue the OC vs. CC but even those debates have been rather civilized.

Maybe I mistakenly assumed that because of my proximity to a liberal college town (Eugene) that I would run into more sneers and jeers at my choice of lifestyle.

Ahhh.. the things that make you go hmmm....

Post imported post

I would think the locals would be OK with it. It is the college kids from out of town that I would consider more of the liberal type.

Post imported post

Most of the locals are pretty cool, we have a large population of hunters and sportsman in this state and that makes a lot of folks used to seeing and handling firearms which is great. I had almost forgotten what Oregon was like during my stint in the Badlands (California).

Most of the questions I do field from curious folks are just that.. curiosity.. not fear or loathing or outright vitriol.. My personal favorite is.. "What model is that?"

Rev Jim II