• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA vs Chicago 2A applies to states, cities.

northstar65

imported post

Does anyone know the date of hearings of arguments in this case and any guess when a ruling would come out ?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.chicagoguncase.com/

Published by Alan Gura under Uncategorized
Here is what we can look forward to in the coming months…
Our opening brief is due November 16.
The city’s brief is then due December 16.
Our reply brief is due January 15.
The case is expected to be argued in February, with a decision expected by the end of June, 2010.

cato

imported post

The SC agreed to hear 2nd A. Incorporation caseMcDonald vs. Chicago (attorney Alan Gura). NRA vs Chicago, a separate case, is still pending appeal to the SC. They will likely not hear it as they've chosen Gura's "McDonald", which I believe is the better of the two gun cases.

northstar65

imported post

Assuming the SC rules the same way they did with Heller v D.C., how if anything will this affect those living in the NLS ( Nightmare Liberal States ) such as New York with its average wait of 6 months to get a pistol permit ? And California with its "safety course" to purchase a handgun since 2003 ?

TFred

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
The Heller ruling was very narrow, to the point of having nothing to to do with anything EXCEPT DC. Lots are trying to make more of it than it is, maybe a bellwether but no more.

Note that a bellwether is a castrated sheeple that, wearing a bell, leads the herd.
I though that Heller was the first time that the SCOTUS ruled that the RKBA was an individual right, not specificaly tied to a military organization. No?

TFred

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I-ANAL

I believe that the question presented to SCOTUS was of the constitutionality of two paragraphs of DC law. They were ruled unconstitutional, binding on DC.

Getting there, the Court
Held:
1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.
an opinion binding on no one. Note the dearth of laws, federal or state, being rewritten solely because of this holding.

Even after incorporation against the states, I don't believe that judicial notice will be taken until a appropriate case is presented to each court.

Wangmuf

imported post

northstar65 wrote:
Who or what the heck is "I-ANAL"...please enlighten?

Contrary to my disbelief when I first saw it, it has nothing to do with sodomy.

I Am Not A Lawyer.

It's commonly used on these boards so people who read opinions don't take them as legal advice.