• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canada less restrictive than Illinois??? Canada Long Gun Registry on the way out

Thundar

imported post

They are headed in the right direction getting rid of The Long Gun Registry in Canada. Does this mean that Canadien subjectswill be more free than Illinois citizens???

Link: http://www.cbc.ca/politics/insidepolitics/2009/11/gunning-for-the-gun-registry.html

Gunning for the Gun Registry

According to my own informal survey of rural opposition MPs, it looks like Candice Hoeppner's bill to abolish the long gun registry is well on its way to becoming law.

The voteon second readingis scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 4.

And because C-391 is a private member's bill, it'll be a free vote. That means MPs are freed from the usual requirement of voting along party lines.

Despite holding almost all of northern and rural Quebec, a spokesman for the Bloc Quebecois says every one of its MPs will vote against Hoeppner's bill.

But a number of Liberal and NDP MPs from rural ridings say they're in favour of ending the registration of all shotguns and hunting rifles, as well as destroying the records of roughly seven million people who had previously registered their non-restricted weapons.

Among those supporting Hoeppner's bill are New Democrats Nathan Cullen, Dennis Bevington, Charlie Angus, Niki Ashton, and Carol Hughes, and Liberals Larry Bagnell, Wayne Easter and Anthony Rota.

Even so, the Conservatives have targeted several of those "friendly" opposition MPs through an agressive lobbying campaign.

New Democrat MPs John Rafferty and Bruce Hyer were among the first politicians to publicly support Hoeppner's bill, tabled last spring. Nevertheless, the two Thunder Bay-area ridings have been swamped with 10-percenters (seen below) -- flyers on any topic that MPs can mail to any riding in Canada -- with the postage paid by taxpayers -- as long as they aren't sent to more than 10 per cent of the households in the riding.

Then there are the radio ads. This has led some, such as Wendy Cukier of the Coalition for Gun Control, to theorize that Hoeppner's private member's bill is "private" in name only, and is actually coming straight from Prime Minister's Office.

The rationaleis that the private member's bill has a greater chance of successas a free vote when MPs to vote with their concience or on behalf of their constituents.

Cukier has also done her own math and come to the same conclusion about the Wednesday vote. In a news release that all but begs for support, she asks how the gun registry could be scrapped just months after a majority of MPs supported a BQ motion to defend the registry. In answering her own question, she credits the polls, four vacant seats in the House of Commons and the Conservative ad campaign in rural Canada.

Cukier says firearm deaths such as suicides and murders of women have declined with the registry. She also points to unwavering support of the registry from the Canadian Chiefs of Police as well as the Canadian Police Association.

On the flip-side, anti-registry advocates say the database has been a waste of money, done little to reduce crime and needlessly targets hunters and farmers.

If Hoeppner's bill passes on Wednesday, it then goes to committee. However, unlike previous attempts to ditch the registry, this bill is very simple. The opposition will find it hardto alter the bill without changing the spirit of the proposed law -- under parliamentary rules, amendments must respect the original intent.

Once through the Commons,the bill would then move to the Senate, home to the goverment's official gun registry bill, S-5 or the "Long-Gun Registry Repeal Act."

It was introduced on April Fool's Day 2009, and is almost identical to Hoeppner's bill.

Introducing S-5 in the Senate initially appeared to be a mystifying strategy -- after all, the Conservatives never cease to complain about the "Liberal-dominated Senate."

But by January, after a new round of retirements, the Senate will be the Red Chamber in colour-scheme only.

That means C-391 or S-5 will likely receive royal assent, sometime in 2010.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I think the OP has a validpoint,
Although most of IL does not require registering long-guns, you guys do need to get the permission of the state policeto own almost any firearm, Possess ammunition, or to even look at or shoot guns in a gun shop range.

You just may not realize how bad you guys actuallyhave it since you have not lived in other states where you are free to purchase a firearm of your choice without any mandatory permission slips issued by the state before you can purchase.

I took a job in IL, I was there for about 7 years up until 1999. I absolutly refused to comply with their FOID BS. I brought my firearms with me when I moved there, and I took them back home with me when I left.

heck, when I lived in FL, handgun purchases were same-day!! No waiting period, no nothing to delay a law abising citizen from arming themselves.

sniperjack

imported post

Well Nutsack, that makes you a totally LUCKY dumb ass. To NOT comply with the LAW of the state makes you a felon, and,had you been caught breaking a firearm law in the State of Illinois, no matter how stupid the law isor how opposed you are to it, would have restricted you, as a felon, from ever owning a gun in any state.

I don't the like the law in Illinois anymore than anyone else, but I comply with the law because I plan on keeping my basic right to own a firearm.

I have had a valid FOID card since 1968 (I was 16). The year the law was enacted. Don't like it .. but it is what it is.