• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range for holster practice??

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Does anyone know a place near Tukwila, where I could practice firing from the holster, double taps, rapid fire?

Closest place is Champion Arms in Kent, but they do not allow that. Last time I came there, they even added a new rule, leave jammed guns at the bench and get help.

Maybe some idiot had a delay firing and shot the roof or something.

Because what is the point of having a firearm if you cannot practice it for what it is intended for? :banghead:

jinj

imported post

Champion allows holster draws if you are a member.

Wade's allow you to fire as fast as you want, as long as you can hit the target each time.

Mad Pick

imported post

Wade's will also allow you to draw from the holster. I believe (not sure) that you need to be a member, and get the okay from the range staff.

joeroket

imported post

Mad Pick wrote:
Wade's will also allow you to draw from the holster.  I believe (not sure) that you need to be a member, and get the okay from the range staff.

You do need to be a member to draw fire at Wade's.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Get with OldKim. He sponsors exactly what you are looking for once a month (or so) at the Renton Fish & Game club.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/30912.html

(per OldKim)
Please email at oldkim@aol.com

Please include your name, email, phone and brief history of your shooting experience.

$25 for non members of Renton Fish and Game Club.

Please make checks Payable to RFGC

$5 for members

There is no cost to register - when registered I have your name, email, contact and brief history so I know you have a basic understanding of gun handling. This does not mean I expect you to know what a cold range is and how to "act" with a holstered gun. We'll take care of all the basics.

This is not a competition. For anyone that has been.....

If you are shooting at a regular range and if you are getting bored - this is the shoot you want to try out.
If you are looking into IDPA or USPSA - the action shooting side ... this is the shoot you want to try out.
If you carry and just need practice with your conceal or open carry gear... this is the shoot you want.
If you just want to have fun shooting again... this is the shoot you want.
If you just want to meet like minded folks (gun people)... this is the shoot.

It's all self paced with lots of help if you need it. We try to focus on safety and having a great time. Come join us!

oldkim

imported post

Thanks Bill.

I don't hold them enough as I like (my fiancee put a damper on things for a bit).

So, back to your question on where to practice with using your holster. (Not joining a membership or paying a lot to shoot and practice this way.) Hey, I know I'm there right with you. I'm a cheap SOB too.

To be honest - I'm trying to hold these more often but the best bet for anyone would be to go shoot IDPA or USPSA. They are all over the place and held every month someplace in the Puget Sound area.

Yes, it is a competition but for anyone new just take it slow and learn the ropes. You'll get a lot of practice when shooting the scenarios and also getting some great helpful hints from grand masters and some really good shooters and safety officers.

www.idpa.com or www.uspsa.com

You can do a search on these website for locations near you and what you need to get started in each. Basically you just need a good sturdyholster and lots of mags (3-6)and ammo (150-250). Typically cost only $15-$25 to shoot.

Down at The Marksman in Tacoma (off Canyon Road near the Puyallup Fairgrounds) they hold practice shoots but check with them.

Here's their website: www.themarksman.net

I hold my shoots at Renton Fish and Game (only 5 miles or so from Tukwila). www.rfgc.org

For those interested in shooting on the move, draw from your holster and just plain having fun - drop me an email and I'll add you to my email list.

Do know most of my events are now only published for those on the list.

As mentioned before: I need your full name, email, contact phone and a brief history of your shooting experience.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Now that, that question was answered, do you know of anyone selling a starter handgun (250$ range) thru private sell? I am 18 so I cannot buy from an FFL, I have heard bersa thunders are good, but I really don't have much experience.

oldkim

imported post

Well, why don't you look at Seattleguns.net - they have a whole section on guns for sale. Also there are many many sites on the internet - do a google search.

Also being 18 - you may want to do your homework on guns in general and also laws pertaining to those under 21. Yes, you can buy one but sounds like you are pretty new to guns.

My suggestion is keep on reading and studying. Save your money until you can find one that works for you. Unlike many things once you buy it.... you can't return it (firearm).

As an instructor - go out to Champions or Wades or Marksman or Bullseye and rent their case and shoot all types of guns (in all calibers) to find that one you like and then look at how much it cost. Don't go by what you heard but what you have personally shot and like. Everyone has their own opinion on what they like. It's a good start but now when it comes to your money.

You want to make sure YOU like it.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

oldkim,

I had a GSG 5 before (sold now due to having to order contact lenses) and had gone shooting at Champion Arms. I never put much thought into renting guns because I had my own. Now that you bring it up, I think I might just try it out, but I was wondering how much it might cost me, as different guns use different ammo, and I am not sure if they sell any boxes with less than 50 rounds? That could add up a lot for different calibers.

Mad Pick

imported post

Poosharker, I think that oldkim is exactly right. Yes, it'll cost you a few bucks to rent some guns and buy some ammo, but it will be money well-spent.

At Wade's, you can "rent the case" for $14 (I'm pretty sure). That means you can shoot all the pistols they have except for a couple of specialty guns. And there are a LOT of guns there . . . so you won't have any problem going through a few boxes of ammo.

If you think you know what caliber you want (9mm is the cheapest and most popular, would be a good start), then just buy a couple of boxes of 9mm and "rent the case." Shoot a mag or two through each gun.

I did this, and I had IMMEDIATE reactions to most of the guns. Loved the XD, hated the Glock, loved the Sig, etc. etc. YOUR reactions may be different than mine (obviously, for example, Glocks are very popular even though I didn't like them), so try it for yourself.

I think the best pistol for you is the one that feels the best when you shoot it, more so than which one gets better reviews on the internet.

Whichever gun you buy, you will spent LOTS of money on it. You'll buy the gun ($400-$1000?), you'll buy at least one good holster ($60), and an extra mag or two, and you'll get your CPL ($50+?), and an upLULA, and some cleaning supplies, and AMMO AMMO AMMO that will run you hundreds of dollars. All told, you will spend thousands of dollars on this gun. That WILL happen.

A few extra dollars on rental expenses to make sure you buy the right gun is cheap insurance. Just do it.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Wednesdays at The Marksman when you rent range time you can shoot any guns in the case for free as long as you buy their ammo. At least i think they still do that, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

M1Gunr
http://www.themarksman.net/indoor_range.php
You are correct. That seems like a very good deal, but do you know of the rules here? But then again, I am just trying out guns, so I shouldn't be drawing from holster- Bad idea. It is in Puyallup, might be better than going from Tukwila to Bellevue.

Mad Pick
I hate to say it, but I guess my cheap ass, will have to drop a bunch of money on a handgun. I might have to grumble about it, but if some jerk decides to kick my door, I am going to love myself for spending all that money :).

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

if you rent one, you are getting the feel of it and if it "fits" you. You are not going to be worrying about drawing from the holster at that time. After the purchase then you go looking for the perfect fit holster, then you can practice your draw.

oldkim

imported post

Cost:

For someone that is going to a rental indoor range (e.g. Champion Arms, Wade's, Bullseye, The Marksman or whichever). I usually tell people to budget about $100-$150.

$12-$20 Range Fee

$7-$16 Rental Gun (single caliber to whole case - all calibers)

$60-$90 Ammo

$5 targets

Your ammo cost is going to be the most - just depends on if you rent the whole case and shoot a lot of different calibers. I would recommend renting the whole case. Start by buyingjust abox of 40S&W, 45ACP, 357 Magnum, 38 Specialand 9mm.

Now, don't cheat yourself. You really have to look at this as an investment.

After you buy is not the time to go test fire the gun. As mentioned before once you buy it - there is no return policy. You can sell it but you'll typicallytake a loss. When you hold it in the store may be totally different than when you shoot it.

But everyone has the right to be hard headed and learn lessons for themselves.

Nosrac

imported post

I shoot at the Marksman and have done the Wednesday free rental deal in the past. It's a great way to get a feel for each of the guns. I don't think they ever clean the rental guns because everyone of them was EXTREMELY dirty but they all functioned just fine.