• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Delay change on new permits

Nebduckman

imported post

I was reading some of the NE statues and on statue 69-2430 states

(3)(a) Until January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within five business days after completion of the applicant's criminal history record information check, if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433.

(b) Beginning January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five days after the date an application for the permit has been made by the applicant if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433.

So if you were planning on putting it off until next year and dont mind waiting an extra 40 days for your permit.. You better get it done before Jan 1 2010.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Nebduckman wrote:

(3)(a) Until January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within five business days after completion of the applicant's criminal history record information check, if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433.

(b) Beginning January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five days after the date an application for the permit has been made by the applicant if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433.

So if you were planning on putting it off until next year and dont mind waiting an extra 40 days for your permit.. You better get it done before Jan 1 2010.
So how long does it take now from the time of the app to permit in hand? The new statute seems to me to put a time limit on how long it takes for the app to be processed, whereas the current statute doesn't limit the time for the criminal check.

Nebduckman

imported post

I am not sure but I was going to get mine next year. Guess what I'll be doing before Jan.

why should you have to wait more than 5 days for a process. Do you want to wait another 40 days and 40 nights for it to possibly sit on a desk and then take another 10 days of paper work then who knows how long before it would actually be mailed to you?

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Ok.....let me try this again. Find out how long the average wait time is RIGHT NOW for a permit. Then, read the OLD AND NEW statutes AGAIN.

The current statute specifies NO TIME LIMIT on how long the state can take to process the BG check, only that they have 5 days to issue the permit AFTER the BG check is completed.

The NEW statute imposes a 45-day time limit to complete the ENTIRE PROCESS, from date ofapplication to issue of permit.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
Ok.....let me try this again. Find out how long the average wait time is RIGHT NOW for a permit. Then, read the OLD AND NEW statutes AGAIN.

The current statute specifies NO TIME LIMIT on how long the state can take to process the BG check, only that they have 5 days to issue the permit AFTER the BG check is completed.

The NEW statute imposes a 45-day time limit to complete the ENTIRE PROCESS, from date ofapplication to issue of permit.
Exactly. This issue came up during the fight to pass a CCW bill in Missouri. Missourians for Personal Safety wrote a 45-day limit after the date of application into the proposed law. The NRA/ILA wanted to have the law say 5 days after completion of the background check. It was pointed out that there was no way to assure that the application was ever submitted for a background check unless there was a deadline by which the permit must be issued. Missouri's law says, as Nebraska's new law says, that the permit must be issued by 45 days unless negative results are returned from the background check. That deadline assures that the application is submitted and that the submission is done in a timely manner. Nebraska's law as of Jan. 1, 2010 is an improvement that will protect against any possibility of abuse by a future anti-gun administration.

mtncrash1

imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
Nebduckman wrote:

So how long does it take now from the time of the app to permit in hand? The new statute seems to me to put a time limit on how long it takes for the app to be processed, whereas the current statute doesn't limit the time for the criminal check.
Just joined and saw this. The old law states that they have 5 days after the background check is done. This could take aslong as they want. The new laws gives them 45 days from the date of aplication.I got my ccw before the new law went in effect and it took 6 weeks to get to me.