• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New delay period for permit in Nebraska

Nebduckman

imported post

I was reading some of the NE statues and on statue 69-2430 states

(3)(a) Until January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within five business days after completion of the applicant's criminal history record information check, if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433.

(b) Beginning January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five days after the date an application for the permit has been made by the applicant if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433.

So if you were planning on putting it off until next year and dont mind waiting an extra 40 days for your permit.. You better get it done before Jan 1 2010.

VAopencarry

imported post

Currently the requirement is 5 days AFTER the background check is done. There is nothing that says the entire process must be done in 5 days, or 30 or whatever. So in reality, 45 days AFTER application is made might not be too big of a difference.

Nebduckman

imported post

It may or may not, but why should you have to wait more than 5 days for a process. You want to wait another 40 days and 40 nights for it to possibly sit on a desk and then take another 10 days of paper work then who knows how long before it would actually be mailed to you?

wrightme

imported post

Nebduckman wrote:
It may or may not, but why should you have to wait more than 5 days for a process. You want to wait another 40 days and 40 nights for it to possibly sit on a desk and then take another 10 days of paper work then who knows how long before it would actually be mailed to you?
How long did it take in the past for the background check to be completed? Was it more or less than 40 days?

I do not know the reality, but what I see in the statute change is that:

a) current - no time limit to background check, 5 day wait after BG complete. If the BG check takes 60 days, it takes 65 days to receive permit. And, if it takes 41 days to BG check, it takes 46 days to get permit. If it takes 5 days to BG check, it takes 10 days to get permit.

b) new - BG check and other paperwork can take no longer than 45 days total.

Unless residents have been receiving permits in less than 45 days without fail, then the new statute probably changes nothing. But, if the issuers have been failing to complete BG checks in a timely manner, and/or using that excuse to avoid acting on permits, this new statute will help prevent delays.