• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GFL Questions

Sean87

imported post

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and I got a few questions about Georgia's Firearms License.

I'm 21 years old, I got my license a few days ago and some things just aren't clear to me.

I work as an Assistant Property Manager for four parks in Albany, Georgia. My family and I decided it was time to get guns because of the trouble we run into everyday. We got the licenses and now a bit confused as to some of the laws stated in the back of the cards.

For one, where can we actually carry our weapons besides our property? I mean we go to hardware stores, CVS, super markets, and gas stations everyday. We're trying to make it a habit to remove our weapons because we're not sure if we can carry them into these places. The card says not in some public places but it's not too clear. Please explain.

Finally, we have the guns and we can carry but now I'm hearing you have to have them open to view or concealed but you have to tell officers that you have them. Please explain because this one I'm lost on.

I'm new to this so forgive me for sounding so naive.

Thank you very much for you time,
Sean

mathar1

imported post

Georgia allows open or concealed carry that is your choice.

You do NOT have to inform an officer in Ga.

You can carry in any business (except a true bar). The "No Guns Allowed" signs hold no legal weight all they can do is ask you to leave. If you resist or do not leave you can be charged with criminal trespass.

No federal buildings. No churches or even within 200' of a church unless you are passing by. No court houses...or jails.

"Public Gatherings"......no sporting events, concerts , public celebrations(4th of july etc), and anything else an officer an DA say it is. The public gathering law is so vague that even lawyers can't agree on exactly what they are.

check out www.georgiapacking.org for Ga specific laws.

aadvark

imported post

Please do not forget that you may not carry a Firearm within a Nuclear Power Plant Zone, or any Nuclear Power Plant Property..., per 16-11-127.2.

Also, any preempted Local Laws are superceded by 16-11-173(b)(1). If Albany has any Firearms Ordinances that conflict with The Georgia Firearms and Weapons Act, then, Georgia Law trumps City Ordinance automatically.

Yes, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Banks, Restaurants that serve Alcohol for consumption on premisis (under 50% sells though), and Wal-Mart are all Legal to carry, provided; that they do not ask you to leave.