• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats the official procedure when moving?

blairellis

imported post

Turns out I'm moving to TN here in a little bit. I currently live with the parents but its just me that is moving.

I have my pistol registered here and I applied for my CPL a while ago (hasn't been granted yet).

Whats proper protocol for moving out of state in regards to my handgun? How about waiting for my CPL? I can legally not declare residency down in TN for up to almost a year but has to be done within 6 months of working full time for 6 months.

Any advice on that? I'd like to get my MI CPL before "bailing" on MI so I don't have to take the class down there in TN that I just took up here.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

blairellis wrote:
Turns out I'm moving to TN here in a little bit. I currently live with the parents but its just me that is moving.

I have my pistol registered here and I applied for my CPL a while ago (hasn't been granted yet).

Whats proper protocol for moving out of state in regards to my handgun? How about waiting for my CPL? I can legally not declare residency down in TN for up to almost a year but has to be done within 6 months of working full time for 6 months.

Any advice on that? I'd like to get my MI CPL before "bailing" on MI so I don't have to take the class down there in TN that I just took up here.
Blairellis, post your questions/concerns in the Tennessee subform. There's several membersthere who seem to be well versed in Tn laws.

Michigander

imported post

The question is if they honor out of state non resident permits.

For example, a California resident might have a Utah permit to carry in Nevada and Arizona. And similarly, if they'll let you, you can carry in Tennessee as a Tennessee resident with a Michigan CPL. But you gotta find out if they're one of those states where any permit makes you good to go. I'm not sure. :?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Ripped right from that site. Should answer your question:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee. View application requirements by statefor persons holding a Handgun Carry Permit from another state and applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.

blairellis

imported post

Good to know that stuff about TN. Thanks for that. I am curious if there is anything I need to do in regards to letting MI know that I am moving or doesn't that matter?

Michigander

imported post

Once you're gone, Michigan no longer has a say in anything to do with you so long as you didn't commit any crimes they want to extradite you for. Perhaps the worst thing is that they like to use residence for only part of the year as a way to rape you with income taxes.

Aside from sending an in your face letter to the Michigan senate explaining how they can't infringe on your rights anymore, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. ;)

Although, going by the maps, it doesn't look like Tennessee is a huge improvement. :(