• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Utah question

JDriver1.8t

imported post

There is a person on another forum that I am on who had a question about OC in utah.

The question is on what is considered OC. Some states are fully visible, some states are grip exposed, some are totally different. Does a IWB holster with the grip exposed count as OC, or must it be an OWB holster?

Are there any vehicle restrictions?

Thanks.

jcameronwalker

imported post

in utah it must be fully exposed in an outside thepant holsterwith 2 actions to fire for oc unless you have a cwp then its your choice. utah considers your vehicle personal property so you may carry loaded and concealed in your vehicle. if your in utah there is alot of leo's that dont like open carry i am currently in a civil case with a department relating to open carry so read the laws carefully. hope that answers your question

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
The question is on what is considered OC. Some states are fully visible, some states are grip exposed, some are totally different. Does a IWB holster with the grip exposed count as OC, or must it be an OWB holster?

Are there any vehicle restrictions?
Utah law doesn't specify whether the entire firearm be exposed or not, but here is what it does say...

76-10-501. Definitions.
As used in this part:

(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.
(b) A dangerous weapon shall not be considered a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.

If you have a permit from any State or County, then there are no vehicle restrictions. Without a permit, long guns must remain unloaded.

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

younggun20

imported post

I carried in a IWB holster for a short time, and was never confronted

HPIM0458.jpg

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/25834.html

76-10-501.

(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

Concealed is defined as hidden or secreted in a manner the public would not be aware of it.

I would assume if enough is showing so the public is aware it is a weapon and aware of its presence you would be fine.

bmeldrum

imported post

higearray wrote:
so what i would like to know is on a motorcycle is a loaded glock with out one in the chainber ok as long as it is out in the open?
To quote the great SGT "You may carry a gun ducttaped to your forehead if you wish. The State of Utah does not regulate how we carry them". carry on!

so yeah OC loaded! under the statute that became effective back in May, you can oc or cc/loaded or unloadedin your vehicle without a CFP (i'm guessing motorcycle falls under the catergorya vehicle).

I'd advise that if you don't have a CFP once you step off your bike that you either disarm orcarry "utah unloaded". Though if you have a CFP than you have nothing to worry about... (I hope that is right, my understanding is that 76-10-505 criminalizes loadedon public streets, and in posted prohibited areas)