• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

personal defense

r6-rider

imported post

mr.magnum wrote:
My military training emphasized "blending in"
no offense, but unless you were sf i dont see how that could ever apply. a conventional army will always stand out, they do that on purpose.

off topic i know, but i agree with what you had to say i would get a ccw and blend in alot of the time too if i could

Wangmuf

imported post

mr.magnum wrote:
This is just my personal rant or opinion. There seems to be a strugglebetween "legal carry" and "personal defense". While legal carry means that you do all you can to legally purchase a firearm and obtain the proper permits to carry a concealed weapon, it seems that often times personal defense takes a back seat. I am not a lawyer, a police officer, or any type of official that governs or creates laws pertaining to such circumstances, so I will repeat- this is just my opinion based on my personal experience.

I consider it my personal right to protect myself, my family, or anyone in eminent danger of loss of life to the hands of an assailant. This , I believe, is any ones right as an American of these United States! Do I have the right to openly carry? YES!! But I don't for my own personal reasons. In my personal experience carrying openly pointed me out as the primary target in an assault because I was obviously the first obstacle to overcome in the intended crime objective.

I personally choose to carry concealed because NOBODY KNOWS!! I'm just another Joe Blow in the crowd. Don't take this to mean that I do not condone open carry, because I absolutely do! Its just not my preference. I would love to go about my daily business seeing law abiding citizens with exposed firearms to let the unlawful persons of our society know that they will be in definite check for any ill intended fantasies they may have. I have been in more than a few situations where I have noticed a suspicious person 'sizing up' his potential opposition, and their eyes all ways fallupon me anyway. At 6'2'' and 220 lbs of well built proportions, I'm pretty easy to spot! But I don't wear NRA hats, or "Gun control means hitting your target" T-shirts. My military training emphasized "blending in". By all outright appearances I look like the average country boy with ball cap, beard, and flannel jacket. But at any given time, concealed under my clothing is a .40 cal. with spare mag, anda battle proven combat knife.

While I don't try to look imposing, when I notice someone suspicious, I make sure that they notice me! Well now I feel that I'm getting away from the point of this.

The point I am trying to make is, concealed carry is CONCEALLED CARRY!! DO NOT let some @#$% putting up a "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED" sign compromise your God given right to defend your life and the lives of others near and dear to you! I will say once again, If I should run into one of you carrying in the open, I WILL deliberately and definitely walk up and shake your hand and commend you for your vigilance and commitment to what is right and righteous! My training has taught me otherwise and it is completely ingrained, but I believe that all men and women standing for their right to openly carry for the protection of themselves and other innocent people should be held as an example of what this country was founded on and what this country stands for!!! GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!!

Bold #1a: After having read through a whole lot of encounter posts on this forum, I've read many posts where people believe they've been able to deter a potential crime simply by carrying openly, but have yet to read a SINGLE post about someone being a crime victim BECAUSE they were openly carrying.

Bold 1b (underlined): Are you , by using "pointed", saying that you have been a crime victim primarily because you were OCing? If so, please do tell the story. I have a feeling it will be the first time many here have ever read about an incident like that.

Bold 2: That makes you a target.

r6-rider

imported post

hey whered the story go? i want to hear how you were assaulted because you were carrying