• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about selling ammo.

hometheaterman

imported post

In a private party ammo sale face to face in VA do you have to be 21 to purchase handgun caliber ammunition? Or is a face to face sale legal as long as you are over 18? Just wondering what the VA laws say on this. I know it's 18 for the actual guns.

eddyys

imported post

First, get their Drivers License and make sure they are over 18 and reside in VA. Below it is suggested to give a Drivers License Num.

Second, make sure that you are not a licensed firearms dealer. Federal law restricts licensed dealers to sell handgun ammunition to people under 21. There are no state laws restricting the sale of any type of ammunition.

Third, make a contract saying how much ammo, what kind of ammo, price, and he agrees he is not a felon and over the age of 18.

Fourth, MAKE HIM SIGN IT!!!

Pretty simple. Hope this helps.

EDIT: did a few fixes.

essayons

imported post

Like hell I would let anyone make a copy of my photo ID. Doctor's offices do this all the time and I refuse. You are pretty much setting yourself up for identity theft.

Taking down the name, residence, DMV #, and contact info would be more acceptable.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If the guy's over 18 just sell him the ammo and forget all the games.:banghead:

ChinChin

imported post

Yeah. . .I have to say that I'd refuse to allow my personal information to be so freely traded.

If the seller wants to SEE my license as proof that I reside in VA and am over 21; no issue.

If the seller wants to photocopy my license to cover his @ss; it's not going to be at the expense of my recording down my personal information, home address, etc. He isn't the only person out there with ammunition or a specific gun and I'm sure I can find somebody who will work with me.

Great thing about free markets. . .if you don't like the policies set by one seller; go deal with the others and give them your cash.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Yeah. . .I have to say that I'd refuse to allow my personal information to be so freely traded.

If the seller wants to SEE my license as proof that I reside in VA and am over 21; no issue.

If the seller wants to photocopy my license to cover his @ss; it's not going to be at the expense of my recording down my personal information, home address, etc. He isn't the only person out there with ammunition or a specific gun and I'm sure I can find somebody who will work with me.

Great thing about free markets. . .if you don't like the policies set by one seller; go deal with the others and give them your cash.
+1
I've found that there are alway 10 sellers to every buyer with cash. This goes for gun ales also.
It's hard enough to find a willing buyer that doesn't want to pay you next Tuesday. It's easy to walk away from a seller that's watched too many episodes of Dragnet.

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't forget that many rifles are chambered for what some might consider handgun cartridges.

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons Website
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

What is the legal age to purchase ammunition?
Virginia law does not address age requirements for the purchase of ammunition. Federal law requires an individual to be at least 21 years of age to purchase handgun ammunition, and at least 18 years old to purchase rifle or shotgun ammunition.

NRA-ILA's A Citizen's Guide to Federal Firearms Laws
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60

Ammunition
As with firearms, shipments of ammunition must be accompanied by a written notice of the shipment`s contents. It is unlawful for any licensed importer, dealer, manufacturer or collector to transfer shotgun or rifle ammunition to anyone under the age of 18, or any handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21.
It is illegal to manufacture or sell armor-piercing handgun ammunition.

Jero1987

imported post

peter nap wrote:
If the guy's over 18 just sell him the ammo and forget all the games.:banghead:
+1

Thankfully ammunition is hard to trace, so if he does do something stupid it shouldn't fall back on you. :cuss:Stupid government sticking their noses where it doesn't belong.:cuss:

Wanna know something funny? Go to walmart and buy a pack of .22's, they should ask you if its for a handgun or rifle. If you say rifle you just have to be 18, you say handgun you have to be 21. Thankfully this measure is fool proof because its impossible for 18 year olds to lie. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

"...(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver:
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age; ..."

No prohibition against non-licensees doing private transactions within their own states with same-state residents.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Nowhere does the law state that the purchaser has to reside in any particular State, be it the same or different.They could even reside in the Federal District for all one cares. That has nothing to do with Virginia law, or Pennsylvania law, or any law. It's a private sale - unregulated.