• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Organizing An Open carry walk in mansfield OH

joejoe0621

imported post

Organizing An Open carry walk in mansfield OH-

Please post to this if you have any interest and organizing and participating in an open carry walk in the mansfield/ontario area.Weneed a sizeable about of people that would participate and adhere to the law and do it in a civil and non-threatening manner. If your interest Personal Message me or simply post to this forum and we'll go from there. Thank you!!

JSlack7851

imported post

Getting awful chilly to organize a OC any where. Did something happen that is prompting you to do this going into winter?

joejoe0621

imported post

nope...yes it is getting pretty chilly...maybe just see how many responces this post gets then organize something for after winter....???

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

why is there a need to have an organized walk?

This smells like a demonstration - why? What is the purpose? What is the message?

Best way to normalize gun carry is to do it in everyday life in a simple unassuming fashion - not in demonstrations which can be viewed as a sign of weakness or aggressiveness - both of which are not good themes.

joejoe0621

imported post

I would have to believe that you'd be less likely to get your head blown off by some rookie that thought you made the wrong move carrying in a town that has not been educated on the fact that it is legal to OC. vs. a organized non-threatening OC walk to help educate people on the legalities and the rights of gun owners in the area. It saves from the scratchy cell phone video of people refusing to show identification when asked by a police officer, whichI believe is insane, most officers won't know these laws, lets educate them. No lawyers know every law let alone the ins and outs of every law. here is a fictional scenario that comes to my mind....

John is walking down the street with his firearm holstered, enjoying a sunny day walking his dog.

Susan calls the cops when john walks by her house saying "theres a man walking down the street with a GUN!!! OH MY!!!"

OfficerSmith arrives on the scene, and requests ID and wants to ask a few questions. ( Mind you a cops job is to investigate citizens calls)

(Mind you john is well within his rights and technically doesn't have to furnish his ID) John says sure officer (shows ID) Cops runs a check , even has to check with his supervisor on the legalities of OC. the two have a few minutes of small talk about the situation and John is free to go after a few minutes

what happens the next time? I would have to assume the next time, john might get a wave and knod from officer smith the next time he sees him walking down the street ...?

who knows? but I would have to beleive that a demonstration would be a safer way to go about it... I dont know this to be factual, just my theory, after all I have yet to OC. I would like to start. I started this post just for that reason, i wanted to hear opinions and find fellow newbys to hear their concerns and ideas....

Mo.Co. Original

imported post

Mike wrote:
why is there a need to have an organized walk?

This smells like a demonstration - why? What is the purpose? What is the message?

Best way to normalize gun carry is to do it in everyday life in a simple unassuming fashion - not in demonstrations which can be viewed as a sign of weakness or aggressiveness - both of which are not good themes.

I think Mike said it best, theres really no need for a march/walk because I think people around here are pretty used to guns. Idk about the city of Mansfield, but here around Morrow County, I never have any problems, and I go through Marion and OC. I havent so much in Mansfield cause I dont get over there that often but I dont see OC as being that big of a problem I wouldnt think, less like Bike week and what not

Mo.Co. Original

imported post

Anybody know any of the businesses in Mansfield/ontario that are OC friendly, wal mart is my concern, i know about the corporate policy, but my buddy just told me they have GB signs up now, IDK if this is true or not so let me know if your in that area, Thanks

JSlack7851

imported post

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/21292-pa-patriot-arrested-oc-dinner-old-country-buffet-dickson-city-5-9-a.html

This "PA Patriot", was having dinner with other "open carriers". He was a "Super Moderator" too. Just b/c you haven't gotten arrested yet, doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow.

Greg Llewellyn from Cleveland knew Open carry was legal. He OC'ed in a open diner, having tea with his girlfriend. 3, 911 calls... MWAG.... Greg was charged with CC. Thats one story of what happens when you carry 'day to day'. 10 of us organized a walk in downtown Cleveland 5-30-09. No One got arrested. Thats another story.