Thread: VA-35: Republican Jim Hyland refuses to return VCDL survey, loses by 346 votes

Post imported post

http://thebeltwayoutsider.com/2009/1...tion-analysis/

Quote:
    Over the course of our roughly 10 minute conversation I also explained to Hyland why requiring private citizens to run background checks through dealers wouldn’t work like he hoped, discussed Jean Marie Devolites-Davis’ loss to Chap Petersendue to her gun control ideas, and finished up by telling him that VCDL’s VA-Alert reaches over 12,000 Virginia voters; of which he could easily expect several HUNDREDVA-Alert subscribers to residein his district (VCDL’s VA-Alert readership is more concentrated in the Northern VA, Richmond, and Hampton roads areas). I explained to Hyland that if he lost this election by “several hundred votes” he could lay it squarely on his refusal to return the VCDL Candidate Survey and public support for gun control. Gun activists are one of the MOSTactive voting block in Virginia, and Hylandstupidly shunned several hundred of them in his district. I cannot say if returning the survey would have helped him win, but what’s not debatable is he lost crucial votes from gun owners for not being principled and allowing Mark Keam to manage a crucial campaign issue for him.

Post imported post

This makes me smile....

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Now THAT is how to lose an election!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Afraid to stand up for gun rights......now he is cow manure.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Nice.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Hear the hand writing on the wall - it speaks loudly to those that will listen or after that fact did not.

On to Lobby Day, Jan. 18, 2010 - mark in down and be there!

Yata hey

PS - Will the guy with the banjo be there?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Marked lobby day on calunder to take off from work. Hope to meet up with some of you across the CBBT to go. Will be my first time.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Good work not sending that survey in.... I'm sure he had no time to fill it out.

Post imported post

Cause, meet Effect.

Post imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
    Good work not sending that survey in.... I'm sure he had no time to fill it out.
    He'll have plenty of spare time now (as he practices saying, "would you like fries with that?)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

To: jim@hylandfordelegate.com
    Sent: 11/4/2009 7:00:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
    Subj: Sorry!

I am sorry that you felt that it was not important to return the VCDL Survey. That usually means that you don't care about the gun rights of Virginia citizen's or are a democrat in Republicans clothing. I grew up in Vienna and have my parents, family and friends there. I even was fireman of the year in 1979.

For the record.. TAG GREASON returned his survey 100% and was endorsed by the NRA and VCDL and spanked Dave Poisson in the race! The only reason I even mention that is I saw the elderly couple on your web site at TAG's events and they supported HIM supporting the 2nd amendment.

Live and learn.

Ed Levine
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Along those same lines, Del. Pollard only won by 700 votes. He didn't return his VCDL questionaire, but Crabill did. I mildly, chastised him for not returning it and pointed out that his gun votes were all in line with VCDL's positions. He said he had 50+ questionaires and only returned 5; one was the NRA's. I pointed out that VCDL is the org pushing the gun issue in VA and that VCDL could be a be asset to him, more so than the NRA. I didn't say it, but Kilgore found out that insulting VCDL is not conducive to a long political career.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

The voting record (not just the survey) of an incumbent is considered by VCDL-PAC .

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Let us know if anyone replies to that email Ed.

Post imported post

+1000, I doubt anything comes back though.