• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA-35: Republican Jim Hyland refuses to return VCDL survey, loses by 346 votes

IanB

imported post

http://thebeltwayoutsider.com/2009/11/04/va-35-a-post-election-analysis/

Quote:
Over the course of our roughly 10 minute conversation I also explained to Hyland why requiring private citizens to run background checks through dealers wouldn’t work like he hoped, discussed Jean Marie Devolites-Davis’ loss to Chap Petersendue to her gun control ideas, and finished up by telling him that VCDL’s VA-Alert reaches over 12,000 Virginia voters; of which he could easily expect several HUNDREDVA-Alert subscribers to residein his district (VCDL’s VA-Alert readership is more concentrated in the Northern VA, Richmond, and Hampton roads areas). I explained to Hyland that if he lost this election by “several hundred votes” he could lay it squarely on his refusal to return the VCDL Candidate Survey and public support for gun control. Gun activists are one of the MOSTactive voting block in Virginia, and Hylandstupidly shunned several hundred of them in his district. I cannot say if returning the survey would have helped him win, but what’s not debatable is he lost crucial votes from gun owners for not being principled and allowing Mark Keam to manage a crucial campaign issue for him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hear the hand writing on the wall - it speaks loudly to those that will listen or after that fact did not.

On to Lobby Day, Jan. 18, 2010 - mark in down and be there!

Yata hey

PS - Will the guy with the banjo be there? :lol:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

To: jim@hylandfordelegate.com
Sent: 11/4/2009 7:00:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Sorry!

I am sorry that you felt that it was not important to return the VCDL Survey. That usually means that you don't care about the gun rights of Virginia citizen's or are a democrat in Republicans clothing. I grew up in Vienna and have my parents, family and friends there. I even was fireman of the year in 1979.

For the record.. TAG GREASON returned his survey 100% and was endorsed by the NRA and VCDL and spanked Dave Poisson in the race! The only reason I even mention that is I saw the elderly couple on your web site at TAG's events and they supported HIM supporting the 2nd amendment.

Live and learn.

Ed Levine

AtackDuck

imported post

Along those same lines, Del. Pollard only won by 700 votes. He didn't return his VCDL questionaire, but Crabill did. I mildly, chastised him for not returning it and pointed out that his gun votes were all in line with VCDL's positions. He said he had 50+ questionaires and only returned 5; one was the NRA's. I pointed out that VCDL is the org pushing the gun issue in VA and that VCDL could be a be asset to him, more so than the NRA. I didn't say it, but Kilgore found out that insulting VCDL is not conducive to a long political career.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The voting record (not just the survey) of an incumbent is considered by VCDL-PAC .

Yata hey