• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry legal defense "money bomb" - please donate today!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

***Admin, please sticky for 24 hours.***

Some of you may not be aware, but right now (literally, as I type this) Thesues is being maliciously prosecuted for nothing more than exercising his right to defend himself and his family.

To read more about Thesues' case, browse the following links:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/27821.html http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/20016.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/31135.html

The CalGuns Foundation is hosting donations to the case, making it easier for us to help Thesues out. (If there are any excess funds, they will be donated back to CGF for future gun control litigation in CA.)

My goal today is to raise at least $5,000 for Thesues' defense fund. This is a modest goal, but relies on EVERYBODY to help. So, give what you can... $10, $20, $50... even those $5 donations add up!

Click here to go directly to the donation website hosted by CalGuns Foundation. Click the "DONATE" button. You can then sign in to PayPal, or click "Continue" to donate directly by entering your credit card information.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Now, you may ask, "why is this case important?"

Essentially, the District Attorney in this case is trying to re-write California law. The law is written with an exemption for being on "private property". The DA is asking the court to redefine private property to exclude ANY place open to the public (e.g. a within a privately owned business, or even your privately owned front yard unless fully enclosed and gated).

CA Penal Code 626.9 is already a major hurdle for CA open carry activists. Removing this private property exemption will possibly kill the open carry movement. (Especially so since the legislature is currently trying to expand this "gun free school zone" from 1,000 feet to 1,500 feet.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to add that Thesues is what we in CA call an "open carry pioneer". If you live in a state like Vermont, Arizona, New Hampshire, etc, you may not realize the significance of this. California laws make open carry very difficult, and very dangrous. Even a legally well-versed activist is likely to endure persecution, and possibly prosecution.

To get an idea of what we deal with, feel free to browse the fliers, pamphlets, and various memos hosted at www.californiaopencarry.org .

The point is that here in CA, we take on great risk when we open carry. Right now Thesues' liberty is in jeopardy. I think he deserves our support.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'll start it out with my own donation of $10. And if by the end of the day I see we've hit the $5,000 target, I'll throw another $10 in the pot.

(Don't laugh! I've been unemployed since January, so this is the best I can do right now.)

A ECNALG

imported post

Will be mailing a check for $25 first thing in the morning:

You may also send a check via mail or your bank's online banking service to:
The Calguns Foundation
3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202C
Redwood City CA 94065
650-275-1015

Please indicate in the memo line which case the check is intended for, and include your email address and/or Calguns ID.

NightOwl

imported post

I've been unemployed for a bit, and in the middle of a move to another state where I have better job prospects. I'm going to favorite this thread, and donate when I get my first paycheck (or at least get settled). Wish I could do more, but I'll contribute as soon as I can.

Theseus has a really great cause, and I look forward to being able to support it in a tangible way. Thanks for posting this here.

opencarrybilly

imported post

My $10 on the way via snail mail. Also, as those familiar with my case in Loveland, CO know, out of dire financial circumstances. Thesues' cause isworthy of support. And,your effortis just the kind of thing we, as a community, must continue to do whenever cases, criminal or civil, that need helparise.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Well, it doesn't appear that we hit the $5,000 goal. However, I'm still very happy with the donations we were able to raise. Considering it was impromptu and mid-week, we did good!

Big thanks to all who gave, and to those who I'm sure will come along and read this and donate over the next few days.

ETA: We got a lot of donations from the good folks over on the CalGuns.net forum. My estimates put it around $1500 raised just over on that board.