• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-VA resident OC question.

mastromx

imported post

I was just wondering if it is legal for non residents to carry in VA.

mastromx

imported post

My company sends me to Herndon as well as Falls Church occasionally.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ok, so you're in the Northern Virginia locale. You should most likely have no problems. I would suggest dressing appropriately to further your acceptance (watch me catch some flak with that suggestion). The reason is the demographics of NoVa is such that you will probably be better off coming across looking like the "norm". But then again, it's clear you've been in the area before from your post so I needn't add anything extra.

Now for those who may wish to take me to task for suggesting an appropriate attire might be a consideration, please understand my reason. Most of us have joined members for luncheons and dinners and have dressed accordingly (generally, most tend to go business casual). This helps present us in a positive light and breaks the ice, so to speak, for conversation and educating those who may want to know more about OC'ing. That's my reason.

virginiatuck

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Ok, so you're in the Northern Virginia locale. You should most likely have no problems. I would suggest dressing appropriately to further your acceptance (watch me catch some flak with that suggestion). The reason is the demographics of NoVa is such that you will probably be better off coming across looking like the "norm". But then again, it's clear you've been in the area before from your post so I needn't add anything extra.

Now for those who may wish to take me to task for suggesting an appropriate attire might be a consideration, please understand my reason. Most of us have joined members for luncheons and dinners and have dressed accordingly (generally, most tend to go business casual). This helps present us in a positive light and breaks the ice, so to speak, for conversation and educating those who may want to know more about OC'ing. That's my reason.
Typical dress at many IT companies in NoVA is blue-jeans and a collared shirt. At least at the cool ones. :cool:

I agree with you, SouthernBoy, that your appearance makes a big difference in how people take to you, irregardless of whether you have a firearm. If you're dressed like a slob in a ratty, un-tucked, pit-stained t-shirt; old, holey blue-jeans; and have unkempt hair then people are going to be wary of you irregardless of whether you have a firearm.

But let's be clear, how you dress is your prerogative. Whether or not you carry a firearm is your prerogative. In the end, you must do what you will do and to hell with anyone who thinks you're not good enough. There is no obligation on your part to impress someone with your dress merely because you're carrying a firearm.

As for me, at times I have made choices of dress specifically because I am carrying. Recently I joined a crew from work at the Capital Grill in Tyson's Corner. Had I chosen the place, it'd probably have been a pool hall or someplace that felt a little more comfortable to me; nevertheless I wanted to enjoy the night out celebrating with the coworkers and not be asked to leave early.

I had no idea how restaurant management or the other customers would react to my sidearm and there were no reports in this forum regarding the Capital Grill. One thing was certain, it is an upscale establishment with like clientele. I chose to wear a dress-shirt with a tie and a sport coat. The coat I had to remove once inside since CC in such a place is prohibited by law.

I figured my level of dress was well enough to fit-in that there would be less chance of a negative encounter. Perhaps nobody would have said anything had I gone in wearing my typical work attire, blue-jeans and a polo-style collared shirt with some company logo. Being dressed fairly well at least made me feel more comfortable there. And in my opinion it probably averted a situation. Anyway, the evening went very well.

SouthernBoy

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Typical dress at many IT companies in NoVA is blue-jeans and a collared shirt. At least at the cool ones. :cool:

I agree with you, SouthernBoy, that your appearance makes a big difference in how people take to you, irregardless of whether you have a firearm. If you're dressed like a slob in a ratty, un-tucked, pit-stained t-shirt; old, holey blue-jeans; and have unkempt hair then people are going to be wary of you irregardless of whether you have a firearm.

But let's be clear, how you dress is your prerogative. Whether or not you carry a firearm is your prerogative. In the end, you must do what you will do and to hell with anyone who thinks you're not good enough. There is no obligation on your part to impress someone with your dress merely because you're carrying a firearm.

As for me, at times I have made choices of dress specifically because I am carrying. Recently I joined a crew from work at the Capital Grill in Tyson's Corner. Had I chosen the place, it'd probably have been a pool hall or someplace that felt a little more comfortable to me; nevertheless I wanted to enjoy the night out celebrating with the coworkers and not be asked to leave early.

I had no idea how restaurant management or the other customers would react to my sidearm and there were no reports in this forum regarding the Capital Grill. One thing was certain, it is an upscale establishment with like clientele. I chose to wear a dress-shirt with a tie and a sport coat. The coat I had to remove once inside since CC in such a place is prohibited by law.

I figured my level of dress was well enough to fit-in that there would be less chance of a negative encounter. Perhaps nobody would have said anything had I gone in wearing my typical work attire, blue-jeans and a polo-style collared shirt with some company logo. Being dressed fairly well at least made me feel more comfortable there. And in my opinion it probably averted a situation. Anyway, the evening went very well.
I most always wear jeans and a rugby in the off season, and either jeans or shorts with a golf shirt when the warm weather is here. I know you got my point and I agree that dress takes many forms.

And I know you also understand this. We are all emissaries for the cause of a most basic right when we OC simply because our firearm is visible to all. Therefore, the manner in which we dress and conduct ourselves reflects on all of us. There are some on this site who take the position that they could case less what anyone thinks and they are going to do what they're going to do and to hell with everyone else. But that only serves to send negative messages for the rest of us. How we act, what we say, how we present ourselves is going to speak volumes about us as a group whether we like it or not. I prefer to try my best to send positive messages where and whenever possible, not only for myself, but for all of you people as well.

That was my point.

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I most always wear jeans and a rugby in the off season, and either jeans or shorts with a golf shirt when the warm weather is here. I know you got my point and I agree that dress takes many forms.

And I know you also understand this. We are all emissaries for the cause of a most basic right when we OC simply because our firearm is visible to all. Therefore, the manner in which we dress and conduct ourselves reflects on all of us. There are some on this site who take the position that they could case less what anyone thinks and they are going to do what they're going to do and to hell with everyone else. But that only serves to send negative messages for the rest of us. How we act, what we say, how we present ourselves is going to speak volumes about us as a group whether we like it or not. I prefer to try my best to send positive messages where and whenever possible, not only for myself, but for all of you people as well.

That was my point.
Dont try to kid anyone buddy... We know you dress like some moronic thug, yell at old women, say inappropriate things to young women as they walk by, spit on LEOs, and generally act like an ignorant tool box. :p

I think the dress accounts for a lot when we carry, but the behavior too is so essential. If you act nervous and keep doing things like checking your side, fidgeting near it, looking around anxiously, etc. you will give off the wrong signals. But carrying like it is nothing but a cell phone (my personal thought) will make a big difference. After working 7 years in grocery stores, it is an automatic reaction to keep the head on a swivel and subtly get a feel for surrounding people.

Typically I wear jeans when I carry because its my casual dress along with a t-shirt that fits well to my body, a button down, or my under armour pull over. I dont do the supper baggy jeans, long, LONG t-shirts or wear my one paintball related shirt that has CONTRACT KILLER scribbled across the front. Prolly not the best idea...

SouthernBoy

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

That was my point.
Dont try to kid anyone buddy... We know you dress like some moronic thug, yell at old women, say inappropriate things to young women as they walk by, spit on LEOs, and generally act like an ignorant tool box. :p

I think the dress accounts for a lot when we carry, but the behavior too is so essential. If you act nervous and keep doing things like checking your side, fidgeting near it, looking around anxiously, etc. you will give off the wrong signals. But carrying like it is nothing but a cell phone (my personal thought) will make a big difference. After working 7 years in grocery stores, it is an automatic reaction to keep the head on a swivel and subtly get a feel for surrounding people.

Typically I wear jeans when I carry because its my casual dress along with a t-shirt that fits well to my body, a button down, or my under armour pull over. I dont do the supper baggy jeans, long, LONG t-shirts or wear my one paintball related shirt that has CONTRACT KILLER scribbled across the front. Prolly not the best idea...
You got me... I've been tagged. Now if I can only find some little boys and girls to come to my house for some "special" playtime....

(that oughta get the sensitive types in a hissy)

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

That was my point.

You got me... I've been tagged. Now if I can only find some little boys and girls to come to my house for some "special" playtime....

(that oughta get the sensitive types in a hissy)
STRANGERS HAVE THE BEST CANDY!

mastromx

imported post

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just OCd for the first time. I just went to the grocery store and to McDonalds and everything went smoothly no one even looked at me. I'm so used to NY that this is a new and exciting aspect of gun ownership.