• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairlane Mall -- CC only?

TheSzerdi

imported post

Just got off the phone with Fairlane Mall of Dearborn security officer and was informed that they have a CC only policy. The website doesn't list any policy regarding firearms and if I recall correctly, neither does the Rules of Conduct posted at the mall itself. So after being thwarted in my attempt to buy socks at Target tonight I've decided I'll see if my bad luck holds true at the mall tomorrow morning when I OC there for "The Search for Socks II: Fairlane Mall." (Decided now that I'm home I'm too lazy to go back out tonight for socks. Plus I might as well test another place while I'm out, eh?)

B

Bikenut

imported post

Thread tagged for updates on the epic saga of TheSzerdi's quest for socks.............:lol:

TheSzerdi

imported post

Just spent 45 minutes cuffed in the back of a Dearborn Police squad car. Guess that answers Fairlane's OC policy, even though I never spoke to Fairlane Security while I walked around the mall for an hour... and then the police pulled us over as we were pulling out of the parking space. Held me at gunpoint until they cuffed me and stuffed me into the back of the squad car. I really do have the worst luck. Will update further later tonight, have to deal with friend being taken to jail for an old warrant.

jeremy05

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Just spent 45 minutes cuffed in the back of a Dearborn Police squad car. Guess that answers Fairlane's OC policy, even though I never spoke to Fairlane Security while I walked around the mall for an hour... and then the police pulled us over as we were pulling out of the parking space. Held me at gunpoint until they cuffed me and stuffed me into the back of the squad car. I really do have the worst luck. Will update further later tonight, have to deal with friend being taken to jail for an old warrant.
lol sounds like a fun time. I know quite a few dearborn officers. What were the names? We gota do some OC together sometime, seems like you know the places to go.:celebrate

Michigander

imported post

:shock:

I know we probably can't afford to sue them, but it sounds like it's time for a protest in front of the Dearborn PD, and a color of law complaint to the FBI.:banghead:

jeremy05

imported post

ISMOID wrote:
I have carried in front of DPD without incident, stopped at a 7-11. The officer even held the door for me. Maybe it's the mustache?
lol probably

PDinDetroit

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Yes, please let us know what was the "crime" they detained you for. I think I will go see if Dearborn has any stupid firearms ordinances that are unenforceable.

Update: The only item of interest *might* be the following:

Sec. 14-264. Reckless, wanton use or negligent discharge of firearm. It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to recklessly, heedlessly, wilfully or wantonly use, carry, handle or discharge any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others. (Ord. No. 81-29, § 602, 7-21-81)

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=12465&doc_action=whatsnew

It appears that if you carry willfully without due caution, then you could be found in violation of this ordinance. It sounds like a stretch to me, but then again LEO's can stop you if they so choose (illegally or otherwise). I did find it interesting that the City of Dearborn Website has a FOIA Form Link right on the City Clerk Department Pages.

Definitions:

willfully = done deliberately
due = satisfying or capable of satisfying a need, obligation, or duty
caution = prudent forethought to minimize risk

FatboyCykes

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
You've got to be kidding me, yeesh.

mikestilly

imported post

We need to OC in groups more.. I'm willing to join up a group going shopping as long as I'm free and it's not a 100 mile drive. This is BS let them cuff 20-30 of us.

PS: I know you have a new recording now. Let me have at it and it can hit Youtube .. Also this might be a good time to get some people setup to try and have some discussions with officials in Dearborn. Maybe now is a good time present in front of the Dearborn city council. Make them clean up their illegal ordinances.

TheSzerdi

imported post

Ok, here's some more detail. As posted earlier I went to the mall with the intention of buying socks. Once there I checked several stores and decided that saving $4 per pack of socks by going to (insert generic superstore) was a better idea since that's a pack of cigs per pack of socks. My two friends and I wandered the mall for about 30 min, ate at the food court for about 15 min, and finally left for a total time in mall of approx 1 hour. On our way out of the food court a security guard moved to intercept me, but only glared as I passed by. Then the guard and another guard followed us out. Outside there was a mall security SUV waiting and watching as we got into our vehicle. We pulled out of the parking space and started down the lane between cars when a Dearborn Squad Car pulled up behind us and turned on it's lights. My friend (who was driving) pulled back into a parking space that was about 6 spaces from any other car. Once we stopped the officer announced over the PA to keep our hands over our heads. I had just grabbed my recorder and turned it on so it stayed in my hand. The officer got out of his car and while gun drawn and aimed at me yelled at the passenger (me) to open the door, remove seatbelt, step out of car, keep hands in view. Once out he told me to put the voice recorder down on the car seat. He then told me to walk backwards till even with the mirror of his car, had me get on my knees, place hands behind my back, and cuffed me. After cuffing me he removed my gun, searched all my pockets (and took an OC pamphlet from my inside jacket pocket) and put me in the squad car. By this time 3 more squad cars had arrived and were repeating the gun drawn and cuffing routine with my friends. For the next 40 minutes or so the officers alternated yelling at me and lecturing me while they ran the serial on my gun, my drivers license, and my CPL. I also saw them break out the little blue paper book of gun laws trying to find something to cite me with. They also stood around the trunk of the cruiser I was in all reading the pamphlet the initial officer had taken from me. They tried to foul me up with several points such as no carry in a theater or an alcohol serving establishment (which are in fact attached to the mall), but I pointed out this doesn't apply to CPL holders. Finally they put my gun and magazine separately into my friends trunk and let me go WITH NO CHARGES. My friend was cited with "failure to change address on his drivers license" even though he's a student and renting a room at my house for the school year. My other friend had a warrant that she didn't know about (She'd had a court date set 11 months ago for disorderly, but the notice didn't arrive till after the court date so she'd missed it and thought it all was dropped long ago.) so the police took her to the station and then she was transferred to Oakland and we had to go pay her bond, which was why I didn't post more earlier.

I haven't checked what my recorder caught yet, just got home. Since it was sitting in our car, I doubt it got much.

If anyone has questions or can think of something I forgot to address, feel free to ask and I will try to elaborate.

Almost forgot, they gave me crap the whole time for wanting attention and causing a fuss on purpose, etc, etc...

mikestilly

imported post

This calls for an open carry event at Fairlane Mall .. I used to go to UM Dearborn so I'm quite familiar with the mall.From what I remember they have a police station in the mall? Maybe I'm getting it confused with that mall in Detroit. You probably should have just turned on the recorder and put it in your pocket but at least your remembered to hit record :) It's always a bad idea to hold anything in your hands durring a felony type stop which is how they handled you. You dont want them mistaking something in your hands as a gun and some trigger happy cop firing on you.

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Mike

mastiff69

imported post

ATTORNEY :idea:? Color of law? Am i being detained ? what charge ? if not am i free to go?

Oh mister police officer sir! Why did you stop us :uhoh:? Humm!

Got to just loovve the police, just reading your posted info makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that they are protecting you from yourself :banghead:

(insert sarcasum):celebrate

Michigander

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
We need to OC in groups more.. I'm willing to join up a group going shopping as long as I'm free and it's not a 100 mile drive. This is BS let them cuff 20-30 of us.
I enjoy shopping about as much as I enjoy watching the View.

Instead, I suggest we send out press releases and protest outside of the PD during rush hour.

By the way, that change of address charge, that will probably be thrown out if taken care of properly. It's clearly fruit of the poisonous tree since they had no good reason to pull you over.

Edit to add: We also should challenge the PD to help us with the food drive.

PDinDetroit

imported post

FOIA Request and call Dean to discuss options. You were illegally detained as MWG is not RAS for a Terry Stop. At minimum, this would appear to be a "Color Of Law" violation and quite possibly "Assault with a Deadly Weapon".

LEO's are not exempt from the LAW.

Michigander

imported post

I don't feel like looking it up, but if the officer who drew his gun knew better, he is guilty of a federal felony. I believe punishable by 10 years in prison.

It would be nice, however unlikely, if he actually had to face a court for his actions. Pointing a gun at someone for no good reason is beyond unacceptable. As I always say, just imagine what would have happened if the role was reversed and one of us drew on a cop. It is simply not something we can tolerate at all.

TheSzerdi

imported post

Stopping the car for no reason = unlawful. (Fairly sure no officer actually saw me enter the vehicle with the gun, therefore any knowledge of it is hearsay.)

Holding everyone at gunpoint = assault with a deadly weapon.

Cuffing and placing everyone in squad cars = kidnapping.

When asked in various ways why we were stopped and treated thus: "You have a gun." or "We got a call about a man with a gun." = unlawful.

Edited to say: When questioned about excessive force holding us at gunpoint and immediately cuffing us the reply was "I want to get home safe to my wife and kids." Sure, great, what happens when the jumpy cop hears a car door slam and pulls the trigger? Then do I get home safe? Where are my rights here?