Thread: 9MM Ammo

Post imported post

If this is in the wrong place, my apologies.

I'm not up on the latest high performance ammo, so I have a couple of questions. Is there a danger of the 9MM 147 gr. JHP's over penetrating on a thoracic shot? Are they effective given proper shot placement? To me, it would seem like they would perform like a .38 Spl. which I have no problem with.

Any suggestions?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

There have been a lot of changes and improvements in the heavier 9mm loads in recent years. In years past, the typical 147gr JHP load was usually subsonic and tended not to expand well, or at all, in human bodies. However, there are currently some really excellent choices in 147 9mm loadings which do a fine job.

The Federal HST 147gr +P load is excellent as is the Winchester Ranger 127gr +P RA9TA round. Gold Dot is another fine product to consider. Here's a video link to help you get some more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGnDtgVHc0

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Corbon DPX.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    Corbon DPX.
    Yes, I left that load out... sorry. However in fairness, the ones which I have listed do have a record on the street for being effective loads in 9mm.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    Corbon DPX.
    I have had great luck with them and GOLDDOT's
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,