• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9MM Ammo

Sealgar

imported post

If this is in the wrong place, my apologies.

I'm not up on the latest high performance ammo, so I have a couple of questions. Is there a danger of the 9MM 147 gr. JHP's over penetrating on a thoracic shot? Are they effective given proper shot placement? To me, it would seem like they would perform like a .38 Spl. which I have no problem with.

Any suggestions?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

There have been a lot of changes and improvements in the heavier 9mm loads in recent years. In years past, the typical 147gr JHP load was usually subsonic and tended not to expand well, or at all, in human bodies. However, there are currently some really excellent choices in 147 9mm loadings which do a fine job.

The Federal HST 147gr +P load is excellent as is the Winchester Ranger 127gr +P RA9TA round. Gold Dot is another fine product to consider. Here's a video link to help you get some more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGnDtgVHc0