Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Asked to leave Hooters in Newport News

  1. #1
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Bridget and I had already gotten our food and our server came up to me and asked if I was a cop. I said I wasn't and she told me her manager didn't want me carrying there. I apologized and said I hadn't seen any sign on the door and told her I had been there many times while carrying and never had a problem. She asked if I would put it in my car and I told her I couldn't do that because if someone saw me do that, it was an invitation to someone to break into my car. At that point, she told me it was "against the law" for me to carry in there anyway. I informed her it wasn't and then gave her one of Jim's "OC Cards". She came back a while later and pointed to the part about "CC and OC in resturants" and told me the card plainly said it was illegal to carry there. .

    I explained what CC and OC meant and that you could NOT conceal in a place that serves alcohol and that OC was REQUIRED. She didn't seem convinced.

    I asked her if we could finish our food or did she want us to have it wrapped for takeout. She scurried away and came back and told me we could finish our food. She did come back a few minutes later and asked if we wanted to put our leftovers in a box and I told her we were "still working on it". There were very few customers in the place and it was obvious when she walked to an area across the room near empty tables that she was checking on our progress.

    We finally stopped eating and asked for a takeout box. We paid the bill and I attached the card she had left on the table to the bill.

    Does Hooters Corporate have a policy against OC?:?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  2. #2
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Bridget and I had already gotten our food and our server came up to me and asked if I was a cop. I said I wasn't and she told me her manager didn't want me carrying there. I apologized and said I hadn't seen any sign on the door and told her I had been there many times while carrying and never had a problem. She asked if I would put it in my car and I told her I couldn't do that because if someone saw me do that, it was an invitation to someone to break into my car. At that point, she told me it was "against the law" for me to carry in there anyway. I informed her it wasn't and then gave her one of Jim's "OC Cards". She came back a while later and pointed to the part about "CC and OC in resturants" and told me the card plainly said it was illegal to carry there. .

    I explained what CC and OC meant and that you could NOT conceal in a place that serves alcohol and that OC was REQUIRED. She didn't seem convinced.

    I asked her if we could finish our food or did she want us to have it wrapped for takeout. She scurried away and came back and told me we could finish our food. She did come back a few minutes later and asked if we wanted to put our leftovers in a box and I told her we were "still working on it". There were very few customers in the place and it was obvious when she walked to an area across the room near empty tables that she was checking on our progress.

    We finally stopped eating and asked for a takeout box. We paid the bill and I attached the card she had left on the table to the bill.

    Does Hooters Corporate have a policy against OC?:?
    Wow, that's some big CHANGE from just a month ago....





    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Only ONE thing bothers me in 2 out of 3 pics there...

    FINGERS ON THE TRIGGER!

    Always, ALWAYS, think about SAFETY!

    (by the way, it took me about 10 minutes to notice their trigger fingers were in the wrong place... It shouldn't have taken me so long, but my eyesight is getting worse, darn it!)

    Back OT: For some terrible reason, Bridget LOVES Hooters chicken wings.
    I know, there are MANY places out there with better wings for less $, but I can't bring myself to complain.
    We always OC there and the girls wouldn't normally give me the time of day (unless they're taking my order and I'm taking up too much of their time), but they LOVE seeing Bridget OCing her 45. They look at my sweet, innocent (looking) 5' tall (and no extra inches), little girl and then at the (comparatively speaking) HUGE pistol in her SERPA and they give her a "high-5" and ask her lots of questions about it.
    I just sit there and try to keep my tongue from doing the "Bocephus" on History of the World, Part I.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=32246

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West End - Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    79

    Post imported post

    I'm suprised they let you finish eating, after all, us criminals will probably wait until we're done eating THEN rob the place.

  4. #4
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    I'm thinking it was a customer and not the "manager" because if it had been the manager, I would think the manager him or herself would have come over in person.

    I did notice when we walked in that some guys in Army ACU's gave me :shock:and no one else even seemed to notice. I think she was covering for them.They probably "blew smoke up her @$$" by telling her it was illegal. They must have been from some communist northeastern state like NJ, NY or Massholia...



    Silly flockers were probably REMF pogues in some sort of transportation school at nearby Fort Useless.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  5. #5
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I'm thinking it was a customer and not the "manager" ...
    .... some guys in Army ACU's ... I think she was covering for them.....
    They probably "blew smoke up her @$$" by telling her it was illegal.
    They must have been from some communist northeastern state like NJ, NY or Massholia..
    Silly flockers were probably REMF pogues in some sort of transportation school at nearby Fort Useless....
    Hmm, MSG, I'm curious.How can you make sooooo many suppositions.....with so little data?

    Are you planning on making a complaint to the manager and/or corporate? That would seem like a good idea.

  6. #6
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Just finished sending e-mail to Hooters Corporate. Stand by for updates...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  7. #7
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    I would have asked for the manager immediately. That just ticks me offAnybody down for an OC dinner there next week?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    I don't understand why you even bothered to pay. You should have just taken a huge bite of whatever you were eating, and walked straight out the door. It is my understanding that there is some sort of an agreement when you eat at a restaurant. They have to provide you with food and a place to eat it, and you have to pay at the end of the meal. Since they said you had to leave, they weren't fulfilling their end of the agreement. If a restaurant doesn't want me to eat there, I'll spend my money somewhere else.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Jero1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    191

    Post imported post

    I plan to call corporate and find out if that is their policy. If so I plan to not eat there anymore.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    I think they are still jittery from the incident that just happened there.

    http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...oters_shooting

    http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/poli...ooters-hampton

    +1 also for asking for the manager upfront. The manager never should have sent a server over in the first place.

  11. #11
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    DocDaddy wrote:
    I think they are still jittery from the incident that just happened there.

    http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...oters_shooting

    http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/poli...ooters-hampton

    +1 also for asking for the manager upfront. The manager never should have sent a server over in the first place.
    That excuse MIGHT hold water IF it were the same place. This Hooters is10 miles from the Hampton store.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  12. #12
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    That story is interesting. I never actually heard of anyone charged with the crime of Maiming. The rest of Virginia calls it Malicious Wounding.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    MSC- It is all the same to me being from the Southside! LOL

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I would have asked for the manager immediately.
    This. It's always a good idea to hear it from the big shot at the joint that he/she doesn't want your money. Also then you can find out if it is his/her own policy or if it is corporate.

  15. #15
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I would have asked for the manager immediately.
    This. It's always a good idea to hear it from the big shot at the joint that he/she doesn't want your money. Also then you can find out if it is his/her own policy or if it is corporate.
    Exactly! I want his/her name, contact number, and corporate's number from him/her. I would also be informing him/her that I will be calling corporate and he/she should be hearing from his superiors shortly

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    said I hadn't seen any sign on the door
    Never say that. That simply tells them put a sign on the door and no guns will ever come in again... problem solved (in their eyes.. till they get robbed and less people come, etc... who knows.. maybe they would leave the sign up after the restaurant bill is signed next year by Gov. McDonnell). You are right to say all the other things.. "I carry in here all the time without a problem, etc".


    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  17. #17
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    That story is interesting. I never actually heard of anyone charged with the crime of Maiming. The rest of Virginia calls it Malicious Wounding.
    It's "Maiming" in Williamsburg also.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  18. #18
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I apologized and said I hadn't seen any sign on the door and told her I had been there many times while carrying and never had a problem.
    YOU KNOW BETTER THAN TO SAY THAT MIKE!!!!!



    NOW GO STAND IN THE CORNER AND BE ASHAMED!!!!!!


    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    The funny thing is... the Hooters at Waterside welcomed all of us firearm carriers with open arms last week. The wait staff and other folks there were completely non-plussed about us carrying.

    We may as well have been wearing hats for all the attention it caused, which is how it should be.

  20. #20
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    mercutio545 wrote:
    I don't understand why you even bothered to pay. You should have just taken a huge bite of whatever you were eating, and walked straight out the door. It is my understanding that there is some sort of an agreement when you eat at a restaurant. They have to provide you with food and a place to eat it, and you have to pay at the end of the meal. Since they said you had to leave, they weren't fulfilling their end of the agreement. If a restaurant doesn't want me to eat there, I'll spend my money somewhere else.
    Mercutio,

    Be careful doing that. You could be charged with "Defrauding an Inn Keeper" if you take that bite and leave without paying. I've seen it happen before.

    226
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    mercutio545 wrote:
    I don't understand why you even bothered to pay. You should have just taken a huge bite of whatever you were eating, and walked straight out the door.
    I pay for the food and ambience.. if you kick me out, I am gone.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    we should all write hooters and ask them their stance.. so thy know it's not just one guy.. and we should remind them of the hundreds of people that eat at Hooters chantilly during the gun shows that carry.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  23. #23
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    ODA 226 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    That story is interesting. I never actually heard of anyone charged with the crime of Maiming. The rest of Virginia calls it Malicious Wounding.
    It's "Maiming" in Williamsburg also.
    Must be a Hampton Roads area thing....
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    Even IF it was because of a shooting at another Hooters in the area, for the manager sending over someone else to do the talking. (I don't to piss him off........ you go!)

    If he/she has a problem, they should have come over. Even if there is some reason that they let the server make the initial request,as soon as the "messenger" role came into play, he should have come over and discussed it directly with them. Not play the back and forth thing.

    I would ask to talk to the manager, get a statement on whether it is store or corporate policy. Especially if they say corporate, say thank you, get their name and make sure that corporate gets a nice letter about how supportive they have been to OC'rs in the past, and how a manager is invoking "corporate policy." Don't forget to let him/her know you'll be sending one. If they know they are not being honest, that alone may be enough to get them to change their mind...... although I would still write.

    I'm willing to bet he gets a phone call, especially when you can tell them how much other Hooters in the area have supported OC and how much business they've gotten as a result.

  25. #25
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    DocKen wrote:
    Even IF it was because of a shooting at another Hooters in the area, for the manager sending over someone else to do the talking. (I don't to piss him off........ you go!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXf_l93c6JM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •