• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Hooters in Newport News

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

we should all write hooters and ask them their stance.. so thy know it's not just one guy.. and we should remind them of the hundreds of people that eat at Hooters chantilly during the gun shows that carry.

DocKen

imported post

Even IF it was because of a shooting at another Hooters in the area, :cuss:for the manager sending over someone else to do the talking. (I don't to piss him off........ you go!)

If he/she has a problem, they should have come over. Even if there is some reason that they let the server make the initial request,as soon as the "messenger" role came into play, he should have come over and discussed it directly with them. Not play the back and forth thing.

I would ask to talk to the manager, get a statement on whether it is store or corporate policy. Especially if they say corporate, say thank you, get their name and make sure that corporate gets a nice letter about how supportive they have been to OC'rs in the past, and how a manager is invoking "corporate policy." Don't forget to let him/her know you'll be sending one. If they know they are not being honest, that alone may be enough to get them to change their mind...... although I would still write.

I'm willing to bet he gets a phone call, especially when you can tell them how much other Hooters in the area have supported OC and how much business they've gotten as a result.

ODA 226

imported post

DrMark wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
You could be charged with "Defrauding an Inn Keeper" if you take that bite and leave without paying. I've seen it happen before.
...when the manager kicks you out in the middle of a meal?
Let's take a look at Mercutio's original statement:

Mercutio said:

"I don't understand why you even bothered to pay. You should have just taken a huge bite of whatever you were eating, and walked straight out the door."

If you take the bite, you have accepted the meal and are therefore legally responsible to pay the Innkeeper. If you simply walked out without taking the bite, no fraud has occured.

This is a serious crime in Virginia! Don't get cute by taking that bite...JUST LEAVE!

§ 18.2-188. Defrauding hotels, motels, campgrounds, boardinghouses, etc.

It shall be unlawful for any person, without paying therefor, and with the intent to cheat or defraud the owner or keeper to:

1. Put up at a hotel, motel, campground or boardinghouse;

2. Obtain food from a restaurant or other eating house;

3. Gain entrance to an amusement park; or

4. Without having an express agreement for credit, procure food, entertainment or accommodation from any hotel, motel, campground, boardinghouse, restaurant, eating house or amusement park.

It shall be unlawful for any person, with intent to cheat or defraud the owner or keeper out of the pay therefor to obtain credit at a hotel, motel, campground, boardinghouse, restaurant or eating house for food, entertainment or accommodation by means of any false show of baggage or effects brought thereto.

It shall be unlawful for any person, with intent to cheat or defraud, to obtain credit at a hotel, motel, campground, boardinghouse, restaurant, eating house or amusement park for food, entertainment or accommodation through any misrepresentation or false statement.

It shall be unlawful for any person, with intent to cheat or defraud, to remove or cause to be removed any baggage or effects from a hotel, motel, campground, boardinghouse, restaurant or eating house while there is a lien existing thereon for the proper charges due from him for fare and board furnished.

Any person who violates any provision of this section shall, if the value of service, credit or benefit procured or obtained is $200 or more, be guilty of a Class 5 felony; or if the value is less than $200, a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-120; 1960, c. 358; 1974, c. 615; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1977, c. 178; 1981, c. 197; 1993, c. 575.)

[line]

http://leg1.state.va.us/lis.htm

ODA 226

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
I think the key word there is "intent".... Am I a winner?
If he took that bite and left without paying, he demonstrated more than intent to defraud...he committed the crime!

TFred

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
If he took that bite and left without paying, he demonstrated more than intent to defraud...he committed the crime!
You seem to be selectively ignoring the "with the intent to cheat or defraud" phrase. Absent proof to the contrary, we must assume that the customer entered the restaurant with the intent to order, eat, and pay for a nice dinner.

How can you claim a customer had the intent to cheat or defraud when it is the restaurant manager who required them to leave after bringing out the food? I assume (and hope very much) that Health Department regulations would prevent any re-use of food brought to a table, so that food is trash already. Taking a bite is irrelevant.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
I apologized and said I hadn't seen any sign on the door and told her I had been there many times while carrying and never had a problem.
YOU KNOW BETTER THAN TO SAY THAT MIKE!!!!!

NOW GO STAND IN THE CORNER AND BE ASHAMED!!!!!! ;)

Yessir, Yessir, Three bags full, sir...

:banghead:

wylde007

imported post

TFred wrote:
You seem to be selectively ignoring the "with the intent to cheat or defraud" phrase. Absent proof to the contrary, we must assume that the customer entered the restaurant with the intent to order, eat, and pay for a nice dinner.
I think he is specifically attaching his comment to the "intent to cheat or defraud".

If the manager comes over and demands that you leave before you have eaten and, out of spite, you take a bite and then get up and leave without paying, you have intentionally acted.

That could not be misconstrued as an accident.

Now, if your food had already been in front of you and you had already begun eating when the manager approached and violated your rights, then the proper functional act to take would be to put down your utensils and food, collect your belongings and exit.

It is at the time that the manager communicates his disapproval that the common contract has been broken by the "innkeeper". Further act beyond that could constitute fraud.

Regardless, who wants to spend money somewhere that would prefer to disarm lawful citizens anyhow?

Decoligny

imported post

TFred wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:

How can you claim a customer had the intent to cheat or defraud when it is the restaurant manager who required them to leave after bringing out the food? I assume (and hope very much) that Health Department regulations would prevent any re-use of food brought to a table, so that food is trash already. Taking a bite is irrelevant.

TFred

And as far as not paying for the food, if the customer entered the restaurant with the intent to eat a meal IN the restaurant, and NOT to take a meal home with them, even if the meal was half consumed, if asked to leave I would not pay for the meal. I often times stop for a meal at the beginning of a night out. So taking a meal "to go" isn't part of my agenda. Nor do I have a refrigerated compartment to keep the food edible until I get home.

If they asked me to leave, I would take it to mean that the management has decided to break its contract with me to provide me with a meal to be consumed on premises. They would be denying me the ability to finish my meal. And I don't think there is a legal requirement for me to eat the meal elsewhere, or take the meal "to go".

TFred

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
TFred wrote:
I think he is specifically attaching his comment to the "intent to cheat or defraud".

If the manager comes over and demands that you leave before you have eaten and, out of spite, you take a bite and then get up and leave without paying, you have intentionally acted.

That could not be misconstrued as an accident.

Now, if your food had already been in front of you and you had already begun eating when the manager approached and violated your rights, then the proper functional act to take would be to put down your utensils and food, collect your belongings and exit.

It is at the time that the manager communicates his disapproval that the common contract has been broken by the "innkeeper". Further act beyond that could constitute fraud.

Regardless, who wants to spend money somewhere that would prefer to disarm lawful citizens anyhow?
Again... once the food is on the table, it is either going in your stomach, or the trash can. How can one bite in your stomach, but the rest in the trash can be fraud?

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Mercutio,

Be careful doing that. You could be charged with "Defrauding an Inn Keeper" if you take that bite and leave without paying. I've seen it happen before.

Makes sense to me.

Having read the thread that followed to this point, I wouldn't want to test the legal watersover whether the bite proved intent to defraud or not.

Virginian683

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
At that point, she told me it was "against the law" for me to carry in there anyway. I informed her it wasn't and then gave her one of Jim's "OC Cards". She came back a while later and pointed to the part about "CC and OC in resturants" and told me the card plainly said it was illegal to carry there. :banghead::banghead::banghead:.
Dude it's Hooters....they don't hire their waitresses based on a literacy test. :quirky

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I did notice when we walked in that some guys in Army ACU's gave me :shock:and no one else even seemed to notice. I think she was covering for them.They probably "blew smoke up her @$$" by telling her it was illegal. They must have been from some communist northeastern state like NJ, NY or Massholia...

Silly flockers were probably REMF pogues in some sort of transportation school at nearby Fort Useless.
A "Puddle Pirate" bashing on Soldiers, go figure!

And speaking of transportation, which federal department did Puddle Pirates fall under for most of your career? Is it Department of Defense? Nope! That's right it was the Department of Transportation.

Riana

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
At that point, she told me it was "against the law" for me to carry in there anyway. I informed her it wasn't and then gave her one of Jim's "OC Cards". She came back a while later and pointed to the part about "CC and OC in resturants" and told me the card plainly said it was illegal to carry there. :banghead::banghead::banghead:.
Dude it's Hooters....they don't hire their waitresses based on a literacy test. :quirky
:lol::lol::lol: