• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just a heads up for Friday 11-6-2009

FMCDH

imported post

I will be attending the memorial in uniform.

Unfortunately, that excludes me from representing OCDO in any way, but that's not really why I am attending to begin with.

Not sure how many people are going to be there, but if you are going to be there and happen to see a Coast Guard contingent, feel free to say hi. :)

Batousaii

imported post

Dang, thats a work day for me, and with traffic, it would be an all day event, or close to it

. My thoughts however will be with everyone there. I know the SPD has alot of sorrow to contend with, and even more for the family. I wish the best for all.

Bat

FMCDH

imported post

All I can say after attending the memorial is, solemn, and WOW.

The entire ceremony was from about 1300 to 1530, and it was very solemn, but as it needed to be.

Id say there were close to about 2000 people there, from LE to military and politicians and even just people off the street. The vast majority were from LE agencies from as far north as Canada, as east as Idaho, as South as Oregon and many others. The Canadian mounted police numbered probably close to 100 all by themselves.

A little laughing as Officer Brenton's fellow officers recounted their memories of him, and a lot of crying as we were all reminded what a tragic loss of a public servant this was.

I'm glad I went, and I feel privileged to have been able to honor his memory side by side with all the other men and woman in uniform.

Semper Honos my brother.

Johnny Law

imported post

For those who have never attended a Police funeral/memorial, it is an experience you willNEVER forget. I attended my first one with only about 1 year on the force, when one ofthe Officers on my Dept. was killed in a gunfight.

Stoked

imported post

Been to too many, hope to never have to deal with the emotions of another one. I volunteered to cover shifts today so some of our guys could go.

joeroket

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
For those who have never attended a Police funeral/memorial, it is an experience you will NEVER forget. I attended my first one with only about 1 year on the force, when one of the Officers on my Dept. was killed in a gunfight.

I hope I never forget the ones I have been to. If I do it means I have forgotten the officer also. That is something I am not willing to do.

Marty Hayes

imported post

Every police officer should attend one as soon as possible into his or her carreer. Kind of puts things in perspective.

My first was when Detective Brian Orchard, Spokane Police Dept. was killed in 1983, by a scoundral named Lonnie Link. Link was out on bail, awaiting trial for 2nd degree possession of stolen property. The arresting officer on that charge? Your's truly.

I cried at that funeral, and have cried at all the rest I have attended too. Not afraid to admit it.

RIP Officer Brenton. Stay safe brothers and sisters.

FMCDH

imported post

Marty Hayes wrote:
In a strange coincidence, Lonnie Link applied two days ago for clemency.

http://www.kxly.com/news/21536239/detail.html
Sounds like he didn't give any "clemency" to the officer he murdered. He shouldn't receive any in return. In my mind, clemency is for those who didn't know the error of their actions. Murdering a public servant on the basis that he THOUGHT he was murdering someone else doesn't fall into the "error" category.

If it was up to me, he would have received the death penalty, not an all expenses paid trip to do nothing for the rest of his useless life.