• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper OC Dinner - Saturday, 12 December, @ 7:00pm

Regular_Joe

imported post

I'd like to coordinate an OC dinner in Culpeper sometime in late November/early December.

I have invited several folks that are interested in learning more about OC. Some only CC and others are just now buying their first handgun and/or attending a CHP class and would like to try OC'ing. My wife is attending a CHP class in a couple of weeks and I am inviting her class to attend as well.

I'm fairly new at OC and would really appreciate it if some of you veterans could attend and maybe speak for a few moments regarding OC/CC laws, the 2nd Amendment issue(s), membership in NRA/VCDL... My wife and I already really enjoyed your fellowship at a recent Richmond OC dinner!

I am also hoping that this can kick off an OC group here in the Culpeper/Warrenton area.

For you Culpeper folks, what location do you think best? I was thinking the banquet room at Ledo's...? We could also grab several tables at Ruby Tuesday.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are a bunch of us "veterans" who are always up for a road trip. Just set the date & place.

The point of an OC dinner, IMNSHO, is not to get someone to spout off on the law but to foster fellowship among likeminded folks. If you want a lecture on the law you really ought to hire someone who can be held accountable for what they tell you. On the other hand, an OC dinner is a great place for swapping stories, true stories, and tales of glory about OC experiences and what you will do "the next time". About the only thing we don't have happen is the Texas DPS officer who goes over and whacks the passenger up side the head for what he was going to say 10 miles down the road (unless ProShooter shows up).

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
About the only thing we don't have happen is the Texas DPS officer who goes over and whacks the passenger up side the head for what he was going to say 10 miles down the road (unless ProShooter shows up).

Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

I would like to nominate myself as Sergeant-at-arms for this rowdy bunch.

Regular_Joe

imported post

skidmark wrote:
There are a bunch of us "veterans" who are always up for a road trip. Just set the date & place.

The point of an OC dinner, IMNSHO, is not to get someone to spout off on the law but to foster fellowship among likeminded folks. If you want a lecture on the law you really ought to hire someone who can be held accountable for what they tell you. On the other hand, an OC dinner is a great place for swapping stories, true stories, and tales of glory about OC experiences and what you will do "the next time". About the only thing we don't have happen is the Texas DPS officer who goes over and whacks the passenger up side the head for what he was going to say 10 miles down the road (unless ProShooter shows up).

stay safe.

skidmark
Completely agree about the fun and fellowship! No, I don't want the lecture hall experience... From a newbie perspective, though, there is some hesitance (a cultural factor) and fear (unfamiliar with the right and law) that can get in the way of OC'ing.

I am still surprised by the "Oh, you can do THAT in Virginia?" responses I get from folks have NRA stickers on their cars. Also, people aren't aware that the 2A continues to be under attack. These topics can probably occur naturally in the table discussions - I just want our first timers to leave informed and affirmed!

(IMNSHO?)

Regular_Joe

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:
About the only thing we don't have happen is the Texas DPS officer who goes over and whacks the passenger up side the head for what he was going to say 10 miles down the road (unless ProShooter shows up).

Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

I would like to nominate myself as Sergeant-at-arms for this rowdy bunch.
Nomination seconded and accepted.

(and from skidmark's note above I think I should warn you that Culpeper hosts a VSP facility...) ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
(and from skidmark's note above I think I should warn you that Culpeper hosts a VSP facility...) ;)
That's ok, my nickname used to be Trooper.....I can handle myself.

Please ................ not until after dinner.

And I'll donate $1.00 towards the hiring of ProShooter as a certified instructor to discuss OC issues. Just watch out for his reckless handling of water pistols :uhoh:.

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
That's ok, my nickname used to be Trooper.....I can handle myself.

Please ................ not until after dinner.

And I'll donate $1.00 towards the hiring of ProShooter as a certified instructor to discuss OC issues. Just watch out for his reckless handling of water pistols :uhoh:.

stay safe.

skidmark
my water pistol is rarely ever loaded!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd like to attend; I'm fairly knowledgeable, and I'm a good speaker. Probably not as knowledgeable as ProShooter, but I've also been involved with OCDO since very near the beginning, and with VCDL for a number of years, so I can help out.

Would have to be a Saturday evening if I'm to attend; it would take me 3 hours to get there after work on a Friday.

Regular_Joe

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Count me in. And don't believe ProShooter about his water pistols - I've seen how much he drools!

stay safe.

skidmark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
The Culpeper OC Dinner is Saturday, 12 December, @ 7:00pm.

If I remember, there is a nice restaurant on one of the corners of Davis & Main in Culpeper. But this http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=culpeper,+virginia&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.496446,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Culpeper,+Virginia&ll=38.475162,-77.996664&spn=0.040183,0.090895&z=14&iwloc=Agives a whole lot of possibilities. I'll wait till closer to the meet-up for you to post the specific location.

stay safe.

skidmark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Oh wow, I thought Culpepper was a LOT closer.... And in the other direction. :shock:

AbNo - were you ever a 2nd Lt.? :p

stay safe.

skidmark