• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to convert your liberal friends (to win next election)

drjoker

imported post

In order to win the next election, we have to do more than just preach to the choir. We have to convert our liberal friends. Here's how I converted a flaming liberal friend of mine to support the 2nd amendment. You may copy me, do something similar, or think something up original for yourself. The key to successful conversion is to have them think that they came up with the idea themselves. DO NOT preach to them nor pound them with facts. Allow them to arrive at the conclusion themselves emotionally. Without delving too much into psychology and sales techniques, the short version is that people make decisions on an emotional basis and then use logic to rationalize it. Very few people actually make logical decisions, so the most successful conversion is on an emotional appeal that allows them to arrive at the conclusion themselves, not a conclusion that is thrusted upon them.

I have this female friend (let's call her "E") and we went out for dinner together. This friend of mine is a flaming liberal who voted for 0bama. The topic of conversation was stalkers. I told her that I have this friend of a friend who was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend who threatened to kill her. "She should get a restraining order," was E's response. "She did, but it only infuriated him. He beat her up, robbed her, and warned her that if she didn't cancel the restraining order, he's gonna kill her," I replied. "Well, he beat her up, so she should go to the police and have him arrested," E replied. "She did, but he's out on bail and she's scared as heck," I answered. "What do you think she should do?" I innocently asked. E thought for a long second..., "I'm opposed to guns, but in this case, I think she should get one. Although most guns are used in crime and suicides, I think that in this situation, the benefits outweigh the risks." "Well, a concealed handgun license would take up to 9 months to get approved (my CHL took 9 months to arrive)," I replied. "Then, she should hire an armed guard to guard her at her workplace and make sure that nobody follows her home (this stalked friend of mine is a high-paid exec)," she replied. "I agree, but what if something like that happens to you? You can't afford an armed guard," I said. Silence. "You know what you should do? You should get a concealed handgun license as an insurance policy. That way, if something like this ever happens to you, you'll have the CHL when you need it, so you don't have to wait 9 months," I said. E nods her head in agreement, but she hesitates, "Well, guns are dangerous. I don't want to buy a gun." "No, you don't have to buy a gun. That's not what I suggested that you do. I suggest that you buy an insurance policy against stalkers and rapists. Just get the concealed handgun license so that it's there if you need it. Get the CHL without buying a gun. You can get a gun at any time, but the CHL takes months." She nods her head in agreement. "If you'd like, I can do you a favor. We can go to the range tomorrow and I'll teach you firearms safety. Then, I can teach you how to shoot an auto pistol without jamming it," I said. I explained that half the ladies in my CHL class had to re-take the shooting part of the exam because they jammed their Glocks (I didn't know that was possible). They flinched and limp-wristed. "Sure, I'd like that," she replied. "Let's go tomorrow. I'll pick you up at X o'clock," I said. "O.K." she answered.

Yay! Now, I'm hoping that she'll enjoy shooting so that she'll be a convert. At the very least, she'll be a CHL holder and elected officials look at things like the number of NRA members and CHL holders before voting on any gun control laws. So, whether she knows it or not, she's now supporting 2nd amendment rights right alongside me even though she's an 0bama voting flaming liberal!

Folks, we have to convert our liberal friends or our 2nd amendment rights will be taken away from us forever. Don't believe it can happen? Look at Australia, Great Britain, and ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES ON PLANET EARTH. America is the last remaining country that still has the right to bear arms. We are the last holdout. I invite you to suddenly realize that you have to convert your liberal friends and acquaintances. Failure to do so will mean our doom.

BTW, you know what would make a perfect holiday gift? Get your gun owning friends or family members who are not members of the NRA the gift of a NRA membership and/or a TSRA membership. Elected officials also look at the number of NRA and/or TSRA members before voting on any gun ban laws. The more members these organizations have, the more clout they'll have in Washington. NRA membership includes a neat NRA baseball cap and a subscription to a cool gun magazine.

C'mon people, let's get rolling so that we'll win the next election!

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
patriot.gif
texasflag.gif
fire.gif

P.S. Notice how I did NOT argue with her point that "guns are used in murders and suicides." Nobody likes an arguer and nobody likes to have ideas forced upon them. People only like ideas that they thought of themselves (or think that they thought of themselves). Notice how I manipulated her to come up with the idea to buy a gun. She thought of it and I did not mention it to her. Furthermore, the idea of getting firearms instruction appealed to her on an emotional, not logical level. Not only did this approach work with this female friend of mine, but I also used this approach to get my flaming liberal wife to agree to sign up for a CHL class. My wife is still won't allow me to have guns in the house and my liberal female friend still won't buy a gun, but at least I've persuaded them to support 2nd Amendment rights by signing up for CHL classes. Yay!

clapping.gif
fire.gif
anim_bannana.gif

Tawnos

imported post

In short: people hate thinking, it's better to manipulate them using fear or religion (I repeat myself) to get them to your side.

It's sad, but in many ways I know you're right. People do generally tend towards making emotional decisions they justify with (il)logic, not sensible decisions they reason out. My only question for you: what state are you in that a CHL takes months to get?

*edit* and your wife says no firearms in the house and you let this just go like that?... oookay

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

drjoker wrote:
In order to win the next election, we have to do more than just preach to the choir. We have to convert our liberal friends. Here's how I converted a flaming liberal friend of mine to support the 2nd amendment. You may copy me, do something similar, or think something up original for yourself. The key to successful conversion is to have them think that they came up with the idea themselves. DO NOT preach to them nor pound them with facts. Allow them to arrive at the conclusion themselves emotionally. Without delving too much into psychology and sales techniques, the short version is that people make decisions on an emotional basis and then use logic to rationalize it. Very few people actually make logical decisions, so the most successful conversion is on an emotional appeal that allows them to arrive at the conclusion themselves, not a conclusion that is thrusted upon them.

I have this female friend (let's call her "E") and we went out for dinner together. This friend of mine is a flaming liberal who voted for 0bama. The topic of conversation was stalkers. I told her that I have this friend of a friend who was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend who threatened to kill her. "She should get a restraining order," was E's response. "She did, but it only infuriated him. He beat her up, robbed her, and warned her that if she didn't cancel the restraining order, he's gonna kill her," I replied. "Well, he beat her up, so she should go to the police and have him arrested," E replied. "She did, but he's out on bail and she's scared as heck," I answered. "What do you think she should do?" I innocently asked. E thought for a long second..., "I'm opposed to guns, but in this case, I think she should get one. Although most guns are used in crime and suicides, I think that in this situation, the benefits outweigh the risks." "Well, a concealed handgun license would take up to 9 months to get approved (my CHL took 9 months to arrive)," I replied. "Then, she should hire an armed guard to guard her at her workplace and make sure that nobody follows her home (this stalked friend of mine is a high-paid exec)," she replied. "I agree, but what if something like that happens to you? You can't afford an armed guard," I said. Silence. "You know what you should do? You should get a concealed handgun license as an insurance policy. That way, if something like this ever happens to you, you'll have the CHL when you need it, so you don't have to wait 9 months," I said. E nods her head in agreement, but she hesitates, "Well, guns are dangerous. I don't want to buy a gun." "No, you don't have to buy a gun. That's not what I suggested that you do. I suggest that you buy an insurance policy against stalkers and rapists. Just get the concealed handgun license so that it's there if you need it. Get the CHL without buying a gun. You can get a gun at any time, but the CHL takes months." She nods her head in agreement. "If you'd like, I can do you a favor. We can go to the range tomorrow and I'll teach you firearms safety. Then, I can teach you how to shoot an auto pistol without jamming it," I said. I explained that half the ladies in my CHL class had to re-take the shooting part of the exam because they jammed their Glocks (I didn't know that was possible). They flinched and limp-wristed. "Sure, I'd like that," she replied. "Let's go tomorrow. I'll pick you up at X o'clock," I said. "O.K." she answered.

Yay! Now, I'm hoping that she'll enjoy shooting so that she'll be a convert. At the very least, she'll be a CHL holder and elected officials look at things like the number of NRA members and CHL holders before voting on any gun control laws. So, whether she knows it or not, she's now supporting 2nd amendment rights right alongside me even though she's an 0bama voting flaming liberal!

Folks, we have to convert our liberal friends or our 2nd amendment rights will be taken away from us forever. Don't believe it can happen? Look at Australia, Great Britain, and ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES ON PLANET EARTH. America is the last remaining country that still has the right to bear arms. We are the last holdout. I invite you to suddenly realize that you have to convert your liberal friends and acquaintances. Failure to do so will mean our doom.

BTW, you know what would make a perfect holiday gift? Get your gun owning friends or family members who are not members of the NRA the gift of a NRA membership and/or a TSRA membership. Elected officials also look at the number of NRA and/or TSRA members before voting on any gun ban laws. The more members these organizations have, the more clout they'll have in Washington. NRA membership includes a neat NRA baseball cap and a subscription to a cool gun magazine.

C'mon people, let's get rolling so that we'll win the next election!

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
patriot.gif
texasflag.gif
fire.gif

P.S. Notice how I did NOT argue with her point that "guns are used in murders and suicides." Nobody likes an arguer and nobody likes to have ideas forced upon them. People only like ideas that they thought of themselves (or think that they thought of themselves). Notice how I manipulated her to come up with the idea to buy a gun. She thought of it and I did not mention it to her. Furthermore, the idea of getting firearms instruction appealed to her on an emotional, not logical level. Not only did this approach work with this female friend of mine, but I also used this approach to get my flaming liberal wife to agree to sign up for a CHL class. My wife is still won't allow me to have guns in the house and my liberal female friend still won't buy a gun, but at least I've persuaded them to support 2nd Amendment rights by signing up for CHL classes. Yay!

clapping.gif
fire.gif
anim_bannana.gif
You make a good argument here for a passive way to influence someone with opposing ideas. However there are still those who, try as we might, are not about to submit themselves to reality and switch their position on this topic. I have been in a number of discussions with people who are clearly anti-gun and even anti self-defense (I prefer not to argue to the point of an emotional deadend) and I like to hit them with this little question;

In the final seconds of your life just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun.

It's interesting to watch them squirm with this one while trying to come up with an answer that still allows them to keep their side of the subject in tact. One co-worker answered to this question in the following way. "I'd rather neither one had a gun". Of course, that's no answer because it evades the question. For more fun, substitute a child as the subject of the question... that really gets them where it hurts.

But like you, I would rather try to present logic and reality to someone who has an opposing position with this subject in hopes that they see the world for what it is and what can really happen to them. I have had a few anti-gun types come to me wanting to take them or one of their kids shooting or teach them about firearms because they trust me as someone who knows a few things and is responsible. That is both an honor to me and something I see as an opportunity to give them some information that could save them down the road.

Incidentally, I have to ask. You say your wife "still won't allow me to have guns in the house". How does that work? Why allow her to dictate something so important? (Believe me, I am just curious and am in no way looking to start a heated discussion. If this works for you, that's fine. It's just that it is so foreign to me.)

CommonMan101

imported post

Yeah. I have walked more than one liberal through things that have them standing squarely in a more "conservative" stance at the end in agreement with me. One was so shocked at the realization he just agreed to everything against his philosophy he just reverted instantly and stuttered the same ol same ol just because he didn't want to admit he was wrong before. Once you apply real life to these philosophies and put them in the scene they see things differently.

That said, drjoker, I have a few questions about what you wrote:Since there is a 6 month limit on Texas DPS to make a final decision on a CHL how did it go 9 months- what happened? Never heard of that before.And do you even carry at all considering you said a gun is not allowed in the home? Do you leave it in the car? Risky!These points seem very strange and un-workableto me.

Alexcabbie

imported post

OH I wish I had the patience, but these folks have knck for changing the subject adroitly. I was talking to a libtard about justification for the Iraq war (broken UN r3solutions that had to be enforced, etc) and he started screaming "FOUR THOUSAND DEAD!! " over and over. I wound up telling him to GTFO my cab and teling him I did not want his money, I wanted his libtard ass out of my life. Of course he "reported" me and i had to explain that he asked, I told him, and he started screaming in my ear in traffic so he posed a safety hazard.

A female friend however could not answer why, she being a pacifist, would - she not believing force is the answer to anything - call the police if a BG pulled her daughter out of the house and started grossly abusing her. Her answer? (what else) "THAT IS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!!"

Well, since the police are nothing if not force and she doesn't believe in force, no it isn't; but don't try to confuse these libtards with the facts. Their minds - like their facts - are made up.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So you didn't convert a "liberal" to anything, right? You convinced an anti-gunner that perhaps there is validity in knowing how to use a gun, and to be in a position to obtain one if she felt the need.

Big difference, IMHO.

TehGruu

imported post

Tess wrote:
So you didn't convert a "liberal" to anything, right? You convinced an anti-gunner that perhaps there is validity in knowing how to use a gun, and to be in a position to obtain one if she felt the need.

Big difference, IMHO.

Well this is true. I have a friend that is very liberal but is definatelynot anti-gun. However, most who are anti-gundo tend to be to the left.

-Gruu

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Convince everyone to vote libertarian!!!!
No, I'm working to convince everyone to vote based on issues, and to recognize each of us has to prioritize many issues.

Deanimator

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
In short: people hate thinking, it's better to manipulate them using fear or religion (I repeat myself) to get them to your side.

It's sad, but in many ways I know you're right. People do generally tend towards making emotional decisions they justify with (il)logic, not sensible decisions they reason out. My only question for you: what state are you in that a CHL takes months to get?

*edit* and your wife says no firearms in the house and you let this just go like that?... oookay
Most opposition to gun ownership and concealed/open carry is rooted in the effort to either bully or trick people into not thinking rationally and logically. Demonstrate the deceit of anti-gunners and most ignorant but honest people see the light.

Proving to people that the police have NO legal duty to "protect" them as individuals is half the battle. The next 25% is proving that the police don't have the ABILITY to protect individuals. Events like the Fort Hood Massacre go a long way toward proving the latter. As far as I know, the cops did EVERYTHING right... there are still 13 people dead because NONE of them had the ability to defend themselves in a meaningful way. Just ask an anti-gun friend, "Are you willing to be one of the 13 in order to make sure no NON-criminal has the ability to defend him or herself?"

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
OH I wish I had the patience, but these folks have knck for changing the subject adroitly.
Only if you let them. Don't. I don't.

They may end the conversation, but they're NEVER going to change the subject on me, or the plain meanings of words. I'm not having it. I never have throughout twenty some odd years in FidoNet and usenet. I know the other side's arguments better than 99% of the people who mindlessly parrot them. You can't defend an argument if all you can do is repeat it like an automaton. A normal person will get embarrassed by that very quickly.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Tess wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Convince everyone to vote libertarian!!!!
No, I'm working to convince everyone to vote based on issues, and to recognize each of us has to prioritize many issues.
I don't want the government in our issues, thats the problem,otherwise I agree it just seemslike libertarians are the closest thing to a party that would be like that. I really don't even believe in parties, but someone has to turn thisboat away from the waterfall thatDems and Repubs are steering us toward.

400HP

imported post

Umm, wouldn't be easier to just stop feeding them, lending them money and stuff? :lol:

Alexcabbie

imported post

Vote Libertarian and ensure the DemonRatz run the country forever.

Third parties in a Presidential race ALWAYS manage only to steal votes away from the mainstream party closest to the voter's ideals and values. As exasperaating as the Republicans are, they are a damn sight less a threat than the DemonRatz are.

And be very mindful that the Ratz are going full steam ahead and their intent is an absolute one-party takeover of the Federal government by - among other things - forcing EVERYONE to be dependent on Federal largesse for their well-being. The next two elections are ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL and the Ratz might even infiltrate the Libertarians to throw a monkey wrench into 2010. These peole are criminals, and they are desperate.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I have a close friend that moved to the uber-conservative northern part of Wisconsin from the uber-liberal northern section of Illinois. He left to get away from the flaming liberal anti self-defense liberal goofballs. His handicapped teengae son was indoctrinated to be a liberal by the school system down there, and it stuck well in his mind.

The kid was pissed-off to no end when his father bought his first handgun, he was always razzing the old-man, saying he was making up for a certain "shortcoming" and other typical anti-gun emotional basedshizzle.

Me and the kid always got along, he is very intelligent but suffers from a mild case Cerebral Palsey which keeps him in a wheelchair most of the day with a rottweiler forhis service dog. Me and his dad took him out shooting, he did very well and I think it is because of his video gaming skills. But he still thinks it is stupid to have a gun in the business and the home. He is totally against open-carry, and equally against concealed carry. He has also been to gun shows with us, and started showing a deeper interest when he got to hold an actual M1 Garand instead of just seeing the sights on a video game. I do not think he would be able to shoot an M1 in real life due to physical weakness. But the shooting of a handgun, and seeing the actual guns video games are modeled after switched his attitude fairly quickly.
As I mentioned, the kid is very intelligent, like near genius level. He quickly realized that a firearm is a very useful tool to defend yourself. His dislike of firearms and their ownership were just a product of the environment he learned in school in an anti-gun state. The most anti-gun state in the USA IMO.

The biggest problem with getting liberal women to be around firearms is the environment that they need to be in to see them. Most gun-shops and gun-shows the air is thick with testosterone and it makes them very uncomfortable at a subconscious level.
Just as I am very uncomfortable being around pregnant women, I am sure women feel the same way around men with testerone dripping onto their shoes and running down the walls it is so thick with it. (I am sure you know what I am talking about)
They women do not even need to be visibly pregnant and it affects me.
I get a raging headache if I am near a pregant women, I believe it is areactionfrom over exposure to estrogen.

So, if you have a female friend that you want to flip over to accpeting firearms for what they are (A useful tool) try to do it in an environment that is not full of men, have another woman show her how to shoot, and at a range that is not filled with men. Small stuff like this does make a huge difference.

KBCraig

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

Not forever, just long enough for the Repugnicants to figure out they can't win without us, and they'll be without us as long as they keep trying to out-"big government" the Dems.

The moment the GOP starts running principled Constitution-minded candidates who keep their promises to reduce the size and scope of government, they will start winning.

Until then, it really doesn't matter which side is in power, because they're the same.

Alexcabbie

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

Not forever, just long enough for the Repugnicants to figure out they can't win without us, and they'll be without us as long as they keep trying to out-"big government" the Dems.

The moment the GOP starts running principled Constitution-minded candidates who keep their promises to reduce the size and scope of government, they will start winning.

Until then, it really doesn't matter which side is in power, because they're the same.

Gotta disagree with you my brother. This Obamacare business is an appalling attempt to open up a back door to total abrogation of the Constitution. It is the most dangerous threat to American liberty in the history of this nation. It matters right now TREMENDOUSLY "which side is in power". The Ratz are trying to gussy up chains and slavery as garlands and corsages.

The problem with the Republicans is that they have inexplicably been convinced that becoming more "moderate" (translation: DemonRat Lite) is essential to winning. BUT they have been shown twice that all this does is to basically say that the Ratz are right. Sort of like back in - what was it, 1983? - Coca Cola tried to reformulate its drink to be "more like Pepsi" It bombed.

I am not a Republican, I am an independent conservative nationalist. And I do not always vote Republican just for the sake of voting Republican. In the last contested Alexandria Sheriff's race there were two candidates: Bill Cleveland; a Republican who was a Capitol Police officer with a sterling record and Detective Dana Lawhorne, an Alexandria Police investigator. Cleveland is Republican and Lawhorn is a Democrat. I voted for Lawhorne because, having been a local police officer he was more likely to have a working knowledge of the local Sheriff's Office and was probably better prepared to co-ordinate law enforcement operations with the Police Department should that contingency arise. If I truly believe a Democrat will do a better job, I have no problem voting for him/her.

But I will never, ever EVER vote for a DemonRat. And there is a difference.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

Gotta disagree with you my brother. This Obamacare business is an appalling attempt to open up a back door to total abrogation of the Constitution. It is the most dangerous threat to American liberty in the history of this nation. It matters right now TREMENDOUSLY "which side is in power". The Ratz are trying to gussy up chains and slavery as garlands and corsages.

The problem with the Republicans is that they have inexplicably been convinced that becoming more "moderate" (translation: DemonRat Lite) is essential to winning. BUT they have been shown twice that all this does is to basically say that the Ratz are right. Sort of like back in - what was it, 1983? - Coca Cola tried to reformulate its drink to be "more like Pepsi" It bombed.

I am not a Republican, I am an independent conservative nationalist. And I do not always vote Republican just for the sake of voting Republican. In the last contested Alexandria Sheriff's race there were two candidates: Bill Cleveland; a Republican who was a Capitol Police officer with a sterling record and Detective Dana Lawhorne, an Alexandria Police investigator. Cleveland is Republican and Lawhorn is a Democrat. I voted for Lawhorne because, having been a local police officer he was more likely to have a working knowledge of the local Sheriff's Office and was probably better prepared to co-ordinate law enforcement operations with the Police Department should that contingency arise. If I truly believe a Democrat will do a better job, I have no problem voting for him/her.

But I will never, ever EVER vote for a DemonRat. And there is a difference.
This is absolutely true. For those who may doubt the truth of this statement, take a moment and sit down. Write down all the things you can think of that could be affected by a government controlled/run healthcare program. And I don't mean those things which, on the surface, are obvious. I mean those things which are hiding under the surface.

DSS or CPS visits to your home to check on your children to see how they're doing. Questions to the little ones such as, "do you have nice meals - what kinds of meals do you have?", "do mommy and daddy spend time with you?", "is there a gun in the house?", "do any of your friends have guns in their homes?", "do mommy or daddy ever spank you?". Just let your list ramble.

Do you eat at fast food restaurants for lunch? Do you smoke or drink? How often and how much? And on and on and on.

You see, through something like government healthcare, everything you do could have an effect on others and after all... we must all consider what we do in the light of what is best for the common good of all. Good bye individualism. Good bye traditional American beliefs, strengths, traditions, culture, and life. Hello to collectivism. Hello to socialism. Hello to one worldism.