Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Moving to Michigan!

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    Hello.

    I am moving to Michigan, from Indiana.

    I have a License To Carry Handgun, issued in Indiana.

    I would like to know if I need to get a "License to Purchase" in Michigan? Is there some form of registration? (Thought registration requirements were ruled to be unconstitutional?) I heard some information on the "safety inspection" being repealed; does that affect me, as a new Michigan resident?

    Additionally, are CPLs shall-issue or may-issue? Do "gun boards" commonly waive the 6-month requirement for LTCH holders, or do they choose not to?

    Any relevant information is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Macomb County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,865

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Phoenixphire wrote:
    Hello.

    I am moving to Michigan, from Indiana.

    I have a License To Carry Handgun, issued in Indiana.

    I would like to know if I need to get a "License to Purchase" in Michigan? Is there some form of registration? (Thought registration requirements were ruled to be unconstitutional?) I heard some information on the "safety inspection" being repealed; does that affect me, as a new Michigan resident?

    Additionally, are CPLs shall-issue or may-issue? Do "gun boards" commonly waive the 6-month requirement for LTCH holders, or do they choose not to?

    Any relevant information is appreciated.
    6-month requirement is not often waived. Any iota of power they're granted, they choose to use (comes with the territory - politicians and all). So, they'll make you wait until you've been here 6 months, more likely than not.

    CPL's, fortunately, are "Shall-issue" in this state. So on month 5 of your residency, Put an application in. On Month 4 of your residency, take an NRA PP in the Home course (Prerequisite of the CPL). If you need a recommendation - let us know the area and we can hook you up with some great teachers.

    Registration of your pistols (and all rifles less than 30" in Overall Length) is required in Michigan. I'm not sure where you heard that it's unconstitutional... Do you have any reference for that? Long guns over 30" in length do not require registration. The "Safety inspection" is the old registration system. Now, you just need to head to the local cop shop, tell them you moved to the state, and need to register X amount of handguns. Fill the "License to purchase" out with your name as buyer and seller, and voila.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    With the pistol purchase permits, don't pay the fee to have a PD secretary notarize them. Take them to whatever bank or credit union you sign up at, and have them do it free.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    With the pistol purchase permits, don't pay the fee to have a PD secretary notarize them. Take them to whatever bank or credit union you sign up at, and have them do it free.
    HUH? I've never had to bring a purchase permit anywhere. Is this something new since the safety inspection disappeared? I've only ever gone to the Sheriff's Dept and told them I needed a purchase permit. They'd ask for my ID, and a few minutes later I was out the door with a purchase permit in hand.
    Rand Paul 2016

  6. #6
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    6-month requirement is not often waived. Any iota of power they're granted, they choose to use (comes with the territory - politicians and all). So, they'll make you wait until you've been here 6 months, more likely than not.

    CPL's, fortunately, are "Shall-issue" in this state. So on month 5 of your residency, Put an application in. On Month 4 of your residency, take an NRA PP in the Home course (Prerequisite of the CPL). If you need a recommendation - let us know the area and we can hook you up with some great teachers.

    Registration of your pistols (and all rifles less than 30" in Overall Length) is required in Michigan. I'm not sure where you heard that it's unconstitutional... Do you have any reference for that? Long guns over 30" in length do not require registration. The "Safety inspection" is the old registration system. Now, you just need to head to the local cop shop, tell them you moved to the state, and need to register X amount of handguns. Fill the "License to purchase" out with your name as buyer and seller, and voila.
    I would guess the 6 month requirement being waived would very greatly among the counties. Nothing in this state is common when it comes to the counties control over the handgun permit/license process. Some counties don't require you to attend a gun board meeting for your CPL, others make you go, but never ask you anything, others ask all kinds of questions. Some list times when you can get purchase permits, or (in the old days) get your gun registered. Others will do it 24/7.

    Some areas (this was actually State Police) will return an unregistered handgun to it's owner....others probably would have arrested the person for having an unregistered handgun and had the thing destroyed.

    Depending on the area you are moving too, and if you've got a place to live yet or not, you may want to pick a county that's the most gun friendly in the area to live in.
    Most of the counties downstate are pretty small, so if you are going to live in Detroit (aka south of a line from muskegon to bay city, except SW corner of state), or Chicago (SW corner of state) you should be able to find a half way decent gun friendly county
    Rand Paul 2016

  7. #7
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    Yooper wrote:
    I would guess the 6 month requirement being waived would very greatly among the counties. Nothing in this state is common when it comes to the counties control over the handgun permit/license process. Some counties don't require you to attend a gun board meeting for your CPL, others make you go, but never ask you anything, others ask all kinds of questions.
    Oakland county is turning out to not be that bad. We've got a friend on the gun board, Mark Cortis. The Sheriff describes himself as very pro gun, and philosophically behind open carry. He also saw to it that the gun board processes CPL paperwork like a store selling a product, rather than as a system to process applicants and judge them. And I can't remember having cop trouble here lately with OC.

    Don't get me wrong, mean police, a bad job market, and terrible gun laws make this an awful state to live in. And the overly far distance of national forests from the detroit area is absolutely disgusting. But it'll do if it has to.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    273

    Post imported post

    MSP website:

    10. I have just moved to Michigan from another state. How much time do I have to register my pistols?

    MCL 28.422 Upon establishing legal residency, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement agency, pass the basic safety questionnaire, and complete a License to Purchase.

    MCL 28.422 - http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ol5...ame=mcl-28-422

    It's a long read, but it should answer your questions.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    With the pistol purchase permits, don't pay the fee to have a PD secretary notarize them. Take them to whatever bank or credit union you sign up at, and have them do it free.
    Many places don't charge a fee. Battle Creek PD doesn't. If they charge a fee they have to allow you to take it to a notary of your choice. If they don't want it leaving the building until it's complete then they're not supposed tocharge you.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •