• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Michigan!

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hello.

I am moving to Michigan, from Indiana.

I have a License To Carry Handgun, issued in Indiana.

I would like to know if I need to get a "License to Purchase" in Michigan? Is there some form of registration? (Thought registration requirements were ruled to be unconstitutional?) I heard some information on the "safety inspection" being repealed; does that affect me, as a new Michigan resident?

Additionally, are CPLs shall-issue or may-issue? Do "gun boards" commonly waive the 6-month requirement for LTCH holders, or do they choose not to?

Any relevant information is appreciated.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
Hello.

I am moving to Michigan, from Indiana.

I have a License To Carry Handgun, issued in Indiana.

I would like to know if I need to get a "License to Purchase" in Michigan? Is there some form of registration? (Thought registration requirements were ruled to be unconstitutional?) I heard some information on the "safety inspection" being repealed; does that affect me, as a new Michigan resident?

Additionally, are CPLs shall-issue or may-issue? Do "gun boards" commonly waive the 6-month requirement for LTCH holders, or do they choose not to?

Any relevant information is appreciated.

6-month requirement is not often waived. Any iota of power they're granted, they choose to use (comes with the territory - politicians and all). So, they'll make you wait until you've been here 6 months, more likely than not.

CPL's, fortunately, are "Shall-issue" in this state. So on month 5 of your residency, Put an application in. On Month 4 of your residency, take an NRA PP in the Home course (Prerequisite of the CPL). If you need a recommendation - let us know the area and we can hook you up with some great teachers.

Registration of your pistols (and all rifles less than 30" in Overall Length) is required in Michigan. I'm not sure where you heard that it's unconstitutional... Do you have any reference for that? Long guns over 30" in length do not require registration. The "Safety inspection" is the old registration system. Now, you just need to head to the local cop shop, tell them you moved to the state, and need to register X amount of handguns. Fill the "License to purchase" out with your name as buyer and seller, and voila.

Michigander

imported post

With the pistol purchase permits, don't pay the fee to have a PD secretary notarize them. Take them to whatever bank or credit union you sign up at, and have them do it free.

Yooper

imported post

Michigander wrote:
With the pistol purchase permits, don't pay the fee to have a PD secretary notarize them. Take them to whatever bank or credit union you sign up at, and have them do it free.
HUH? I've never had to bring a purchase permit anywhere. Is this something new since the safety inspection disappeared? I've only ever gone to the Sheriff's Dept and told them I needed a purchase permit. They'd ask for my ID, and a few minutes later I was out the door with a purchase permit in hand.

Yooper

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
6-month requirement is not often waived. Any iota of power they're granted, they choose to use (comes with the territory - politicians and all). So, they'll make you wait until you've been here 6 months, more likely than not.

CPL's, fortunately, are "Shall-issue" in this state. So on month 5 of your residency, Put an application in. On Month 4 of your residency, take an NRA PP in the Home course (Prerequisite of the CPL). If you need a recommendation - let us know the area and we can hook you up with some great teachers.

Registration of your pistols (and all rifles less than 30" in Overall Length) is required in Michigan. I'm not sure where you heard that it's unconstitutional... Do you have any reference for that? Long guns over 30" in length do not require registration. The "Safety inspection" is the old registration system. Now, you just need to head to the local cop shop, tell them you moved to the state, and need to register X amount of handguns. Fill the "License to purchase" out with your name as buyer and seller, and voila.
I would guess the 6 month requirement being waived would very greatly among the counties. Nothing in this state is common when it comes to the counties control over the handgun permit/license process. Some counties don't require you to attend a gun board meeting for your CPL, others make you go, but never ask you anything, others ask all kinds of questions. Some list times when you can get purchase permits, or (in the old days) get your gun registered. Others will do it 24/7.

Some areas (this was actually State Police) will return an unregistered handgun to it's owner....others probably would have arrested the person for having an unregistered handgun and had the thing destroyed.

Depending on the area you are moving too, and if you've got a place to live yet or not, you may want to pick a county that's the most gun friendly in the area to live in.
Most of the counties downstate are pretty small, so if you are going to live in Detroit (aka south of a line from muskegon to bay city, except SW corner of state), or Chicago (SW corner of state) you should be able to find a half way decent gun friendly county

Michigander

imported post

Yooper wrote:
I would guess the 6 month requirement being waived would very greatly among the counties. Nothing in this state is common when it comes to the counties control over the handgun permit/license process. Some counties don't require you to attend a gun board meeting for your CPL, others make you go, but never ask you anything, others ask all kinds of questions.
Oakland county is turning out to not be that bad. We've got a friend on the gun board, Mark Cortis. The Sheriff describes himself as very pro gun, and philosophically behind open carry. He also saw to it that the gun board processes CPL paperwork like a store selling a product, rather than as a system to process applicants and judge them. And I can't remember having cop trouble here lately with OC.

Don't get me wrong, mean police, a bad job market, and terrible gun laws make this an awful state to live in. And the overly far distance of national forests from the detroit area is absolutely disgusting. But it'll do if it has to.

Outdoorsman

Bronson

imported post

Michigander wrote:

Many places don't charge a fee. Battle Creek PD doesn't. If they charge a fee they have to allow you to take it to a notary of your choice. If they don't want it leaving the building until it's complete then they're not supposed tocharge you.

Bronson