Thread: Houston man kills home intruder.

Post imported post

Ooops! :shock:

SW Houston condo resident kills possible intruder

By DALE LEZON Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Nov. 4, 2009, 6:45PM

The resident of a southwest Houston condominium unit shot and killed a man he thought was an intruder early Wednesday morning, but then realized he knew the man.

The resident told police that at about 3 a.m. he heard banging noises outside his upstairs unit at a gated condominium complex in the 2000 block of Augusta, said Houston police homicide detective W.L. Meeler.

The resident, who told authorities that burglars had broken into his home several times before, retrieved a shotgun as a man entered his room, Meeler said.

The resident fired once, and the other man died at the scene, the detective said. Afterward, the resident said he realized he knew the dead man and called 911.

A car thought to belong to the dead man was outside the condominium unit with its engine and radio on and door open.

Authorities did not report any signs of forced entry, but Meeler indicated the front door might not have locked properly.

Meeler also said the resident said he had been handling the 12-gauge shotgun earlier and accidentally fired a blast into the ceiling around 10 p.m. Tuesday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6702332.html[/i]

Post imported post

Great.... ******* get a hold of a gun, has no idea how to use it (obvious by the accidental shot in the ceiling) and now all of the anti-gunners are going to spin this to try to get stronger gun control.....

Post imported post

this is why i tell people to put a goodlight on home defense weapons.

make sure who your shooting is somebody want to shoot.

i know i have friends that periodically stop by at late hours of the night without notice,and i wouldnt want to shoot one of them,mistaking them for a criminal.

which is why my home weapon has a light onit,and i have shinedvarious friendsin the face with it a few times,needless to say theycall or dont pound on the door anymore.

as for accidental shooting of the cieling,sounds like my ex,only with my foot.

some people are just unsafe

not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

i know i have friends that periodically stop by at late hours of the night without notice,and i wouldnt want to shoot one of them,mistaking them for a criminal.

which is why my home weapon has a light onit,and i have shinedvarious friendsin the face with it a few times,needless to say theycall or dont pound on the door anymore.

This is why I train my friends

There are no knocks on my door without calls first. People you trust know your home defense plan and don't show up uninvited and knocking on the door after hours.

Friends of mine who have a key to the house don't just let themselves in becuase they know it will not end well.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    <snip>

Im sorry, did you just say your ex shot you in the foot? this would be whythey became your ex, correct?

Post imported post

ocgso wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    <snip>

There are no knocks on my door without calls first. People you trust know your home defense plan and don't show up uninvited and knocking on the door after hours.

Friends of mine who have a key to the house don't just let themselves in becuase they know it will not end well.
    Even friends with keys, that are invited over and expected, will at least knock/ring and identify themselves on the way in. just safer that way!

HELL! hubby knows hes got about5 secs through the door to say he's home before he hears a shotgun rack

Post imported post

ocgso wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:

Friends of mine who have a key to the house don't just let themselves in because they know it will not end well.
    THIS SIMPLY. Only a complete idiot who does not live at a residents shows up unannounced at that hour of the morning. If i have to go to a persons home that early I knock or ring the bell. I then step back enough in a light for them to see whom is at the door. I even would do such a crazy thing as call first. On average it takes a full 15 mins for a person to become fully awake. There are smart moves and dumb move and in this case it was a dumb move on both parties.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

Why was this a "possible" intruder? The guy burst in without invitation. By definition, he WAS an intruder.

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Why was this a "possible" intruder? The guy burst in without invitation. By definition, he WAS an intruder.
    He may of had standing permission? However, given the time of night it was dangerous to enter in such a manner. Even with standing permission it was reasonable to assume he was an intruder.

Also using ambiguous wording like that means if later the police decide there is more to the story and find it a criminal event you can't be pointed to as wrong.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    <snip>

Im sorry, did you just say your ex shot you in the foot? this would be whythey became your ex, correct?
    yes,i should note that it was a ruger 10/22 and the bullet went into the rubber sole just forward of the arch in my foot,but behind the toe,and it did not actually hit me.

cant get much closer then that for a near miss imo.

im looking right now for the boot,and then my camera,so i can post a picture of it.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ocgso wrote:
    My spine literally cringed on picture 3. Picture 4 didn't work.

Post imported post

wow,im glad it was only the sole that got hit in my case.

im certain now that the boot is at my cabin/deer camp.

250 miles north.

so may be awhile before i get ahold of it

but it was a military surplus leather boot,the ones the army currently wears with ACU's

Post imported post

Pic 4 should be the same as pic 3 but from the bottom of his foot instead of the top.......

Just be careful when you point a loaded gun downward and think it is pointed in a safe direction

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ocgso wrote:
    Pic 4 should be the same as pic 3 but from the bottom of his foot instead of the top.......

Just be careful when you point a loaded gun downward and think it is pointed in a safe direction
    I frequent a local indoor shooting range that I just love. Once, last month, I was in there shooting. Now, let me preface this by stating that rules are clear there (as well as a general rule of firearm safety) and state that all guns, loaded or not, while not holstered or put away in a case should be pointed downrange AT ALL TIMES.

Well guess what I see behind me, some ******* from the stall to my left is walking back and forth to a stall on my right to see someone he knows shooting. In his hand is his sidearm. And he is sweeping the floor (and my legs) with his damn gun. I gave him a look and I don't know if he understood it or not but I didn't catch him doing it again. I am non-confrontational and at that time I just chose not to say anything. I perhaps should have as one day, that fool make shoot himself or someone else in the leg, foot, or worse.