Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 carriers

Post imported post

Has anyone had an issue with their 1911 going off safety while being carried? I have ambi safeties (southpaw) on both my full size and commander sized 1911's and I'm finding them both off safety every time I carry. I'm using a left handed Galco Silhouette Hi Ride Belt Holster, which has a thumb break.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety that I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA, and I've occasionally found the safety in the off position. Another excellent reason to always followALL the rules of gun safety!

Post imported post

I carry in 3 holsters- Galco Skyops, Milt Sparks summer special, and a blackhawk serpa. I've only ever found the safety off once or twice while carrying in the blackhawk, and that is when i catch the edge of the gun against a door frame or something, so I usually immediately check it.

Post imported post

I carry my Colt Combat Commander in a Fobus. I found it off safety once and I've made it a habit to check it constantly. I don't havean ambi safety on it so as I make sure my shirt (or jacket) is tucked, I run my thumb up between by shirt and my gun...my thumb catches the safety and if it doesn't move, I know I'm good...if it does move,the safety was obviously off and is now on.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety that I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA, and I've occasionally found the safety in the off position. Another excellent reason to always followALL the rules of gun safety!
    Also, a point in favor of Condition 3 carry.

Probably why many people favor C3....

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:

I carry (as well as anybody I've ever talked to that carries a 1911) Condition 1...because I know the BG isn't going to wait for me to rack the slide and chamber a round.

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:

I carry (as well as anybody I've ever talked to that carries a 1911) Condition 1...because I know the BG isn't going to wait for me to rack the slide and chamber a round.
    What do you think, FAB?

What percentage of all1911 carriers use Condition 1?

What percentage use Condition 3?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I've never had mine come off of safety but I do check it frequently out of habit.

One of the great things about the 1911 is it's multiple safeties . Even if you carried it with the thumb safty off, the grip safety still makes it .....safe.

Hank, carrying with the hammer down is plain stupid! Even worse is the chamber empty. Might as well carry a stick.

Post imported post

Condition 1, in a variety of IWB and OWB holsters. Found safety off once in last eight years.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Condition 1, Kimber Ultra Carry II in Horsehide Leather Custom Holster.. Safety has never come off without my making it so.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Kimber stainless ultra carry II condition 1 in a Bianchi carrylok. Never had an issue with the safety

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Kimber stainless ultra carry II condition 1 in a Bianchi carrylok. Never had an issue with the safety
    Yeah, but hasthe "GAYZER" you have on that pistol ever accidentally activated?
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

I've had one holster that trips the safety on my Springfield. It's a low end leather paddle with a retention strap. I've replaced it with a Galco and I have not had it happen in the 2 years since.

The cheap one never did bother the safety on the Detonics though.

Post imported post

For those of you keeping score....

C1 4

C3 0

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    I've never had mine come off of safety but I do check it frequently out of habit.

One of the great things about the 1911 is it's multiple safeties . Even if you carried it with the thumb safty off, the grip safety still makes it .....safe.

Hank, carrying with the hammer down is plain stupid! Even worse is the chamber empty. Might as well carry a stick.
    Agreed. I'll be in the habit of checking it regularly, that's for sure - perhaps another holster will keep whatever is happening to not. Though I really like this holster, as it can handle any size 1911 I were to throw @ it.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Might as well carry a stick.
    I have a cell phone so I can call the police if I'm ever in trouble and my life depends on it.

But seriously. Condition 1. Please don't feed the troll.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II in a Serpa, never had an issue with the safety.

Edit: I carry condition 1.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Neither of my Glaco holsters (paddle and forward canted looped) for the Colt government has ever moved the safety lever. Of course, if you are familiar with the Colt slide safety you may understand why.

I always carry condition one.

Post imported post

C1 Always!

Post imported post

I actually posted about this some time ago concerning my Beretta M96. I had two holsters for it and they both would push the safety to the fire position when I snapped the strap in place.

SO..... I bought another holster for it at the last gun show. It seemed OK at first but now it does the same thing. :-( Relocating the snap up 3/8 of an inch on any of these holsters would fix the problem.

As for my 1911 guns, the holster I have for them doesn't make either one of them go to the fire position. At least it never has so far. Why is it so hard for holster makers to make a good holster? Do they ever try the holster on a "real" gun instead of the pink or blue rubber guns. Doesn't seem as though they do.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety...
    Hey OCG, you're #168 not #166 LOL!

Be careful, HankT thinks dimly of the OCDO Old Guard badge, he mumbled something about itconferring "elite" status a while back. I think he should stick to writing idiotic postulates and archiving OCDO to his hard drive for later trolling.

Post imported post

My Bersa Thunder.40 which they DO NOT make holsters for () has a Bianchi holster that fits it OK but it ALWAYS cuts the safety off after a period of time. So I'm always checking it. It's just the way the strap rubs against it.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    many DEAD people
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I carry a 1911. I carry CONDITION 1.

I use an Ambidextrous safety that I've Dremmeled to my own specifications.
    The right side safety is just a tiny little flat nub, but its also angled so that it requires specific concentrated effort to take off safety if absolutely necessary, yet hooks on your thumb to put safety on with less effort, left side of frame has been trimmed to be undersized, so its less profile, and a little too small to 'ride the safety' for some people. Also I use a Comp-Tac holster that comes up ABOVE the slide and safety against the skin, so that the safety has nothing to rub against. Understand most 1911's sold nowadays do not have safeties that are appropriate for most carry situations, barring huge bulky kydex duty rigs that have a safety guard. (i.e. class 2&3 police/tactical rigs) If you do want to use a class 1 (does not have high side piece between you and your gun above waistline. Please use a single side safety with very small profile, or like me a ambi trimmed so the off side is basically a one way switch, which you can use to check the safety much more easily than reaching through to safety on body side. I'm going to put a disclaimer and say you should have a gunsmith do this for you, and not use a dremmel and apply rust-o-leum with a Q-tip because you don't feel like getting it reblued, like I do. also I would never recommend changing the profile of the part of the thumb safety the spring plunger hits to make it require more effort to disengage, which I would not do but have heard of.

Also if you OC you need a RETENTION HOLSTER, no exuses. You will find the angle of many leather retention straps that like to trip your safety will line up to help keep it off with a non ambi medium to thin safety. You would be surprised how much of the time tis the fault of your ambi and not the holster.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety...
    Hey OCG, you're #168 not #166 LOL!

Be careful, HankT thinks dimly of the OCDO Old Guard badge, he mumbled something about itconferring "elite" status a while back. I think he should stick to writing idiotic postulates and archiving OCDO to his hard drive for later trolling.
    Dang, I don't know how I did that. Now I'll have to redo my avatar. Maybe I'll add some extra bling to it so it'll confer even MORE elite status than it already does, what with my Founder's Club Member status and all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast