• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 carriers

VaLiberty

imported post

Has anyone had an issue with their 1911 going off safety while being carried? I have ambi safeties (southpaw) on both my full size and commander sized 1911's and I'm finding them both off safety every time I carry. I'm using a left handed Galco Silhouette Hi Ride Belt Holster, which has a thumb break.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety that I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA, and I've occasionally found the safety in the off position. Another excellent reason to always followALL the rules of gun safety!

essayons

imported post

I carry in 3 holsters- Galco Skyops, Milt Sparks summer special, and a blackhawk serpa. I've only ever found the safety off once or twice while carrying in the blackhawk, and that is when i catch the edge of the gun against a door frame or something, so I usually immediately check it.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

I carry my Colt Combat Commander in a Fobus. I found it off safety once and I've made it a habit to check it constantly. I don't havean ambi safety on it so as I make sure my shirt (or jacket) is tucked, I run my thumb up between by shirt and my gun...my thumb catches the safety and if it doesn't move, I know I'm good...if it does move,the safety was obviously off and is now on.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety that I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA, and I've occasionally found the safety in the off position. Another excellent reason to always followALL the rules of gun safety!

Also, a point in favor of Condition 3 carry.

Probably why many people favor C3....

fully_armed_biker

imported post

HankT wrote:
OC-Glock19 wrote:

I carry (as well as anybody I've ever talked to that carries a 1911) Condition 1...because I know the BG isn't going to wait for me to rack the slide and chamber a round.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
HankT wrote:
OC-Glock19 wrote:

I carry (as well as anybody I've ever talked to that carries a 1911) Condition 1...because I know the BG isn't going to wait for me to rack the slide and chamber a round.
What do you think, FAB?

What percentage of all1911 carriers use Condition 1?

What percentage use Condition 3?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've never had mine come off of safety but I do check it frequently out of habit.

One of the great things about the 1911 is it's multiple safeties . Even if you carried it with the thumb safty off, the grip safety still makes it .....safe.

Hank, carrying with the hammer down is plain stupid! Even worse is the chamber empty. Might as well carry a stick.

ODA 226

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Kimber stainless ultra carry II condition 1 in a Bianchi carrylok. Never had an issue with the safety:)
Yeah, but hasthe "GAYZER" you have on that pistol ever accidentally activated? :lol:

67390FE

imported post

I've had one holster that trips the safety on my Springfield. It's a low end leather paddle with a retention strap. I've replaced it with a Galco and I have not had it happen in the 2 years since.

The cheap one never did bother the safety on the Detonics though.

VaLiberty

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I've never had mine come off of safety but I do check it frequently out of habit.

One of the great things about the 1911 is it's multiple safeties . Even if you carried it with the thumb safty off, the grip safety still makes it .....safe.

Hank, carrying with the hammer down is plain stupid! Even worse is the chamber empty. Might as well carry a stick.
Agreed. I'll be in the habit of checking it regularly, that's for sure - perhaps another holster will keep whatever is happening to not. Though I really like this holster, as it can handle any size 1911 I were to throw @ it.

Thanks all for the feedback.

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Might as well carry a stick.
I have a cell phone so I can call the police if I'm ever in trouble and my life depends on it.

:banghead:

But seriously. Condition 1. Please don't feed the troll.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neither of my Glaco holsters (paddle and forward canted looped) for the Colt government has ever moved the safety lever. Of course, if you are familiar with the Colt slide safety you may understand why. :cool:

I always carry condition one.

6L6GC

imported post

I actually posted about this some time ago concerning my Beretta M96. I had two holsters for it and they both would push the safety to the fire position when I snapped the strap in place.

SO..... I bought another holster for it at the last gun show. It seemed OK at first but now it does the same thing. :-( Relocating the snap up 3/8 of an inch on any of these holsters would fix the problem.

As for my 1911 guns, the holster I have for them doesn't make either one of them go to the fire position. At least it never has so far. Why is it so hard for holster makers to make a good holster? Do they ever try the holster on a "real" gun instead of the pink or blue rubber guns. Doesn't seem as though they do.