• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 carriers

IanB

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety...
Hey OCG, you're #168 not #166 LOL!

Be careful, HankT thinks dimly of the OCDO Old Guard badge, he mumbled something about itconferring "elite" status a while back. I think he should stick to writing idiotic postulates and archiving OCDO to his hard drive for later trolling.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

My Bersa Thunder.40 which they DO NOT make holsters for :)cuss:) has a Bianchi holster that fits it OK but it ALWAYS cuts the safety off after a period of time. So I'm always checking it. It's just the way the strap rubs against it.

simmonsjoe

imported post

I carry a 1911. I carry CONDITION 1.

I use an Ambidextrous safety that I've Dremmeled to my own specifications.
The right side safety is just a tiny little flat nub, but its also angled so that it requires specific concentrated effort to take off safety if absolutely necessary, yet hooks on your thumb to put safety on with less effort, left side of frame has been trimmed to be undersized, so its less profile, and a little too small to 'ride the safety' for some people. Also I use a Comp-Tac holster that comes up ABOVE the slide and safety against the skin, so that the safety has nothing to rub against. Understand most 1911's sold nowadays do not have safeties that are appropriate for most carry situations, barring huge bulky kydex duty rigs that have a safety guard. (i.e. class 2&3 police/tactical rigs) If you do want to use a class 1 (does not have high side piece between you and your gun above waistline. Please use a single side safety with very small profile, or like me a ambi trimmed so the off side is basically a one way switch, which you can use to check the safety much more easily than reaching through to safety on body side. I'm going to put a disclaimer and say you should have a gunsmith do this for you, and not use a dremmel and apply rust-o-leum with a Q-tip because you don't feel like getting it reblued, like I do. also I would never recommend changing the profile of the part of the thumb safety the spring plunger hits to make it require more effort to disengage, which I would not do but have heard of.

Also if you OC you need a RETENTION HOLSTER, no exuses. You will find the angle of many leather retention straps that like to trip your safety will line up to help keep it off with a non ambi medium to thin safety. You would be surprised how much of the time tis the fault of your ambi and not the holster.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
OC-Glock19 wrote:
I have a 1911 with an oversized ambidextrous safety...
Hey OCG, you're #168 not #166 LOL!

Be careful, HankT thinks dimly of the OCDO Old Guard badge, he mumbled something about itconferring "elite" status a while back. I think he should stick to writing idiotic postulates and archiving OCDO to his hard drive for later trolling.
Dang, I don't know how I did that. Now I'll have to redo my avatar. Maybe I'll add some extra bling to it so it'll confer even MORE elite status than it already does, what with my Founder's Club Member status and all. :cool:

mourneblade

imported post

I carry condition 1 about 90% of the time. I've never had the safety come off. When I first started carrying my 1911 I carried condition 3, then I carried cocked and locked with an empty chamber. After I was satisfied that the gun was safe I went to condition 1. I do check the safety a lot though.

simmonsjoe

imported post

mourneblade wrote:
I carry condition 1 about 90% of the time. I've never had the safety come off. When I first started carrying my 1911 I carried condition 3, then I carried cocked and locked with an empty chamber. After I was satisfied that the gun was safe I went to condition 1. I do check the safety a lot though.
Good call. some people will carry a 1911 in condition 2 if they aren't comfortable, failing to realize most SAO pistols aren't safe this way. Only guns with hammers that should do this are DA guns like the Beretta.

Dreamer

imported post

I carry a Para Ordnance S-14.45 in a Serpa CQC, and about 90% of the time I carry in Condition 3.

The only time I carry Condition 1 is on the range, or when I'm CCing in an IWB holster with a thumb strap that crosses the slide in front of the cocked hammer. In such a holster, even if the manual and grip safety should somehow fail me and the trigger somehow get depressed, the thumb strap should keep the hammer from impacting the firing pin...

I NEVER carry in Condition 2. It is, IMO, inherently unsafe for 1911's.

When I get my next .45 (which is going to be a Para Ordnance LDA compact) I WILL carry it in Condition 1, because the LDA action is fundamentally much safer to carry that way than an traditional Model 80 1911.

The way I see it, if Condition 3 carry is good enough for the IDF and Mossad, it's good enough for me. Racking the slide on the draw, if you know how to do it (and practice it regularly), only adds about 3/4 second to your "holstered-to-BANG" time.

If anyone out there is cocky enough to badmouth the tactics and weapon skills of the IDF, then frankly, I wouldn't put much credence in anything they would have to say about firearms...

In most self-defense situations, that additional fraction of a second in deployment is rarely critical to successful outcomes. Most self-defense scenarios happen in a timeframe where the "potential victim" has several seconds to assess the situation and make the decision to draw. I will gladly accept an additional 3/4 second on my draw time for the huge amount of safety provided by Condition 3 carry.

An added note--My Para has NEVER gone off safety while carrying, whether CC or OC, in any of the four holsters I have--Serpa CQC, old-style Galco IWB with thumb strap, old Bianchi IWB SOB-style without retention, or Galco Paddle Lite with thumb strap...

old dog

imported post

I carry my Kimber compact in a Safariland Yaqui slide, unsnapped, and I have found it off-safe several times. Turns out shifting position in vehicle seat is the problem so I wind up frequently checking it. No solutions to offer, just joining the conversation.

VaLiberty

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
SO..... I bought another holster for it at the last gun show. It seemed OK at first but now it does the same thing. :-( Relocating the snap up 3/8 of an inch on any of these holsters would fix the problem.
I just took a look @ mine as I went to put it on my belt, and sure enough - it appears that the thumb break sits right on the safety on the right hand side. I can see where this could easily depress the safety when some pressure was applied to it. Especially when driving.

Mystery solved, time to find a new holster.

kennys

imported post

I carry a PT 1911 condition 1 all the time, never had an issue with my Fobus paddle holster except once when I knocked off the safety once with my arm. Than again I have a habit of checking it from time to time.

ODA 226

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The way I see it, if Condition 3 carry is good enough for the IDF and Mossad, it's good enough for me. Racking the slide on the draw, if you know how to do it (and practice it regularly), only adds about 3/4 second to your "holstered-to-BANG" time.

If anyone out there is cocky enough to badmouth the tactics and weapon skills of the IDF, then frankly, I wouldn't put much credence in anything they would have to say about firearms...

What do you do if you Carry condition 3 and are shot in the weak hand before you can rack the slide? (I already know the answer BTW ;))

If you're caught in this situation, it'll add a lot more than 3/4 of a second to your draw to bang time. I have a Croatian Police buddy that was shot in the weak hand before he could rack a round in the chamber and he'll tell you that he ALWAYS carries Condition 1 now.

Call me cocky, but carrying a weapon that isn't ready to fire isn't prudent.

kennys

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

What do you do if you Carry condition 3 and are shot in the weak hand before you can rack the slide? (I already know the answer BTW ;) )

If you're caught in this situation, it'll add a lot more than 3/4 of a second to your draw to bang time. I have a Croatian Police buddy that was shot in the weak hand before he could rack a round in the chamber and he'll tell you that he ALWAYS carries Condition 1 now.

That 3/4 second thing is also an announcement. If you are in your car and un sure of who just strolls over to your window with there hand in there pocket, it is much more sensible to not have to rack your slide giving that 3/4 advantage to the BG.

Not to mention if a shooting happened an isle over from you in a small close isle convenience store last thing you want is an announcement as to where you are and that you are armed.

Clean up on isle 4......and it wont be my blood.

leprechaun117

imported post

I carry condition 1 every day.

Never had a problem until I got my MTac. In the on position, the safety (extended, Springfield Loaded) sits barely on the edge of the leather. In the off position it sits next to the leather. If I move in a way to make the gun tip back, the egde of the holster can flip the safety down (back actually.)

I don't worry about it, the grip safety is still operational, and the trigger is completely covered. I do find myself checking it more frequently than I used to. The superior comfort of this holster makes me look past small problems (there's a couple.)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Not a 1911 carrier anymore, but I still carry a 45. I just carry more rounds cause I'm gettting old and may require more rounds to deal with the extra zombies that come out when they see a potential target like a feeble old man like me.

I carry an H&K USP 45 (12 rnd capacity) in Condition 2(round chambered, hammer down and safety off) in a Bianchi thumb-break retention holster. I don't like the DA trigger pull of the first round, but its a lot better than the Berettas that I used to carry when I was in the military...

fully_armed_biker

imported post

kennys wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

What do you do if you Carry condition 3 and are shot in the weak hand before you can rack the slide? (I already know the answer BTW ;) )

That 3/4 second thing is also an announcement. If you are in your car and un sure of who just strolls over to your window with there hand in there pocket, it is much more sensible to not have to rack your slide giving that 3/4 advantage to the BG.

Not to mention if a shooting happened an isle over from you in a small close isle convenience store last thing you want is an announcement as to where you are and that you are armed.

Clean up on isle 4......and it wont be my blood.
Racking the slide on any weapon is very distinct sound and a dead giveaway that someone is armed and GETTING READY to shoot...and makes you a target for the BG or possibly a lookout. The only time I want the BG to hear my slide rack is when I drop an emptymagazine, pop a full one in, and hit the slide release...I'd much rather use the 3/4 of a second to aim and make sure there's nothing beyond the BG that I need to be concerned about hitting.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I hate to reply to this again since Hank only started it to get a troll thread started...but.

In Va, where brandishing is illegal, we all train to avoid waving the gun around. From my standpoint, if I daraw it I'm going to shoot you but it has to be within justifiable distance. Taking the time to rack the slide is almost suicidal.

I was laughing at a little fellow at the last gunshow. He was selling some holster you stuff all the way down your pants and draw the holster and gun. He got mad when I told him I only OC'ed and started shouting about someone taking it away from me.

That's not very likely, especially from someone that has his hand down his pants:lol: (He didn't like that either).....but if I did have to draw, rack the slide and adjust my grip, he could darn sure grab my gun hand at typical defense distance.

Hopefully NOT with the hand he had down his pants:uhoh:

kennys

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I hate to reply to this again since Hank only started it to get a troll thread started...but.

In Va, where brandishing is illegal, we all train to avoid waving the gun around. From my standpoint, if I daraw it I'm going to shoot you but it has to be within justifiable distance. Taking the time to rack the slide is almost suicidal.

I was laughing at a little fellow at the last gunshow. He was selling some holster you stuff all the way down your pants and draw the holster and gun. He got mad when I told him I only OC'ed and started shouting about someone taking it away from me.

That's not very likely, especially from someone that has his hand down his pants:lol: (He didn't like that either).....but if I did have to draw, rack the slide and adjust my grip, he could darn sure grab my gun hand at typical defense distance.

Hopefully NOT with the hand he had down his pants:uhoh:
+1

eyesopened

imported post

Another guy who carries in Condition one. I used to carry my EMP in a CTAC holster and it would flick the safety off. Since I've switched to an MTAC I haven't had it happen. I couldn't care less how others are carrying, it's their life.