• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 carriers

JDriver1.8t

imported post

So here is my question/ statement:

So what if the manual safety comes off?

It is still holstered, correct? It still has the trigger covered, correct? It still has the grip safety,correct?It still isn't going to fire itself, correct?

fully_armed_biker

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:

It is still holstered, correct? It still has the trigger covered, correct? It still has the grip safety,correct?It still isn't going to fire itself, correct?

My point exactly! I've never heard of a case of a 1911 going off, all by itslef in a propper holster while being carried...at least not that I can recall. It has sufficient safety devices builtinto the design of the 1911 that make it nearly impossible to go bang; unless you intend to make it go bang, not withstanding shoddy gunsmithing.

I've played guitar for over 30 years and Les Paul was amaster of guitar design. I put my faith and trust in him. John Moses Browning was amaster of firearms design. I put my faith and trust in him.

simmonsjoe

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:

I wanted to make fun of you because you drive a VW, and actually incorporate it into your name! Too bad you make sense. Say something stupid next time.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I was laughing at a little fellow at the last gunshow. He was selling some holster you stuff all the way down your pants and draw the holster and gun.
http://www.thunderwearholsters.com/ ?
Naw.. the holster WITH the gun is the pager pal.. Thinderwear, the holster stays put.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Tommy Lee says....

210827.jpg

"Lose that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock" ! :)

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Tommy Lee says....

210827.jpg

He was lucky his gun didn't blow up. :p

j/k ;)

NoVA York

imported post

C3 when at home
C1 when out and about

SD carry = Glock. Don't like messing with the safety in a SD situation. Point 'n Shoot is much easier when under high stress.

1911 carry when hunting or at the range. My wife is looking at getting an EMP for SD carry. She appreciates all of the safeties and not a big fan of external safety-less DAOs.

C3 at home because the "click-clack" makes BGs think twice. The "breaking" part of B&E ruins the element of surprise on the BG's part, giving me the time and tactical advantage.

NoVA York

imported post

ed wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Tommy Lee says....
]

"Lose that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock" !   :)

j/k ;)
or melt
:lol: That's horrible. I love my disposable pistol. It doesn't get treated as nicely as others that my wife and I have, but it's great for SD carry.

nova

imported post

NoVA York wrote:
ed wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Tommy Lee says....
]

j/k ;)
or melt
:lol: That's horrible. I love my disposable pistol. It doesn't get treated as nicely as others that my wife and I have, but it's great for SD carry.
I'll admit that the melonite treated metal parts and polymer frame of the XD is nice for foul weather OC. Plus it looks tacticool...says tactical right on the side! :lol:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Tommy Lee says....

210827.jpg

"Lose that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock" !   :)

j/k ;)

Aaaahaha!

Too bad that's exactly what I thought the last time I watched that movie.

I think I bash Glocks too much. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

1911 condition 1 always - the way the Rt. Rev. John Moses Browning intended.

Very, very unusual to find the safety off - can't remember the last time - except when I snap it off myself as a preparatory movement when serious potential trouble is sensed, but drawing is not indicated. Its a condition orange thing. I can do it with left hand behind my elbow - never seen.

All of mine are considered drop proof - that and I really don't mind the safety being off. My 1911s have a lot more safeties than my double action revolvers.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Didn't a Glock out perform your 1911 at the Culpepper shoot?
Definitely did not. :D

Inanimate tool subject to input/output reactions as induced by the operator.

Did the Glock's master do a better job in this instance? I'd say so, but I think had you swapped guns, the 1911 would probably have prevailed. :D

PS - Would you stay home next time and let someone else win?

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Didn't a Glock out perform your 1911 at the Culpepper shoot?
Definitely did not. :D

Did the Glock's master do a better job in this instance? I'd say so, but I think had you swapped guns, the 1911 would probably have prevailed. :D

PS - Would you stay home next time and let someone else win?

Yata hey
...And THAT's it in a nutshell! Go out and play with the big dogs or stay on the porch!!!

Marco

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
It appeared that all the FTF during that shoot came from those using 1911's, whether it was the shooter or his/her tool of choose is unknown to me.

If iirc, the top four shooters carried something other than a 1911.
Glock 20
Glock 23(?)
H&K USP45
Kahr P40(?)

Maybe these shooter took the money they saved on there firearm and invested it in ammo/practice.;)
With that being said I own more 1911's than any other firearm design.

[line]
Back to topic:
I've never noticed my manual safety clicking off on my 1911's and if it hadI wouldn't worry about it.
As long as your firearm is of good quality, operating properly and you keep the booger hookers off the bang switch there isn't anything to worry about.

architect

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I've never noticed my manual safety clicking off on my 1911's and if it hadI wouldn't worry about it.
As long as your firearm is of good quality, operating properly and you keep the booger hookers off the bang switch there isn't anything to worry about.
+1. If you're worried about your 1911 being off safety in your holster you, 1) are using the wrong holster, and 2) need to build confidence in your "trigger finger management[sup]TM[/sup]."

In fact, I have found the safety off on my EMP several times in several holsters including the one that came with it that has no retention device that occludes the safety. The first time I realized it had happened, I was worried. Then I thought about it. Grip safety+trigger covered by holster+you're going to disengage the safety anyway before putting your finger anywhere near the trigger, and I stopped worrying about it.

Do not touch the trigger until you are on target and have decided to shoot.