• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Caliber for me and her?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
Ok I've got my heart set on a Smith and Wesson M&P and when I get it I really want to introduce my girlfriend to pistol shooting. What caliber would have adequate stopping power for me to carry but manageable enough for her to shoot as well? I've really been leaning to .40 because I want a little extra oomph over the 9mm. I'm afraid even a .40 might be too much for her because she's pretty small (5'3" 105lbs) so I guess my question is : Could she handle a .40 S&W or would a heavier .45 ACP be a better choice? If you really think the 9mm is the way to go then my buddy has a beautiful M92 I could borrow I suppose... What are your thoughts?

9mm would probably work for you and your gf.

Are you getting the full size M&P or the compact? Is this your first gun?

PDinDetroit

imported post

I have a M&P 9 in 4 1/4" and have a M&P 45 in 4 1/2". My daughter (5'4") shoots the 9 well, but not the 45 as even the small grip swell is too big for her hands. Firing the 9 is like nothing at all - very smooth, the 45 is more of a push. I did not like the muzzle flip of the 40.