Thread: Yes, LEOs DO know if you have a CPL

Post imported post

I remember some discussion on this a little while back so I thought I'd share my wife's experience this morning. She was pulled over this morning on the way to the local park-n-protest, er, -ride, by the ICSO. The officer came up to her window laughing hysterically she tells me. Apparently he really liked the "OBAMA SUCKS (and so do liberal cowards who steal my stickers) " sticker now spray-painted to her bumper. Now in the course of the the usual "papers, please" routine he asked my wife if she had her weapon today. She didn't, and that was the end of it, but it confirms that having a CPL DOES come up when LEOs run your DL. There's nothing on the rig that would infer gun ownership, not even an NRA sticker.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

Yes, a couple of years ago my GPS was stolen from my car, right in my driveway at 4am. Ran out with weapon in hand but BG got away. Called the cops....they were just minutes away....

Anyways, they came to take my statement and what not. In the process I gave them my ID. Two officers, veteran and a rookie. They ran my ID and when they got a response in thier earpieces. The rookies eyes lit up and looked for my gun. Neatly packed in a holster at the small of my back at the time. My wife kinda chuckled too when we realized why his eyes lit up.

Thought it was amusing....never did get the BG or my GPS. Even though I gave them serial number and descriptions.
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

When I got popped for speeding a few months ago I asked the State trooper an=bout this issue. I was told if they run your driver license they know if you have a CPL. However just running your plates shows nothing.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    However just running your plates shows nothing.
    On the contrary. When an LEO runs your license plate, dispatch can sometimes run a driver's check on the RO of the vehicle if a driver's check is available. They aren't always available, though.

Post imported post

I was recently on a police ride-along (Kirkland PD) and I watched and heard over and over again as the officer ran plates while we were driving around and the in-car computer system spoke the words "concealed weapons permit" in response.

There really is no doubt or ambiguity here... when they run a plate, either the plate or the DL of the registered owner the plate is tied to has the CPL info associated with it.

OF course, the CPL info they get cannot possibly indicate whether a person is actually carrying, or even if the registered owner is driving the car.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

From my license plate Whatcom Sherrif ran name and had every gun I every applied for on their computer in the car.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    From my license plate Whatcom Sherrif ran name and had every gun I every applied for on their computer in the car.
    "Applied for"? What do you mean by that?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    Ever applied for sorry for the typo, at gun shops when you fill out the paper work, even ones that were back ordered and I decided not to get, by the time they came in.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    This is no doubt a reference to the form that is sent to local law enforcement when one purchases a handgun from a Dealer.

WA law requires that anyone licensing (or renewing registration) a vehicle provide the Driver's license number of all registered owners. This allows that vehicle license, Driver's license, and gun purchases (where Driver's License number is provided) be tied together.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"