• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yes, LEOs DO know if you have a CPL

Metalhead47

imported post

I remember some discussion on this a little while back so I thought I'd share my wife's experience this morning. She was pulled over this morning on the way to the local park-n-protest, er, -ride, by the ICSO. The officer came up to her window laughing hysterically she tells me. Apparently he really liked the "OBAMA SUCKS (and so do liberal cowards who steal my stickers) " sticker now spray-painted to her bumper. Now in the course of the the usual "papers, please" routine he asked my wife if she had her weapon today. She didn't, and that was the end of it, but it confirms that having a CPL DOES come up when LEOs run your DL. There's nothing on the rig that would infer gun ownership, not even an NRA sticker.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, a couple of years ago my GPS was stolen from my car, right in my driveway at 4am. Ran out with weapon in hand but BG got away. Called the cops....they were just minutes away....

Anyways, they came to take my statement and what not. In the process I gave them my ID. Two officers, veteran and a rookie. They ran my ID and when they got a response in thier earpieces. The rookies eyes lit up and looked for my gun. Neatly packed in a holster at the small of my back at the time. My wife kinda chuckled too when we realized why his eyes lit up.

Thought it was amusing....never did get the BG or my GPS. Even though I gave them serial number and descriptions.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

When I got popped for speeding a few months ago I asked the State trooper an=bout this issue. I was told if they run your driver license they know if you have a CPL. However just running your plates shows nothing.

K_Bjornstad

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
However just running your plates shows nothing.
On the contrary. When an LEO runs your license plate, dispatch can sometimes run a driver's check on the RO of the vehicle if a driver's check is available. They aren't always available, though.

tai4de2

imported post

I was recently on a police ride-along (Kirkland PD) and I watched and heard over and over again as the officer ran plates while we were driving around and the in-car computer system spoke the words "concealed weapons permit" in response.

There really is no doubt or ambiguity here... when they run a plate, either the plate or the DL of the registered owner the plate is tied to has the CPL info associated with it.

OF course, the CPL info they get cannot possibly indicate whether a person is actually carrying, or even if the registered owner is driving the car.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
From my license plate Whatcom Sherrif ran name and had every gun I every applied for on their computer in the car.
"Applied for"? What do you mean by that?
Ever applied for sorry for the typo, at gun shops when you fill out the paper work, even ones that were back ordered and I decided not to get, by the time they came in.

amlevin

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
From my license plate Whatcom Sherrif ran name and had every gun I every applied for on their computer in the car.
"Applied for"? What do you mean by that?

This is no doubt a reference to the form that is sent to local law enforcement when one purchases a handgun from a Dealer.

WA law requires that anyone licensing (or renewing registration) a vehicle provide the Driver's license number of all registered owners. This allows that vehicle license, Driver's license, and gun purchases (where Driver's License number is provided) be tied together.