• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed scarecrow catches robber in VB

MSC 45ACP

imported post

bohdi wrote:
ODA - roger that man. I'm interested to see if he gets praised or slammed by his command for this.....I can see it now. The guy gets a minor cut or tweaks his ankle and they decide to hit him with damage to government property etc and make an example out of him....

OT: I remember my boss threatening to put me on report for a severe sunburn once. "Damaging government property" is no joke if they want to pin that on you...

Edit: A debilitating hangover on a Monday morning also counts...

bohdi

imported post

I almost got nailed for that with a 2nd degree sunburn too. I ended up going to the emergency room, getting 2 liters of IV, and some really painful out patient treatment for the next five days when I first got to the PI.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bohdi wrote:
ODA - roger that man. I'm interested to see if he gets praised or slammed by his command for this.....I can see it now. The guy gets a minor cut or tweaks his ankle and they decide to hit him with damage to government property etc and make an example out of him....
Then there is the question, potential problem, of does he live on base housing with a weapon.

Understand both sides of the issue - hard to say what you might have done unless you were actually there.

Yata hey

RipCurl

imported post

Unfortunately, legally,this guy was in the wrong. I'm not trying to condemn him, just warning others.

You should never chase a victim. If you are involved in any part of the escalation, that includes chasing, you forfeit your right to self defense; unless, you retreat as far as you can. Then it gets grey according to court case I have read.

However, you do have the right to protect property as well as person. Checkout VA code 18.2-280. Just not when the person is running away.

Hendu024

imported post

RipCurl wrote:
Unfortunately, legally,this guy was in the wrong. I'm not trying to condemn him, just warning others.

You should never chase a victim. If you are involved in any part of the escalation, that includes chasing, you forfeit your right to self defense; unless, you retreat as far as you can. Then it gets grey according to court case I have read.

However, you do have the right to protect property as well as person. Checkout VA code 18.2-280. Just not when the person is running away.
Who's the victim here? It sure isn't the guy who stole the purse.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

RipCurl wrote:

Welcome to the forum RipCurl.

What ends right is difficult to call wrong. Understand your point though.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

RipCurl wrote:

It sounds like you are implying that I'm not allowed to attempt tp recover my property from the thief who took it and is running away. I've never seen any laws that make it illegal to attempt to recover property from a thief whether I do it alone or obtain assistance from others.

alnitak

imported post

Didn't the scarecrow need a brain from the Wizard? Sounds like he's still looking for one (must have gotten the lion's courage instead).

Repeat after me, "I am not the police. My weapon is for the defense of life only....I am not the police. My weapon is for ...".