• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with Utah gun law

DRZRIDER

imported post

Using the Plea in Abeyance tool in my case, I have completed all required stipulations and probations and the case has been dismissed. Can I expect to get my firearms back from the city or have I still been dealt a punishment of never owning a firearm again?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DRZRIDER wrote:
Using the Plea in Abeyance tool in my case, I have completed all required stipulations and probations and the case has been dismissed. Can I expect to get my firearms back from the city or have I still been dealt a punishment of never owning a firearm again?
What were you charged with?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DRZRIDER wrote:
Sorry it is in the topic heading, domestic violance. Please don't judge, it's not hard to get this charge.
No judgment, how long ago was the charge? Really the best way to find out if you can get your guns back is to have your lawyer ask for them back. Or go ask for them yourself if you don't have a lawyer.

DRZRIDER

imported post

It all started 17 months ago, but I just received notice of dismissal this week. Didn't use a lawyer and was searching the net to try and find answers when I came across this site. From all I can figure I'm sunk
sad.gif

cheese

imported post

a charge is not a conviction. you should get them but it may take a while.

PrimeTime28

imported post

Hey all. I'm a new member to the site. Been CWP holder for about 3.5 years. DRZRIDER, You can get your Firearms back. You need to just contact the Department that has your firearms and they will conduct a background to make sure you are eligible and they will release them.

DRZRIDER

imported post

Merry Christmas to me! By playing by all the rules, I was rewarded with all my firearms being returned to me. I've never had a freedom taken from me till this incident. I have never felt so unprotected in all my life. I will never take it for granted again!

But now i'm wondering if this will keep me from getting a concealed carry permit. Anyone know what the law says about that?

PrimeTime28

imported post

With everything dimissedYou can now apply for an expungment through BCI. If your case wasdismissed you won't have to pay for your expungements which are around $150.00 per charge normally. Its 10.00 to apply from BCI. If Multiple cases or charges get as many expunged as you can and you will most likely be able to get a concealed permit. Once youapply it takes from 8-12 wks for them to do their investigation to see if you qualify but its only time. As far as i know only conviction can keep you from owning or carrying afirearm.This is based on process to get a permit reinstated from dismissed charges. Could be different but give it a shot.

Bennelli

imported post

If you are applying for a CFP and you have a dismissal you must wait at least 30 days to apply for a CFP. I do not have the code in front of me to quote it, look it up to get the details.

redreed

imported post

On the bottom right of this BCI web page, under "Quick Links" is a link thatgives you instructions on how to expunge records in Utah, as well as many other firearms related questions.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/index.html

Feel free to call them. I have never talked to anyone at BCI that wasn't a pretty nice person.

Good luck!