• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not even our soldiers are safe at home!

Chrisc411

imported post

FORT HOOD, Texas – A soldier opened fire at a U.S. Army base in Fort Hood, Texas on Thursday, unleashing a stream of gunfire that left 12 people dead and 31 wounded. Authorities killed the gunman, and apprehended two other soldiers suspected in what appears to be the worst mass shooting at a U.S. military base.
The shooting began around 1:30 p.m., Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said at a news conference. He said all the casualties took place at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening.
"It's a terrible tragedy. It's stunning," Cone said.
A law enforcement official identified the shooting suspect as Army Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan. The official said Hasan, believed to be in his late 30s, was killed after opening fire at the base. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.
The official says investigators are trying to determine if Hasan was his birth name, or if he changed his name and converted to Islam at some point in his life.
Cone said the soldier used two handguns in the attack. It was not clear if the gunman had stopped to reload.
A graduation ceremony for soldiers who finished college courses while deployed was going on in an auditorium at the Readiness Center at the time of the shooting, said Sgt. Rebekah Lampam, a Fort Hood spokeswoman.
Greg Schanepp, U.S. Rep. John Carter's regional director in Texas, was representing Carter at the graduation, said John Stone, a spokesman for Carter, whose district includes the Army post.
Schanepp was at the ceremony when a soldier who had been shot in the back came running toward him and alerted him of the shooting, Stone said. The soldier told Schanepp not to go in the direction of the shooter, he said. Stone said he believes Schanepp was in the theater.
The base was locked down after the shootings. The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas, Cone said.
The shootings on the Texas military base stirred memories of other recent mass shootings in the United States, including 13 dead at a New York immigrant center in March, 10 killed during a gunman's rampage across Alabama in March and 32 killed in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history at Virginia Tech in 2007.
Around the country, some bases stepped up security precautions, but no others were locked down.
"The bottom line for us is that we are increasing security at our gates because the threat hasn't yet been defined, and we're reminding our Marines to be vigilant in their areas of responsibility," said Capt. Rob Dolan, public affairs officer for the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Ariz.
In Washington, President Barack Obama called the shooting "a horrific outburst of violence." He said it's a tragedy to lose a soldier overseas and even more horrifying when they come under fire at an Army base on American soil.
"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," the commander in chief said. "We are going to stay on this."
Covering 339 square miles, Fort Hood is the largest active duty armored post in the United States. Home to about 52,000 troops as of earlier this year, the sprawling base is located halfway between Austin and Waco.
About a mile from Fort Hood's east gate, Cynthia Thomas, director of Under the Hood Cafe, a local coffee shop and nonprofit military support center, has been calling soldiers and friends on the post to make sure they're OK.
"It's chaotic," Thomas said, as a SWAT team just drove by. "They're just saying that they're under attack they don't know what's going on. ... The phones are jammed. Everybody is calling family members and friends. Soldiers are running around with M-16s."
Fort Hood officially opened on Sept. 18, 1942, and was named in honor of Gen. John Bell Hood. It has been continuously used for armored training and is charged with maintaining readiness for combat missions.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

The investigation into this one...
Oy blagoy.

I don't think its fair to comment until we have all the facts.

Chrisc411

imported post

yea this is what the news is reporting so far but all my military friends had a shit fit when they hear what happen.

yelohamr

imported post

A Muslim crybaby that didn't want to be deployed. I wonder if he got his 72 virgins.

OOPS! No virgin winner yet. The crybaby is in stable condition. Saw it on TV so it must be true.

cato

imported post

99.99% of state side military personal are unarmed on there own bases (except for guards and MPs). Go off base and most can be armed per state law. Joining the military should not require you to surrender your right to self defense.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cato wrote:
99.99% of state side military personal are unarmed on there own bases (except for guards and MPs).
My dad explained that for every actual soldier there are about 12 admin/brass on base; none of which typically carry firearms at all during their career (except for range days). Actual soldiers are disarmed on base because the government can't trust those rowdy, violent grunts with weapons unless there are enemies to point them at.

After hearing his take on it, I'm no longer surprised there was little resistance to the mayhem.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

just watched anderson cooper. Looks like a 7/11 store owner spoke to the shooter a lot, and the shooter explained he did not want to be deployed to shoot other muslims.

So he shoots Americans instead?!!!?!?

How is this not a jihad, terrorist attack?? I think this will be classified as such soon.

edit: he even screamed "allah is great" before the attack... I'm sort of upset seeing news media portray this as a troubled man with guns instead of a a radical muslim terrorist.. that created terror.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

You can't have it both ways you know.
Which is to say, I'm glad to see that the media didn't immediately jump on the "he's a brown terrorist" bandwagon.

Its not hard to find fault with the media and how they portray each story with their various biases.

I think its a good thing that some, not all, of the major news outlets have shown a little restraint in conclusion jumping.

I'm shocked to hear he is alive and stable, I can't imagine whats going on in his head right now.
I wonder what the TX LEO uses for sidearms.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
You can't have it both ways you know.
Which is to say, I'm glad to see that the media didn't immediately jump on the "he's a brown terrorist" bandwagon.

Its not hard to find fault with the media and how they portray each story with their various biases.

I think its a good thing that some, not all, of the major news outlets have shown a little restraint in conclusion jumping.

I'm shocked to hear he is alive and stable, I can't imagine whats going on in his head right now.
I wonder what the TX LEO uses for sidearms.

I don't want it both ways. I want it how it is. He wasn't a troubled man with a gun... basically saying guns are bad because there are millions of "troubled" people out there. I want them to tell it how it is.. an islamic radical who declared a jihad against Americans in a secret attack.

Edit: by the way, if I was murdered by the guy, I would wantthe American Public to own up to the facts that I died because he was an islamic radical that killed me in defense of other muslims as a jihad attack. I don't want to be known to have died by some 'troubled man we shouldpitywith a gun that was 'afraid of the horrors of war'- which the new york times proclaimed which is NOT the facts, the fact is he would not kill other muslims and he instead wanted to defend muslims honor by declaring a jihad against americans. You don't join the military thinking you won't get deployed. This was a planned out attack, maybe even planned for years.

THINK ABOUT IT... if you were so called "afraid of the horrors of war" as the new york times put it, would you take 2 guns and go on a mass killing spree? Wern't you afraid of things like that?? The real reaosn is he obviously would not kill other muslims, he wanted to kill americans. Stupid media.. stop with the 'the horrors of war' B.S. like we should all pity this muslim guy and understand with him. Please someone tell me they agree with me??? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.. in the words of Mugattu.

Also don't take this as some hate speech torward muslims. The majority of muslims in America are for peace and the word Jihad to them means nothing of violence, only radicals (terrorists)takes the praise of allah- jihad and turns it into the death of americans.

Since 2001, the U.S. administration has been able to say with confidence that there hasn't been a terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11. What are they going to say now? You knowthe talibanare shouting praise allah right now laughing at us Americans and burning flags. I think Fox News won't initiate this notion until another news media does first because of it's quarrels with the white house right now.

This guy better get the death penalty,luckily the governer won't be able to be persuaded by Obama or anyone else to pardon him from the death penalty, because he can't do that.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

changeoz.jpg

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I think it it is way too early for that, my friend.
People are still reeling in grief where I am and even the most staunch politicos are at least pretending to not cheapen this into political fodder.please don't see this as an attack on your post or anything. Its just pretty sore right now.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I hate how the media ignores the obvious and tries to call it everything but what it is. It's obvious that if the shooter did not want to go to war that he had other options (i.e., AWOL). The reported comments he has made makes it obvious that he was motivated to kill Americans to prevent them from killing those he sympathized with. He is known by his actions: a domestic turncoat being motivated by Islamic extremism.

Part of the problem with our media and government is that they do not believe the truth is good for America. So, the truth is withheld from us. In many ways, this too is acrime against the citizenry.

And not to take anything away from the LEO that took aggressive action, but I wonder how far this shooter would have gotten if every soldier was wearing a sidearm. I don't think he would have killed as many; at least, not in the way he went about it. And how much better would the families felt knowing theirshot uploved one had the ability to defend themselves.

Disarmed and made helpless by the government they supported. It's a shame.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
I think it it is way too early for that, my friend.
People are still reeling in grief where I am and even the most staunch politicos are at least pretending to not cheapen this into political fodder.please don't see this as an attack on your post or anything. Its just pretty sore right now.
I can see where your coming from, but this was not the same for 9/11. President Bush INSTANTLY made an address to the nation that we will not stand for terror in the homeland.

The main reason I disagree with you is that I highly doubt the media or obama will admit this is a terrorist attack... ever

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I don't know if its up to CIC to decide the nature of violence on our soil. Granted, 9/11 got insta-branded terrorism, which of course it was.
As the news develops, its looking more and more like extremism motivated by a desire to damage our national psyche and defenses, i.e terrorism.

Obama is in a difficult position, and in spite of it I doubt he is sweating very much. I think I have to agree with you, that in the eyes of our current president, there has still been no terrorist attack on our soil since his election.

This kind of denial is the same elephant with a different shirt on, and I maintain my applauding of the media for letting the story and facts develop before throwing a huge slant on it (although, now it is slant-time).
I have been looking at it from 100 different perspectives, and maybe I'm just a product of my times and instantly biased towards seeing this as an act of terrorism, but I can't imagine how a stable man could act this way. I suppose one could counter that with, "but terrorists aren't stable minded", but thats another argument.

Boo.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This is why I don't watch/read any news media. I usually don't hear about stuff like this until a month later.

I find I sleep better at night, and get a cleaner version of the story as the details are ironed out.

IMO, we should all unplug a bit more.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Great article on how our soldiers should be allowed to carry on their own military base for protection...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/11/10/john-lott-ft-hood-end-gun-free-zone/

Great line from the article...

Research shows that allowing individuals to defend themselves dramatically reduces the rates of multiple victim public shootings. Even if attacks still occur, having civilians with permitted concealed handguns limits the damage. A major factor in determining how many people are harmed by these killers is the amount of time that elapses between when the attack starts and someone is able to arrive on the scene with a gun. Ten minutes must have seemed like an eternity to those trapped in the attack at Ft. Hood. All the multiple victim public shootings in the U.S. -- in which more than three people have been killed -- have all occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned.