• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transfer of Rifle

OC-Aviator

imported post

My wife's grand father wants to give me an M-1 Carbinethat he has had foreveras a gift.

The only issue we want to get past is that he is in MD and I am in WA.

I am not familliar with MD laws, so does he have to transfer the rifle to me, or is there rifle registration at all in MD.

We can handle the shipping aspect.

So if you know the answer spell it out. I have to explain this to a 75 year old man so he knows exactly what he has to do. Please quote state law and post a link if you could to back up what you are saying.

Any help would be appreciated.

eddyys

imported post

It is unlawful for any person to sell or transfer a regulated firearm to a person whom he knows or has reasonable cause to believe:
• Is under 21;
• Has been convicted of a disqualifying crime;

As for private transfers that is all I can find. I would wait for further responses.

echo6tango

imported post

If you wanted an easy answer, you would have to ask this question about a state other than Maryland, so...here goes.

I don't see theM-1 Carbine specifically listed on the Maryland "regulated" firearms list found inArticle - Public Safety §5–101 as listed under section (p) “Regulated firearm” halfway down the page at: http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gps&5-101.
However, everything that I have found for Maryland that deals with firearm transfers between in-state individuals or individualsbetween different states specifies "regulated" firearm.

To make it even more confusing, Article - Public Safety §5–204 (http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gps&5-204) speaks to the purchase of rifles or shotguns by out of state residents...however, only specifies four states?
(a) In this section, “adjacent state” means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.
(b) If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.
(c) If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State. - and this is talking about a "purchase" and not a "gift"

Check out this website:
http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm
From the website:
Q: May a person that lives in another state sell a regulated firearm to a resident of this state?
A: Yes, however, the purchaser must make arrangements to have the firearm shipped to a Regulated Firearms Dealer in this state.

INAL, but I would say that if you can sell or transfer a Maryland "regulated" firearm between residents of different states, that selling or transfering a "non-regulated" firearm between states would not be difficult. You can always try and give a call to the contact below and ask for specific guidance. Every time I've talked to those folks, they've been very professional and helpful, so I hope you have the same experience if you call. Again, INAL, but I would wager that the MD State Police would tell you to transfer it between FFLs in either state at most or just throw it in a box and ship it at the least...depends on who you get on the phone.

From the website:
Further questions can be directed to:
Maryland State Police, Regulated Firearms Registration Section
1111 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, Maryland 21208.

The business hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
You may call 1-410-653-4500 or 1-800-525-5555.

Semper Fidelis

garyad

imported post

Jeez, just pack it up and FedEx it. Don't forget the insurance.

like_the_roman

imported post

gador wrote:
Jeez, just pack it up and FedEx it. Don't forget the insurance.
And some soap-on-a-rope, because you'll be going to federal prison if the ATF finds out.

NavyLT's post has it covered. It is a pain in the rear to go through the FFLs, but it's the only legal way to get the gun across the country. (Unless you're willing to outright inherit the firearm, in which case FFLs usually aren't involved. I hope that doesn't happen to the old guy anytime soon, though.)