• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting and FT HOOD TX

DEROS72

imported post

I was watching Fox and MSNBC and both keep bringing up the high capacity handguns used.They need to NOT report that as that just fuels anti gunners evertime something like this happens.Bet a months pension it will be less than 24hrs and someone will be talking gun bans because of this.

antispam540

imported post

It's obvious that the military should not be allowed to own firearms, since once in a very long while one of them will use a firearm to commit violence...

n16ht5

imported post

Ieveryone on base should be armed.. that would have stopped this. Thanks, leadership for letting our own get murdered.

Rest In Peace.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Another madman in a gun free zone
Of course. He was a psychiatrist. The profession has a high incidence of nasty little traits like suicide,sexcrimes againstpatients, fraud.

antispam540

imported post

killchain wrote:
How about instead of making wisecracks about gun laws, we respect the fact that 12 US soldiers died today needlessly?
I don't think they're wisecracks. I don't want to respect the fact that 12 soldiers died, I feel horror that it could have been prevented and sorrow and empathy for the families of those involved. I don't see anything about this situation to respect - it's shameful, tragic, and pointless.

Our "wisecracks" are the alternative to outright cursing those who kept the victims from being able to defend themselves.

rocknsnow

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
It's obvious that the military should not be allowed to own firearms, since once in a very long while one of them will use a firearm to commit violence...
I truly hope you are kidding with that comment. I am a US Army Officer. And if you read the article that was linked on this thread you realize that the solider who went on this rampage had issues. In most cases of shootings the person committing the crime had issues. My prayers go out to the members of those involved in this. It is a shame that the Army doesn't allow "us" the solider to carry while on Post. This incident might have ended a lot sooner.

FMCDH

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
antispam540 wrote:
I truly hope you are kidding with that comment. I am a US Army Officer. And if you read the article that was linked on this thread you realize that the solider who went on this rampage had issues. In most cases of shootings the person committing the crime had issues. My prayers go out to the members of those involved in this. It is a shame that the Army doesn't allow "us" the solider to carry while on Post. This incident might have ended a lot sooner.
I believe his statment was intended to be taken as sarcastic irony brother.

That said, I agree with you completely. There is no excuse what so ever for this situation to have happened the way it did. Military bases of all places should not be "victim rich environments", and this guy could have been put down seconds after it started if even 25 percent of soldiers were carrying sidearms.

Oath-taking and trained men and woman should not be disarmed on their own base, and the majority of responsibility for this incident falls squarely on the military policy makers shoulders. IMHO

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

He's being sarcastic here. Many of us on this forum are Veterans or Active Duty Military. We grieve for the loss of our brothers and sisters just like you do. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

Nitrox314

imported post

Naval bases are even worse. The Navy personnel are not allowed to carry pocketknives and/or multitools with knives on them. In the USMC it was expected that every Marine have a knife of somesort. Very handy.

On another note, I can see where this is going to go. You see, you cannot carry on bases, but you can own. If you are single, your weapon has to be stored in an armory (Which is a pain because that means you have to wait on their personnel to even show up to let you have it). If you are married and in Base Housing you are allowed to keep it in the house. I don't know if this goes for all services though. Now, they are probably going to take away the right to have a gun in your home on base. Any military member here can probably testify that Base housing can be a terror at times. When we went to war, some military wives were raped outside their own base house. My wife kept getting disturbing phone calls and had an attempted break in. I bought my Walther P99 the first week I returned from Iraq. Luckily never had to use it for defense yet.

shot_on_target

imported post

This incident could have been prevented. The guy was known to frequent Muslim extremist web sites, and has been on a watch list for years. As a 11 year army infantry, and Iraq war veteran, I think this guys chain of command should be brought up on charges for dereliction of duty. This tragedy was 100% preventable.

oldkim

imported post

Hindsight is great to have.... (wish I had it for the lotto numbers).

Something should have been done.

I do agree but obviously it wasn't. I'm sure the "touchy feely" folks didn't want to offend anyone in his chain of command. As the investigation is underway I'm positive some "heads" will roll.

There is certainly going to be more "routine" safety checks when you drive threw the gates now and more than likely personally owned firearms for those on active duty will be scrutinized just a bit more.

The military is a mirror of the greatness of this country and sadly... enough said.

DEROS72

imported post

I also agree with the statement that extremism played a part.Be that as it may no one had the means to defend themselves.These folks were also a victim of gun control.Now they are reporting another shooting in an office in Florida .The anti gun people are going to jump all over this .We are really going to have to take very dramatic stand so to speak to protect our right to protect ourselves.