• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today, I was "THAT GUY"

Commodore76

imported post

I was on a really proud streak of not ever having as issue in my home county with OC. Today was not my day. I open carry a heck of a lot around here.

Today, as I was standing at the counter of a bank (Not mine as I was making a deposit for a friend) the bank manager approached me and asked if I was a police officer. I responded with a simple no. She paused for what seemed like an eternity. When she finally spoke, it was to tell me that "they don't allow handguns inside". I told her that I had no idea and they may want to consider posting signs at the entrances to alert visitors. She just kept staring. Wow.

Anyway, she walked away, the transaction was completed, I leftmaking sure tosmile andwave. (Yes, with all my fingers.)

Just a few moments later, I sent a text to a friend who works at the same bank about the possibility of informing managers about the legality of OC in Washington. The text I got back was "evidently it was escalated to corporate security & ___ (Regional Manager's name) was involved......great." Next text from friend: "u just scared the shlt out of them. lucky they didnt call the police & make a bigger scene." The Regional Manager went on to share with employees that I exercised poor judgement. In this day, normal people do not carry weapons.

Honestly, I do not regret today. I regret a narrow minded atmosphere that led to the incident, but how is that my fault and what did I do that I should feel bad for doing what God has given me a right to do? (Rhetorical question, folks. Still how I felt all day)

To their credit, part of my message was heard. My VP friend informed me that they are making up anti gun signs. If you see them popping up at a local bank branch, you know who to thank. Yep, I was that guy today.

On a plus side, I asked MY bank if there was a policy that prohibited the carry of weapons, they said heck no. I told them the story I just shared with you. The folks at my bank got a real good laugh and told me I should be loyal to my bank and not walk into any others.

I bank with WAMU (Chase)

I guess everyone has to have that one negative experience. Today was hopefully the end of mine. (As long as I stay out of Puyallup, right Jarhead?)

Tawnos

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
I was on a really proud streak of not ever having as issue in my home county with OC. Today was not my day. I open carry a heck of a lot around here.

Today, as I was standing at the counter of a bank (Not mine as I was making a deposit for a friend) the bank manager approached me and asked if I was a police officer. I responded with a simple no. She paused for what seemed like an eternity. When she finally spoke, it was to tell me that "they don't allow handguns inside". I told her that I had no idea and they may want to consider posting signs at the entrances to alert visitors. She just kept staring. Wow.

Anyway, she walked away, the transaction was completed, I leftmaking sure tosmile andwave. (Yes, with all my fingers.)

Just a few moments later, I sent a text to a friend who works at the same bank about the possibility of informing managers about the legality of OC in Washington. The text I got back was "evidently it was escalated to corporate security & ___ (Regional Manager's name) was involved......great." Next text from friend: "u just scared the shlt out of them. lucky they didnt call the police & make a bigger scene." The Regional Manager went on to share with employees that I exercised poor judgement. In this day, normal people do not carry weapons.

Honestly, I do not regret today. I regret a narrow minded atmosphere that led to the incident, but how is that my fault and what did I do that I should feel bad for doing what God has given me a right to do? (Rhetorical question, folks. Still how I felt all day)

To their credit, part of my message was heard. My VP friend informed me that they are making up anti gun signs. If you see them popping up at a local bank branch, you know who to thank. Yep, I was that guy today.

On a plus side, I asked MY bank if there was a policy that prohibited the carry of weapons, they said heck no. I told them the story I just shared with you. The folks at my bank got a real good laugh and told me I should be loyal to my bank and not walk into any others.

I bank with WAMU (Chase)

I guess everyone has to have that one negative experience. Today was hopefully the end of mine. (As long as I stay out of Puyallup, right Jarhead?)
Which bank was saying they're doing that?

DEROS72

imported post

My daughter is a Chase branchmanager and I assure you you wouldn't have that issue at her branch.I also bank with US and never had an issue.In fact a few days ago I went to my bank and the manager came runing of his office to tell e he say us on TV.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Commodore76 wrote:

Today, as I was standing at the counter of a bank (Not mine as I was making a deposit for a friend) the bank manager approached me and asked if I was a police officer. I responded with a simple no. She paused for what seemed like an eternity. When she finally spoke, it was to tell me that "they don't allow handguns inside". I told her that I had no idea and they may want to consider posting signs at the entrances to alert visitors.
Huh? You are asking them to post? Why? if you ask them, they will come. Never bring up posting.

Commodore76

imported post

Mike wrote:
Commodore76 wrote:

Today, as I was standing at the counter of a bank (Not mine as I was making a deposit for a friend) the bank manager approached me and asked if I was a police officer. I responded with a simple no. She paused for what seemed like an eternity. When she finally spoke, it was to tell me that "they don't allow handguns inside". I told her that I had no idea and they may want to consider posting signs at the entrances to alert visitors.
Huh? You are asking them to post? Why? if you ask them, they will come. Never bring up posting.

She was trying to tell me that I was wrong. I was telling her that I'm not a mind reader and that I would have no way of knowing. If that is their corporate policy, IT NEEDS TO BE POSTED!

Do you want a fellow OC'r to get the cops pulled on them in a less than friendly town? They already have the policy, we can't change that. Putting up signs just keeps us aware and out of the trouble and inconvenience that I could have encountered if they had called the cops.

So yeah, I told her that if they had a policy, they may want to share that little information instead of snapping a trap on one of us who isn't doing anything wrong.

Thoughts?

Commodore76

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Commodore76 wrote:

I bank with WAMU (Chase)

Which bank was saying they're doing that?
WCBfrom the West Oly branch. Where the Regional Managers office is.

Commodore76

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
My daughter is a Chase branchmanager and I assure you you wouldn't have that issue at her branch.I also bank with US and never had an issue.In fact a few days ago I went to my bank and the manager came runing of his office to tell e he say us on TV.

Lol, like I said, my branch could care less. I've been in a lot of banks. Two reactions are typical. Either they don't notice or they just don't care.

The reaction of WCB was, to me, TOTALLY overboard.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Remember, as property owners than can create whatever rules they wish in regards to weapons. That said, if they are gonna have 'em, they really should post the rules.

Also I doubt you'll have many if any problems with cops in Olympia, especially West Olympia. Lot of cool cops on that side of town.

Stoked

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
The Regional Manager went on to share with employees that I exercised poor judgement. In this day, normal people do not carry weapons.

Well, thank God I'm not normal.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

WCB from the West Oly branch
You and a few others know what WBC might be but clue in the rest of us.

US Bank - No "visible" weapons allowed (per Regional manager and head of Security) my emphasis

Key Bank - weapons welcome

Chase - weapons welcome

TechnoWeenie

imported post

chase has an anti-gun policy...

I closed my accounts with them because of it...

Ask colt45

Commodore76

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

US Bank - No "visible" weapons allowed (per Regional manager and head of Security) my emphasis

Chase - weapons welcome
Sorry bout that. West Coast Bank

joeroket

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I closed my accounts with Chase. a bunch of free stuff, like online billpay, all the sudden had charges associated with it....

Never had any problems/questions about OC in multiple branches, but I dislike the new management.

Huh. Thats not what you said the reason was in the post you linked to.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

joeroket wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
I closed my accounts with Chase. a bunch of free stuff, like online billpay, all the sudden had charges associated with it....

Never had any problems/questions about OC in multiple branches, but I dislike the new management.

Huh. Thats not what you said the reason was in the post you linked to.

It was the icing on the cake.... I didn't actually go out and close the account until after the incident with colt45, but it was empty, and was not being used..

David.Car

imported post

Carry into STCU (Spokane Teachers) every paycheck. Never had a single comment... ThinkI am up to somewhere around 2 dozen times or so.

And to the op. A little suggestion. Anytime someone tells you that you are not allowed to carry in a specific store, ask them if that is their corporate policy. Then ask for a copy of that policy. Then if they give it to you or not, ask for that persons supervisors name and number so you can call about getting their official firearms policy.

Most of the time stores have a no firearms policy for employees, and they will try and use that as a policy to keep you from carrying.

BIll98501

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

Chase - weapons welcome

West Coast Bank?

Commodore76

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Carry into STCU (Spokane Teachers) every paycheck. Never had a single comment... ThinkI am up to somewhere around 2 dozen times or so.

And to the op. A little suggestion. Anytime someone tells you that you are not allowed to carry in a specific store, ask them if that is their corporate policy. Then ask for a copy of that policy. Then if they give it to you or not, ask for that persons supervisors name and number so you can call about getting their official firearms policy.

Most of the time stores have a no firearms policy for employees, and they will try and use that as a policy to keep you from carrying.

Again, the obvious tension, panic and location of the incident were why I handled the situation as I did. Each scenario is different, as I'm sure you'd agree. The look on the faces of the staff and the managers staff was that of almost terror. I felt at the time, it was best to leave and not attempt to challenge the corporate policy on site. I had a feeling this was about to be a tremendous incident,I thought it best that she hearthe legality of what I did from other people.

Please understand that I had the interest of the OC public opinion at heart and felt that anything other than a strategic exit would have been less than positive for OC and what we are trying to do. Any words fromme would not have been taken as educational, only as a continued "threat" to the bank.

I didn't want to have themfeel anything otherthan love. I have a beautiful sidearm! Itdeserves love, really. ;)

Respectfully,

Commodore