• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wasatch Front Area Range Day, Sat Dec 5TH.

SiRed91

imported post

Anyone have directions for people coming from SLC?

I have never been there, but I want to come and meet you guys and shoot some paper.

rpyne

imported post

SiRed91 wrote:
Anyone have directions for people coming from SLC?

I have never been there, but I want to come and meet you guys and shoot some paper.
Take the 800 North Orem exit (exit 272), go east 3.7 miles and head up Provo Canyon (left lane). Take the Squaw Peak turnoff (1.9 miles) and go 3/4 mile to the gate for the range.

SiRed91

imported post

Cant wait....what time does this start ...um.... officially? Other than dawn?

I like to shoot....:celebrate

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Just cooking the kids some hash browns. I will be leaving as soon as the sun peeks over the mountain on my cold ass car! :p

See you there! :celebrate

manithree

imported post

That was fun! Thanks Mr. Magnum (or is that Mr. 41?)! Good to meet a coupla folks. I only had an hour (11:00-12:00), but it's good to put faces with a few of y'all.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I enjoyed it as well... got there a little after noon and left about 1330hrs after it got too cold for the 6yr old to enjoy it anymore....

fun shoot.

I vote for 41Magnum to do this again!!!!!!

Thanks

41 Magnum

imported post

First- It was a hoot, thank you all for making it a safe event, as well as helping leave it cleaner than when we found it.

Secondly- A BIG THANKS to rpyne. He stuck it out with me as a "drafted" RSO basically all day, shared his cookies, AND swept up afterwords.(I think he's just a brass rat is all:lol:)

Third- I WILL be doing it again in the spring after it warms up, but before it's open to the public. So plan on bringing chairs, pop-up shade, barbecues, dutch ovens etc., if you want, as it WILL be an all day event.

Lastly, to those of you that saw my Saiga 223 go "click" instead of "BANG"-

Wolf black box 55gr HP was the ammo in question. The round that went click had a primer in sideways that I didn't catch while loading magazines. So 7,000+ rounds, 3 malfs. ALL ammo issues. I'd say it does OK.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Even though I only stayed for an hour, I had a great time. Thanks for the invite, Ben! :celebrate

And thanks to rpyne for letting me document my near "GLOCK kB" with his chrony. I load my own .40 S&W pretty light on my Dillon 550, an I am usually pretty careful not to mess up.

I had put 90 round downrange, when Mr. Pyne set up his chronograph. I asked him if I could check the speed of my relaods, and he happily agreed. I had 10 rounds left, and the first 8 rounds averaged about 850 feet per second.

The ninth round recoiled like Ben's .41 magnum, and laid down a speed of 1450 feet per second. :shock: Needless to say, the recoil alone nearly case me to sh!t myself. I looked down to see if I was missing any fingers, and to my surprise, my GLOCK 35 held together.

So I decided to put the tenth round downrange, and one of my Remington Golden Sabre's for good measure. The GLOCK still works fine. I am convinced that the only reason my gun didn't blow up, is because the double charged round just happened to be in a nickel plated case. I have a feeling that if that was just a regular piece of range pick up brass, that you would be seeing pictures of a dead GLOCK. :lol:

41 Magnum

imported post

SGTJensen- 1450? 'Twas 1498 sir. I was looking right at the screen when you touched it off. What you did was turn your Glock 35 into a 357 magnum the way I load that caliber for my large framed Ruger wheelguns. I figure God just want's you here in one piece for some reason.

Rough guess given your slug weight, barrel length and velocity, I'm betting that load had to have easily bumped 50,000 psi range............Sure was a clean burning load though, eh? Now you see part of the reason I like my nasty magnums.:D

Wait- Packingmama, nothing to read here, move along;)