Thread: 'Open carry' law luncheon planned for Saturday Nov. 7th in Fowlerville, MI

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Hats off to Brian jeffs of Michigan Open Carry Inc. and frankly, the law enforcement community of Michigan which seems much more professional about this whole open carry thing than those of some states like Wisconsin!

This would be a great type of event to host in every state - this is the way to get the word out - a public event not targeted just at gun owners!

--

http://www.livingstondaily.com/artic...ncheon+planned

Anyone interested in learning about the "open carry" law for handguns is encouraged to attend a luncheon Saturday.

In God We Trust M/C, a Christian motorcycle club, is hosting a luncheon featuring Brian Jeffs, president of Michigan Open Carry Inc., a nonprofit organization that promotes the lawful carrying of a handgun.

The luncheon is set for noon to 3 p.m. Saturday at 131 N. Grand Ave. in Fowlerville.

Jeffs will speak about the law covering open carry of handguns and will also talk about a Second Amendment march planned for April 19 in Washington, D.C.

Jeffs contends that it is legal in Michigan for a citizen, over 18, to carry a handgun openly if the gun is registered in that person's name.

He said the state Legislature passed a preemption bill in 1990 that blocks local governments from passing more restrictive gun laws than the state government has passed.

Jeffs said the law does prohibit the open carrying of guns in a number of types of facilities, including but not limited to stores that sell alcohol, banks, courts and day cares.

Michigan Open Carry, based in Bath, north of Lansing, states as one of its objectives that the group hopes "to educate and desensitize the public and members of the law enforcement community about the legality of the open carry of a handgun in public."

Jeffs said a law enforcement officer will be on hand Saturday to further explain the legalities of open carry.

Attendees at the luncheon are asked to donate nonperishable food items for donations to an area food bank.

For more information about Michigan Open Carry, go to www.michiganopencarry.org

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Thanks, but to be honest not all Michigan LEOs are on board and MOC, Inc.has been and will continue to work with and educated departments as issue arise.

I think it is the efforts of many ofthe people on the Michigan forum that has made it a little easier to OC in this state. Still a ways to go, but definitely better than 3 years ago.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Yep a hats off to every person who OC's in MI and furthers the cause! :celebrate
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Our thanks to In God We Trust M/C for inviting us to their club. There was a nice turnout and as usual Brian gave a stellar presentation. Lots of good questions and discussion. They have invited us back whenever we want, and I hope to do so. We answered some good questions and cleared up some "misconceptions" about OC in Mich.
    Well done Brian.:celebrate

Post imported post

Warchild i had some misconceptions but they all moved out of the house 2 yrs ago:celebrate

Post imported post

Now that's funny....:celebrate You the man!

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
    Warchild i had some misconceptions but they all moved out of the house 2 yrs ago:celebrate
    Shame on you.........bbwwwaaaaHHHHHHahahhaha