• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which do I carry?

Tralpat

imported post

Here is the question... I just got a new S&W 1911. Do I start to carry that or do I continue to carry the XD?

Oh, and now that I am back from deployment, I plan on attending some dinners. I am excited to meet you all.

essayons

imported post

Whichever you are best with on the range and most familiar with the manual of arms. I assume you are most experienced with the XD, and it has the simplest manual of arms (point and shoot :D). If you find you shoot better at the range with the 1911, and are very familiar with getting it into action quickly, then switch.

Welcome back, glad to have you home!

alnitak

imported post

essayons wrote:
Whichever you are best with on the range and most familiar with the manual of arms. I assume you are most experienced with the XD, and it has the simplest manual of arms (point and shoot :D). If you find you shoot better at the range with the 1911, and are very familiar with getting it into action quickly, then switch.

+1

nova

imported post

alnitak wrote:
essayons wrote:

+1
+2. Never carry a firearm you haven't shot yet (to confirm reliability with your chosen carry ammo, point of impact, etc.), and never carry a firearm you haven't practiced with (manual of arms, drawing, etc.)

:)

richarcm

imported post

I agree with the others. Carry the one that is most likely to save your life. Take the gun you are used to. Meanwhile practice with the 1911. You will eventually find however that a 1911 is butter. They are very easy to shoot accurately once you get used to them.

AbNo

imported post

I used to carry either one, but I still can't find a left-handed Serpa for my XD, and I just can't stand the holster I have for it now that I've had a good (secure!) Serpa. :(

jeeper1

imported post

I had no problem getting a left handed Serpa holster for my XD. Try Midway or go to Blackhawk.

Blackhawk number and price.
#410507BK-L
MSRP$48.99

AbNo

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
I had no problem getting a left handed Serpa holster for my XD. Try Midway or go to Blackhawk.

Blackhawk number and price.
#410507BK-L
MSRP$48.99
Thanks, Jeeper!

Come to think of it, I just got my Pell Grant, and my classes are already paid off. Looks like I need to go order one. :celebrate

(five minutes later) In fact, I just did.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

1st) Carry what you are comfortable with.
Then) Practice with any other weapons that you own
After that) Carry what you are NOW most comfortable with
Then) 'Familiarize' yourself with any and all other weapons available to you in case you need to use something else in a SHTF scenario.
Wash, rinse, wipe hands on pants, repeat!

IMHO, the 1911 is a much finer weapon, however, that is just my opinion and not every glove fits every hand! Although I do have some 'technical' data backing up my opinion... The 1911 is a proven performer (not that the XD isn't... just a longevity issue) and possibly the biggest difference that I see is the trigger pull, the 1911 is typically very short and crisp, where the XD is longer and 'softer'. Again, that goes the way of familiarity and training!

45acpForMe

imported post

Tralpat wrote:
Here is the question... I just got a new S&W 1911. Do I start to carry that or do I continue to carry the XD?

Oh, and now that I am back from deployment, I plan on attending some dinners. I am excited to meet you all.
The best answer is carry what you are best at handling. For your safety and others.

With that said, I have bought some guns recently and have the urge to carry them even though I may have only put 50 rounds through them. I typically CC and OC at the same time so I have at least one gun with me that I am more than familiar with and another that still has that new-gun smell. :)

See you at one of the dinners and thank you for your service!

Tralpat

imported post

I appreciate the input from everyone. And, while I agree that the 1911 is a better weapon, I am going to continue to carry the XD. Here are the reasons why:

1. I am more familiar with it
2. It is easier to conceal when I choose to do so.
3. The 1911 is engraved with my command's name and logo. I will probably put it in a display case.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Tralpat wrote:
I appreciate the input from everyone. And, while I agree that the 1911 is a better weapon, I am going to continue to carry the XD. Here are the reasons why:

1. I am more familiar with it
2. It is easier to conceal when I choose to do so.
3. The 1911 is engraved with my command's name and logo. I will probably put it in a display case.
Excellent reasoning!
Thanks for your service!
Now you need a 'beater' 1911 to carry! I have a 'look pretty'/'safe queen' and then I have an EDC...