• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reccomended reading for sheeple?

Nathan9493

imported post

A few months back a police chase ended up in my front yard with the BG first heading to my front door then abruptly turning and jumping my 6' fence. The "gun in house" argument was over. We bought our first gun shortly thereafter. Since then I've spent many hours online studying the reasons and how to protect my family. My wife on the other hand thinks I've gone "Rambo". She is one of those people who thinks You buy a gun, put it in the safe and never pull it out again until a BG gives you a reason to. She won't spend time on this or any other web site to educate herself. So my ques. is this. Do you know of any books that will make her think with the serious attention this topic deserves?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

BizOwner

imported post

Have her watch Gangland on The History Channel. Show airs Thurs. nights, just started fourth season. My wife saw 5 episodes from season 1 & 2, and she changed hertune about carrying real fast.

Nathan9493

imported post

I think i need to clarify a bit. What I'm looking for is something that will make her more "security" minded. A higher level of alertness in public for example. She works nights, so i worry about her going to her car. I also worry about her patients family members who are distraught from death and illness. (she's a nurse) Not just crime stats.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

This would be a good start....

In the Gravest Extreme
- Massad Ayoob -- this is easily the first choice on this list due to material covered, manner it's delivered, and brevity for someone who probably will have a short attention span on this topic

Armed and Female - Paxton Quigley

-------------------------------------------

obligatory Col. Cooper reference:
To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth - Col. Jeff Cooper

Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America - Gary Kleck

More Guns, Less Crime - John Lott

Guns, Crime, and Freedom - Wayne LaPierre

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

How about a subscription to "American Freedom" magazine when you and your wife each join the NRA.

She may enjoy reading the section totled "Armed Citizen" reading how normal everyday people have successfully defended themselves and their loved ones by using their firearm against criminals that were trying to injure them.

me and the GF are each NRA members, we get different magazines, and read each others too. I like American hunter, she likes American freedom.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Google Penn and Teller's Bullsh_t, gun control episode very good.

Also 20/20 John Stossel, gun control also very good show on guns, with less swearing.

Both are found on youtube.

ScottyT

imported post

I know you are looking for books, but the above references to CorneredCat, Penn & Teller's Gun Control Show, and Stossel's piece are all required reading/watching for fence sitters and antis, IMO.

If she is opposed to watching either of the above, find a Penn & Teller episode on a topic she is interested in. It is a great show and she will want to watch more, eventually getting around to the gun control one.

Nathan9493

imported post

Its not that shes against having a gun. She was the one who wanted it in the first place. Its just getting her over the whole "you only need that kind of protection at home" mentality. I need her to be aware of the world around her and to be cautious when shes out.

XD40coyote

imported post

well, some women DO carry... ( show her this pic)

OCladiesB2.jpg

And yes I know Meleanie is in the pic...RIP Meleanie...