• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Brady Bunch is already celebrating

buster81

imported post

http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/press/view/1193/

Nov 6, 2009

Washington, DC - Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, issued the following statement about the tragedy at Fort Hood, Texas:

“Our deepest sympathies go to the families who lost loved ones or are today visiting them in the hospital. Along with the rest of the country, we wish the Fort Hood community a return to a secure and safe environment.

“When I heard of the tragedy yesterday, we were in the midst of planning a response to the latest dangerous legislative proposal from the gun lobby in the United States Senate - language to automatically restore access to guns to veterans designated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Justice Department as ‘mentally incapacitated’ or ‘mentally incompetent.’ In light of what happened yesterday - a violent attack by an emotionally unstable soldier - it is even clearer that the proposal being pushed by Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina should be rejected.

“America has seen an epidemic of horrific gun violence at churches and synagogues, workplaces, health clubs, high schools, universities, police stations and now Army bases. This latest tragedy, at a heavily fortified army base, ought to convince more Americans to reject the argument that the solution to gun violence is to arm more people with more guns in more places. Enough is enough.”

CrossFire

imported post

Does the moron not realize that all of his examples of the locations of increased violence are gun free zones?:cuss::banghead:eek:r does he just not care.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

buster81 wrote:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/press/view/1193/

Nov 6, 2009

Washington, DC - Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, issued the following statement about the tragedy at Fort Hood, Texas:

“Our deepest sympathies go to the families who lost loved ones or are today visiting them in the hospital. Along with the rest of the country, we wish the Fort Hood community a return to a secure and safe environment.
If it was a secure and safe environment, this would not have happened. They just don't get it, that so-calledgun-free zonesare neither gun-free nor secure and safe environments.:banghead:

Huck

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Does the moron not realize that all of his examples of the locations of increased violence are gun free zones?:cuss::banghead:eek:r does he just not care.

The moron dos'nt care about people's lives. He just dances in the blood of innocent, defenseless people to further his agenda of totaldisarmament of the American people. Which would lead to more blood for him to dance in.

Lie pusher Helmke uses every tragedy like this as ammunition for his agendaand refuses to consider that had the victims had the means to protect themselves the tragedies either would'nt have happened or would'nt have been as bad.

In an nutshell, the creep dos'nt care about people at all, no matter how much he bleats that he does.

zack991

imported post

Yet they claim the NRA uses mass shooting like this to push their agenda., but it always is the other way around. Why can't criminal go after these morons at Brady.

Statesman

imported post

This latest tragedy, at a heavily fortified army base, ought to convince more Americans to reject the argument that the solution to gun violence is to arm more people with more guns in more places. Enough is enough.
Yes Mr. Helmke, enough is enough. Your organizations style of gun control killed the 13 soldiers in this mass slaughter, and we have your genocide promoting organization to thank for it. Only armed authorities = dead people.

The Brady Campaign to Promote American Genocide continues their moronic misinformation campaign of illogical statements and mistruths, such as this, to promote citizen disarmament. Is Mr. Helmke serious? If Fort Hood was so "heavily fortified", why did the local police have to send in SWAT teams into a military base? Simple, most of his victims were disarmed by Army regulations. Where were the MPs before 13 people were shot to death? Not close enough to shoot the criminal before he takes a life.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2206-Clev...er~y2009m11d6-Lessons-from-Fort-Hood-Shooting

First of all, Hasan, by himself, was able to wreak havoc at a secure military installation while reportedly armed with nothing but two handguns. How? Most of his intended victims were disarmed. Army regulations require that under normal operational procedure at Army bases on home soil soldiers are prohibited from carrying weapons unless under specific orders to do so (such as military police). This left highly trained fighting men and women at the mercy of a killer. We see the same scenario play out over and over when it is law abiding citizens disarmed by their government who are easy targets for armed criminals.

Despite the regulations, Hasan was able to arm himself and able to kill freely until it was someone with a gun who stopped him. For disarmed civilians, this is usually either the police or another armed citizen. For the soldiers at Ft. Hood, it was probably a MP who finally ended the carnage. It may also have been a civilian police officer as they were on the scene and one was reportedly among the casualties.
That's right Mr. Helmke, criminals don't follow regulations. I thought you might have learned that by now.

TFred

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/06/senator-accuses-anti-gun-group-exploiting-fort-hood-massacre/

Senator Accuses Anti-Gun Group of Exploiting Fort Hood Massacre

Republican Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina is lashing out against the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, accusing the group of exploiting the deadly rampage to oppose his gun lobby backed bill -- which seeks to protect veterans' rights to gun ownership.

An anti-gun group is using the shooting rampage Thursday at Fort Hood as an example in its campaign against pending gun rights legislation, drawing accusations of exploitation from a Republican senator.

Republican Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina is lashing out against the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, accusing the group of exploiting the deadly rampage to oppose his gun lobby backed bill -- which seeks to protect veterans' rights to gun ownership.

In a statement issued Thursday, the group's president, Paul Helmke, said in light of what happened yesterday - a violent attack by an emotionally unstable soldier - it is even clearer that the proposal being pushed by Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina should be rejected."

"America has seen an epidemic of horrific gun violence at churches and synagogues, workplaces, health clubs, high schools, universities, police stations and now Army bases. This latest tragedy, at a heavily fortified army base, ought to convince more Americans to reject the argument that the solution to gun violence is to arm more people with more guns in more places. Enough is enough," said Helmke.

Burr was quick to blast Helmke's remarks, saying, "In this time of personal and national tragedy when most people’s prayers and thoughts are rightfully with the families and friends affected by the tragedy at Fort Hood, one can only be amazed that Mr. Helmke would use such an event to try to advance his personal agenda.

"It is a shame that this process has gotten to a point where some feel that they can exploit the senseless murder of American soldiers in the quest to secure personal triumph," Burr said.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence was founded by former White House press secretary James Brady, who was shot and permanently paralyzed during a 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.

Burr, the ranking Republican on the veterans committee, has been a staunch supporter of Second Amendment rights.

TFred

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
the answer:
he just doesn't care.
Definitely not a man who lets a little inconvenience like "facts" get in the way of his agenda...

TFred

Alexcabbie

imported post

JUST AS I PREDICTED on another thread, the Bradyites are trying to convince the public that even armed-to-the-teeth soldiers are no match for a maniac with a pistol when of course the situaation was nothing of the kind. Their message? Soldier=armed; armed=defenseless; gun=villain; solution= get rid of guns and teach everyone to sing Kumbayah.

It is infuriating that Sarah Brady lent her name to this bunch of creeps and cannot or will not see that they are dancing in the brain matter he lost when Hinckley shot him. Hinckley got close enough to have knifed Reagan, and had he done that instead of shooting him, Reagan likely would have bled out before he got to GW. Morons.

If I had my druthers, then tomorrow; instead of a flag, Ft. Hood would fly the shooter and that Helmke dude from the flagpole by their 'nads. :cuss:

buster81

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
It is infuriating that Sarah Brady lent her name to this bunch of creeps and cannot or will not see that they are dancing in the brain matter he lost when Hinckley shot him.

I don't think she has any problem seeing what is up. I just got this from her in my junk e-mail account begging for money.

Dear xxxx,

Good news! Just in the past few days — since Brian Malte's email to you last week — you've added eight new cosponsors to H.R 2324, Rep. Mike Castle and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy's bill to close the gun show loophole.

Thanks to you and others, we are getting closer to our ambitious goal of 100 cosponsors by Martin Luther King Day, January 18.

We can do this. When we keep the pressure on, we will close the gun show loophole.

But it will take every voice ... and every dollar ... to help pass this common sense bill to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of dangerous people.

Please make a contribution to the Brady Campaign now
to help save lives.

The gun lobby will fight us every step of the way with its ridiculous mantra of "any gun, anywhere, for anybody." But you and I have been in this fight for a long time. And common sense is on our side.

We want 100 cosponsors by January 18, but we are also pressing for a congressional hearing on the issue, and we are working with our media contacts to get editorials and interviews on all major news programs.

Brady and Million Mom March Chapters — we have more than 70 — are also organizing in key districts to help get more cosponsors.

This kind of all-out effort is how we passed the Brady Law.

But our victories do not come cheap — especially against the mammoth gun lobby machine.

We have the momentum — cosponsors are coming on board. Please keep us moving forward with a contribution to the Brady Campaign today.

Help me in this fight to close the gun show loophole. Donate now to the Brady Campaign. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Sarah Brady, Chair
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I emailed my US Rep. Marsha Blackburn requesting that she and others in congress do what they can to get the "No Carry" policy changed on Military bases.

Dear Representative Blackburn,

Due to the tragic mass shooting at Ft Hood, as well as previous similarevents at other so called "Gun Free Zones", I believe it is time to re-evaluate the current "No Carry on base" policy the military has. It makes no sense, that our military personal are trained in small arms, but yet are not allowed to carry even a handgun for self-defense or defense of the base. Many of our soldiers have state issued carry permits, but they cannot carry their sidearm's while in uniform or on base. Well, we see how wellthat's worked out haven't we?

Madame, I am a civilian with a TN issued Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). I carry a handgun everyday, everywhere I can legally, including my bank. I was openly carrying a 9mm semi-auto pistol the day I shook your hand at a town hall meeting you hosted at the Commodore Hotel in Lobelville (old fellow with the cowboy hat) a couple months ago. If I can carry a weapon for self-defense, as I do, our soldiers should be able to do the same. I believe that if there had been just a few soldiers present when Maj Hassan initiated his assault the carnage would not have been near as bad as it was. As it were, it only took one WOMAN with a handgun to dispatch the shooter and she was a civilian law enforcement officer.

I encourage you to look into getting the military policy of "No carry" lifted, so that our soldiers can protect themselves and their base. I suspect this kind of thing may occur again, possibly worse than this attack was.

Jerry Morris
Lobelville, TN

I'll let you know what kind of response I get from her.
In the mean time I suggest that all of us contact our congress critters about the Military's policy.

KansasMustang

imported post

As some people don't know or understand, the soldiers on a military installation do not go about armed all day every day. Their assigned weapons are all locked away in an arms room and only drawn for training and/or cleaning. The ammunition is all kept at a guarded ammunition dump where it takes the S-4 and support platoon leader to draw it out. I was listening to a talk radio host that was sittin in for Rush yesterday and he could not believe that our soldiers were not better protected. He could not fathom that our soldiers could not carry loaded weapons on post.
I can't either. BUT it's been that way forever. Maybe it needs to change. :banghead:

sraacke

imported post

at a heavily fortified army base
WTF? Have these idiots ever been to Fort Hood? I was stationed there for 2 years. There's nothing "fortified" about it. There are highways running through it and out to nearby towns like Killeen. Driving onto Ft Hood is no more difficult than driving onto campus at LSU. As others have pointed out, when we werestationed there our weapons, including personally owned handguns and rifles, had to be securedin a company arms room. There is nothing "fortified" about our Army bases.

VA Lawyer

imported post

I think that even some of those who may be anti-gun are disgusted at this press release and see it for what it really is - manipulating someone else's tragedy for one's own political gain. The comments to an article on this press release over at the progressive bastion, the Huffington Post, are quite hostile towards Helmke.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-helmke/fort-hood-shooting-1-dist_b_348895.html

Repeater

imported post

Did anyone see Obama and hear what he said? Wasn't he celebrating, too?

This Day-by-Day says it all:

110709.jpg

Pet Goat, indeed.

Repeater

imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
I think that even some of those who may be anti-gun are disgusted at this press release and see it for what it really is - manipulating someone else's tragedy for one's own political gain. The comments to an article on this press release over at the progressive bastion, the Huffington Post, are quite hostile towards Helmke.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-helmke/fort-hood-shooting-1-dist_b_348895.html
It's called "dancing in the blood..."

As you can see, Helmke has done this before. To quote from Paul:

[align=center]Enough is enough.
[/align]

Alexcabbie

imported post

The Obama press conference where he gave a "shout out' to a "Medal of Honor" recipient (who was actually a Medal of Freedom recipient who got the award from Obama himself) was IMO nothing like the "My Pet Goat" business.

When Dubya, after learning of the first attack, continued reading the story to the kiddies, it was because he did not want to alarm them or anyone else; and you can bet he was formulating a response even as he continued reading.

Obama's remarks on the other hand were approximately: HI everyone, It's ME myself in person. Boy it is great to be here. By the way, we had some soldiers killed or something, I have people working on it. Is the food ready?"

"Pet goat"?? Obama is the goat. Big time.