• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pinckney Ordinances

T Vance

imported post

They seem to be good to go with their firearm ordinances. What do you think about this though.

§ 132.041 RECKLESS USE OF FIREARMS.
It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly, heedlessly, willfully or wantonly, carry or handle any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others.

T Vance

imported post

Yeah, it sounded good to me, just wanted to make sure I wasn't mis-reading it.

I did find this ordinance in Hamburg township though in reference to a park they have.

"2. No persons, except employees or officers of the Township, shall carry firearms of any description, or air rifle, or slingshot, or bow within the park, or discharge any firearms, fireworks or explosive substances, or air rifle therein without specific permit from the Township."

PDinDetroit

imported post

T Vance wrote:
They seem to be good to go with their firearm ordinances. What do you think about this though.

§ 132.041 RECKLESS USE OF FIREARMS.
It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly, heedlessly, willfully or wantonly, carry or handle any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others.
T Vance - I think it is too vague and could be used against someone OC'ing. I have seen several cities have this same EXACT ordinance. The following is what I posted after TheSzerdi was detained at Fairlane Mall:

Reckless, wanton use or negligent discharge of firearm. It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to recklessly, heedlessly, wilfully or wantonly use, carry, handle or discharge any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others.

Definitions:

willfully = done deliberately
due = satisfying or capable of satisfying a need, obligation, or duty
caution = prudent forethought to minimize risk
circumspection = careful to consider all circumstances and possible consequences

So:

1. I do carry deliberately, as I gave much thought to carrying a firearm OC or otherwise prior to doing so.

2. I do consider the possible risks of OC and have learned all I can about PFZ's, LEO Interaction, Situational Awareness, and am now using a Retention Holster.

*HOWEVER*

3. I can see some LEO using the "safety of others" argument that because they did not "feel safe", I violated this ordinance.

Therefore, I would re-write this ordinance this way:

RECKLESS USE OF FIREARMS.
It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly carry, handle, or discharge any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others.

The LEO would then have to PROVE that I was acting recklessly, which Michiganer has pointed out is already covered for lawful OC. I just think it best to give a LEO less ammunition in which to "jam-up" a lawful OC'er.

T Vance

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
T Vance - I think it is too vague and could be used against someone OC'ing. I have seen several cities have this same EXACT ordinance. The following is what I posted after TheSzerdi was detained at Fairlane Mall:

Reckless, wanton use or negligent discharge of firearm. It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to recklessly, heedlessly, wilfully or wantonly use, carry, handle or discharge any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others.

Definitions:

willfully = done deliberately
due = satisfying or capable of satisfying a need, obligation, or duty
caution = prudent forethought to minimize risk
circumspection = careful to consider all circumstances and possible consequences

So:

1. I do carry deliberately, as I gave much thought to carrying a firearm OC or otherwise prior to doing so.

2. I do consider the possible risks of OC and have learned all I can about PFZ's, LEO Interaction, Situational Awareness, and am now using a Retention Holster.

*HOWEVER*

3. I can see some LEO using the "safety of others" argument that because they did not "feel safe", I violated this ordinance.

Therefore, I would re-write this ordinance this way:

RECKLESS USE OF FIREARMS.
It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly carry, handle, or discharge any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others.

The LEO would then have to PROVE that I was acting recklessly, which Michiganer has pointed out is already covered for lawful OC. I just think it best to give a LEO less ammunition in which to "jam-up" a lawful OC'er.
Any suggestions on wording a letter to the township about this ordinance?

PDinDetroit

imported post

CRAP! :banghead:

I found this while searching the MCL's:

752.863a Reckless, wanton use or negligent discharge of firearm; penalty.
Sec. 3.
Any person who shall recklessly or heedlessly or wilfully or wantonly use, carry, handle or discharge any firearm without due caution and circumspection for the rights, safety or property of others shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

History: Add. 1955, Act 14, Eff. Oct. 14, 1955
Compiler's Notes: Section 3, as added by Act 14 of 1955, was compiled as MCL 752.863[a] to distinguish it from another section 3, deriving from Act 45 of 1952 and pertaining to the repeal of MCL 750.235a. The compilation number formerly assigned to this section was MCL 752.a863.

It looks like Pinckney is in line with MI Laws. I STILL DO NOT LIKE IT THOUGH!!!

PDinDetroit

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
I don't believe the city can regulate "carry".
Based upon the 1990 MI Preemption Law, they can as long as the state or federal law allows it. In my previous post, the MI law pretty closely matches their law.

752.863a is the MI Law.