• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I held the door open for LEO

chewy352

imported post

I walked into 7-11 on convoy st with my son on my left hip and my .45 on the other. As I walked in a female SDPD officer was walking out so I held the door for her and said good evening mam and she said thank you and continued walking.

I was expecting her to return either because she realized I was carrying or because someone would flag her down but nothing happened. I paid for my sodas and walked back out to my car.

When I tried to put my 2yo in the car he through a fit and the gentlemen in the car beside me got my attention. He had witnessed the whole event and asked me some questions about UOC. I gave him a card and explained the care that must be taken before UOCing (which is just wrong. No one should have to spend months investigating laws just to exercises their rights). He also asked if I was LE and I told him no I'm an American (he got a kick out of that).

When I got home I called SDPD non emergency line to ask about myself;

ME: I was at 7-11 today and saw a man with a gun holstered on his belt and I was wondering if that is legal in CA.

Dispatcher: Well I'm not the best person to ask that question but I believe it is legal but applies to only certain guns and calibers. There are some groups around that carry to try andincite a police reaction.

Me: Well I don't think he was trying to incite the police because he held the door open for your officer.

I cant remember the rest but that's the gist of it.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Dispatcher: Well I'm not the best person to ask that question but I believe it is legal but applies to only certain guns and calibers. There are some groups around that carry to try andincite a police reaction.

If you carried to incite a police reaction, you failed miserably.

And this call to the dispatcher is more conclusive proof youaren't likely to getgood legal information from 'the authorities'.

chewy352

imported post

Well the LEOs reaction is as it should be. I don't carry for any reaction as I don't have the money to defend my legal activities.

I only called basically to see if there was any calls about me and to see what education if any the dispatchers are getting. From some of her comments I could tell that she at least skimmed over the memo.

wewd

imported post

The vast majority of people, LEOs included, simply do not notice a holstered handgun. I have been within arms reach of a half dozen cops and they didn't notice. I guess that I, too, have failed miserably to incite a police reaction. Not that that was my intent, it was merely a coincidence that I was carrying in a place with lots of cops.

OPS MARINE

imported post

I have to agree with WEWD. I have noticed that although I don't try to attract attention to myself, simply no one notices this handgun on my hip. I try to make it as visible as possible (3 sides) and I keep my hands away from it. I have spoken to off-duty LEOs whom I recognize at the mall and in other places, but no reaction (not that I'm looking for one). Spoke with an on-duty friend of mine tonight, and nothing. Didn't expect anything from him anyway.

Another thing, if you LOOK like there is a problem, people pick up on that. As long as we are just doing what we would normally do, no one gets all crazy and dials 911...unless we're introducing ourselves to the BG.

mjones

imported post

Not neccessarily directed at you OpsMarine....just a general piece of info...

If/When you see 'off duty' LEOs out and about.....please, please, please for their and their families sake don't presume that they are in fact off duty.

About the only safe-zone I can see for this is if it is evident that there are children in the care & custody of the LEO. or maybe if you are personal friend and have additional knowledge to definatively know they aren't working.

This is an issue whether OC or not...bit I feel its especially important if you are OC. You know how a huge portion of people simply assume many OCers are LEO...combine that with direct interaction with someone who at that point in time maybe isn't supposed to be a LEO....could be bad

Sorry if this sounds like a useless rant, but its kinda personal at the moment.

OPS MARINE

imported post

mjones wrote: (snip)
Not neccessarily directed at you OpsMarine....just a general piece of info...
Good advice, and I'm glad you posted it. I know my surroundings, but always good to have someone else look from a different angle. I will think about this especially when I travel or meet someone new to LE (or at least new to me). No offense taken.