• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond, VA carry question

driveramsII

imported post

I go to VCU and while I know I can not carry on campus I was talking to a VCU Officer while at work and he said carrying is not allowed in the city of Richmond period. Anyone know any better or is he "off base"?

Thanks

Dreamer

imported post

Your VCU campus cop is absolutely incorrect, and was just making it up. There is no general prhibition against carrying, OC or CC in Richmond VA.

There IS, however, a general prohibition against carrying, or even POSSESSING a firearm on VCU's campus, regardless of whether or not you have a permit, unless you have express written permission from the President of the University:
I want to make 3 points when it comes to dealing with LEO's in general, and Campus LEO's in particular:

Point 1: Don't EVER take the word of a "campus cop" when it comes to the laws of your state or city. Most of them don't know ANYTHING about "real world" law, and the vast majority of them are campus cops because they don't have the intellectual wherewithall to make it through their state's Police Academies. In my experience, I have serious doubts that most campus cops have even read the statutes that govern their jurisdictions, or the statutes that deal specifically with the most common issues with which they deal. In fact, I am beginning to have serious doubts about the general literacy rate among campus police in general.

Point 2: Don't take the word of a "regular cop" as correct when it comes to the law. Cops are NOT lawyers--they are "enforcement officers"--it is NOT their job to interpret the law. It is their job to try and catch you doing something they THINK is wrong, collect the fees and fines, and then let the Courts sort it out...

Point 3: Here is the REAL statute concerning prohibitions of certain types of firearms in specific cities in VA:
§18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
What this essentially means is that as long as your pistol DOES NOT have 1) a threaded barrel, OR 2) a folding stock, or 3) a 20-round (or more) magazine, you are good to go.

And if you have a valid Concealed Handgun Permit (from VA or ANY state with reciprocity with VA), you are exempt from this prohibition, whether CC or OC. At least that's how I read it.

But IANAL.

Contact the VA Attorney General's office:
Good luck sorting this out. When you do get it sorted out, xerox the pertinent statutes and mail copies to the Chief of Campus Police, the Student Board of Governors, and the Dean of Students, and let them all know that the campus police gave you incorrect information regarding the law, and need to be corrected and educated.

ODA 226

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Point 1: Don't EVER take the word of a "campus cop" when it comes to the laws of your state or city. Most of them don't know ANYTHING about "real world" law, and the vast majority of them are campus cops because they don't have the intellectual wherewithall to make it through their state's Police Academies.
Dreamer,

Campus Police Officers are considered by the Commonwealth to be State Police Officers and have Statewide Police Authority. We used Campus Police Officers when I was with the Virginia Governors Drug Task Force for narcotics raids and surveillences all over the Commonwealth.

That being said, the cop was WRONG! ;)

Dreamer

imported post

Oda,

Do campus police, since they are considered to be "State Police", have to go through the Academy like "real" State Troopers?

Judging from my experience, I would find it either hard to believe, or it would REALLY decrease my confidence in the VA Academy to properly educate LEOs...

paramedic70002

imported post

Dreamer, I'm going out on a limb here, but I vote "Not the Same Academy" since the obvious end result is quite disparate.

Oh and to the OP, next time you decide to get free entertainment by asking an LEO about the law, make sure to ask him to quote the relevant Code. He won't be able to, so give him your phone number and then wait for his call...

At least maybe he'll educate himself!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Question related to the following:

"There IS, however, a general prohibition against carrying, or even POSSESSING a firearm on VCU's campus, regardless of whether or not you have a permit, unless you have express written permission from the President of the University:"

Would anyone recommend drafting a letter to the President of the University (this seems quite common in most states and university's). Making the case for self defense and knowing that you will get a written 'NO'. Thus putting the University in a position of liability if anything ever does happen? If the Presiden't office was overwhelmed every year with a few hundred of these perhaps overtime it would make a difference??

simmonsjoe

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Dreamer, I'm going out on a limb here, but I vote "Not the Same Academy" since the obvious end result is quite disparate.

Oh and to the OP, next time you decide to get free entertainment by asking an LEO about the law, make sure to ask him to quote the relevant Code. He won't be able to, so give him your phone number and then wait for his call...

At least maybe he'll educate himself!
Damn skippy! I've heard more bullshit come out of cops mouths than I can keep track of. I'm sure there are some good knowledgeable cops out there, but there seems to be more that are ignorant or liars(unfortunately). Hopefully its just they stick out more but are the minority.

simmonsjoe

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Question related to the following:

"There IS, however, a general prohibition against carrying, or even POSSESSING a firearm on VCU's campus, regardless of whether or not you have a permit, unless you have express written permission from the President of the University:"

Would anyone recommend drafting a letter to the President of the University (this seems quite common in most states and university's). Making the case for self defense and knowing that you will get a written 'NO'. Thus putting the University in a position of liability if anything ever does happen? If the Presiden't office was overwhelmed every year with a few hundred of these perhaps overtime it would make a difference??
Search the forums this has been discussed AT LENGTH. It is a hugely complex issue and needs not be discussed in this thread.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
There IS, however, a general prohibition against carrying, or even POSSESSING a firearm on VCU's campus, regardless of whether or not you have a permit, unless you have express written permission from the President of the University:
For clarification, that administrative statute only pertains to "members of the University community", like the OP as a student. It does not prohibit others who are not students or other employees of VCU.
What this essentially means is that as long as your pistol DOES NOT have 1) a threaded barrel, OR 2) a folding stock, or 3) a 20-round (or more) magazine, you are good to go.
Further clarification, a 20 round mag is fine. The code says a mag that will hold more than 20 rounds.