• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg PD

Jero1987

imported post

So tonight a couple buddies of mine and I went to sheetz to get lunch. (like we do every night) When we pulled in there, was a cop car parked in the no parking zone, in between two handicapped parking spots. There were two cops outside eating food and drinking coffee, clearly not responding to a call.I got out my cam-corder and recorded his car, unfortunately I forgot my batteries were low and it die almost immediately. The one cop said, "Make sure you get a good shot!". I just responded, "Sir, I got what I needed, It just upsets me when my tax payer money goes to stuff like that. I am not trying to start trouble." He gave me a smart look and then I walked into sheetz to get my food.

Immediately, the cop went to his car and drove away. The other cop came in and said, "We can park anywhere we want in town, when we want. We don't have to be responding to a call."
I only responded, "If that's the way you want to interpret the law, that's fine."
He then proceeded to point at our guns. "Just want to let you know, when you guys carry like that (OC), your just asking for trouble." All three of responded that we have all been open carrying for around two years with no real trouble. Another cop drove up and came in and said, "These guys are "The Sheetz Crew", they come in all the time and hang out." We responded that we only get our lunch here and leave. I also said, "We are well within our rights to open carry here whenever we want." He responded, "I am well aware of the law, thank you." and I said, "Well I am glad to hear that".

This was my first upsetting experience with the LPD. Hopefully it is my last.... ha!

Jero1987

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
You were just asking for a negative experience since you started talking @#$% to the cops.
Talking sh*t? I wasent planning on saying a word to them. THEY were the ones who made the comment, "Make sure you get a good shot!". We were polite and calm the whole time. Complaining about how my tax payer money is spent is NOT talking sh*t.

essayons

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
You were just asking for a negative experience since you started talking @#$% to the cops.

His story sounds like the cops started talking @#$% first. The cops were in the wrong, and Jero1987 called them on it, and if he said verbatim what he posted here, he did it quite politely. That's not talking @#$%.

hunter45

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Talking sh*t? I wasent planning on saying a word to them. THEY were the ones who made the comment, "Make sure you get a good shot!". We were polite and calm the whole time. Complaining about how my tax payer money is spent is NOT talking sh*t.

Exactly, it sounded like they were joking around with you, and then you start giving them shit.

Jero1987

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Exactly, it sounded like they were joking around with you, and then you start giving them @#$%.
Please explain how the statement, which WAS verbatim, "Sir, I got what I needed, It just upsets me when my tax payer money goes to stuff like that. I am not trying to start trouble.", is talking sh*t?

hunter45

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Exactly, it sounded like they were joking around with you, and then you start giving them @#$%.
Please explain how the statement, which WAS verbatim, "Sir, I got what I needed, It just upsets me when my tax payer money goes to stuff like that. I am not trying to start trouble.", is talking sh*t?

If you were working and some guy you don't know comes up to you and tells you he isn't happy with what you're doing, aren't you going to be a little ticked off?

Jero1987

imported post

This country is a republic and police aren't above the law.

One of the few legal ways that taxpayers can show their disappointment in waste of taxpayer money is to record them. Police do NOT like when citizens excercise their rights politely and especially when they know the law.

Jero1987

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

If you were working and some guy you don't know comes up to you and tells you he isn't happy with what you're doing, aren't you going to be a little ticked off?
My boss yells at me all the time when I am doing something I shouldn't. And guess what I do? I correct myself. Last time I checked taxpayers pay their paychecks.

Ill make sure the next time I see police break the law and or waste my tax payer money, to thank them as my holy and always correct, lords and masters.

hunter45

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:

One of the few legal ways that taxpayers can show their disappointment in waste of taxpayer money is to record them. Police do NOT like when citizens excercise their rights politely and especially when they know the law.

If you never made that smart comment to the cops then they probably wouldn't have made those negative comments to you about OC. You were just asking for trouble.

Jero1987

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:

If you never made that smart comment to the cops then they probably wouldn't have made those negative comments to you about OC. You were just asking for trouble.
Asking for trouble would have been if i would have said, "hey pigs move your car!"

I didnt say a word. I don't care if they were joking. If they call me out for doing something completely LEGAL, i will not just act like a sheeple and run away. They are NOT above taxpayers when it comes to obeying the law.

hunter45

imported post

And why would you go up to the police while holding a cam corder if you weren't looking for trouble? Obviously we all carry voice recorders, but walking up to the police with a video camera in your hand and telling them they aren't doing their job...that's just trying to stir up trouble. But whatever, that's just my opinion. I don't wanna start a huge argument.

jadedone4

imported post

Jero - let start by stating that I do not know you, or the cop in question; however, you walked into a situation (beginning, middle, end....) making an assumption about the cop's behavior (parking in that area - between two handicap spaces); you then point a video camera at the officers - so that you had an "ahhh-hhhaaaa" or "gotcha" moment - then finally state that you were not going to file a complaint.

What was the purpose, or intention of your actions? What did you hope to accomplish by your actions? What educational value did you hope to impart upon the officers, the forum members here, your friends, and the general public?

When we choose to OC we are representative of our collective demographic; like it or not, fair or unfair, our actions represent how "others" view our movement of both self-defense, education and exercising our rights. I will not go as far as stating that you were looking for "trouble" in that interaction with the LEO's; but will say that you were looking to prove "right and wrong" and the LEO was a target - would you have filmed the hooptie, Benz or oversized SUV parked in the same manner, and also talked to that vehicle's owner - in same manner as you did the LEO's?

More importantly, when you are driving and you are over the speed limit, do you call it into the local LEO's and agreed to accept a ticket?

I'd agree that both sides - being armed, and hopefully polite members of society - had an opportunity to interact better - and educate the other; but unfortunately, both acted in a manner that only solidified/re-inforced the typical stereotypes...

Jero1987

imported post

jadedone4 wrote:
Jero - let start by stating that I do not know you, or the cop in question; however, you walked into a situation (beginning, middle, end....) making an assumption about the cop's behavior (parking in that area - between two handicap spaces); you then point a video camera at the officers - so that you had an "ahhh-hhhaaaa" or "gotcha" moment - then finally state that you were not going to file a complaint.

What was the purpose, or intention of your actions? What did you hope to accomplish by your actions? What educational value did you hope to impart upon the officers, the forum members here, your friends, and the general public?

When we choose to OC we are representative of our collective demographic; like it or not, fair or unfair, our actions represent how "others" view our movement of both self-defense, education and exercising our rights. I will not go as far as stating that you were looking for "trouble" in that interaction with the LEO's; but will say that you were looking to prove "right and wrong" and the LEO was a target - would you have filmed the hooptie, Benz or oversized SUV parked in the same manner, and also talked to that vehicle's owner - in same manner as you did the LEO's?

More importantly, when you are driving and you are over the speed limit, do you call it into the local LEO's and agreed to accept a ticket?

I'd agree that both sides - being armed, and hopefully polite members of society - had an opportunity to interact better - and educate the other; but unfortunately, both acted in a manner that only solidified/re-inforced the typical stereotypes...
Prove right and wrong? Well in the state of VA parking in a no parking zone and or handicapped spot without a sticker is well illegal. I recorded the car legally and enjoy documenting my money being WASTED.

Here is the difference with your speeding example, when I speed for personal reasons I get a ticket, when LEO's speed they get to where they are going faster.

I do not have a problem with LEOs and do not cruise around looking for them doing things wrong. But I do however record them when they do, do it.

Also, I would have filed a complaint, If i had recorded the license plate or their badge numbers.

I do not have a problem with LEOs and have no vendetta against them. But I do not feel that they shouldnt be able to do whatever they want without anything happening.

Thanks for your thoughts though and putting your point of perspective into play. :)

richarcm

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Sounds like perhaps they deserved a little @#$%. I dont think he was provoking them without cause.

richarcm

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:

Thats like saying that a girl deserves to be raped because she wore a skirt. The cops and only the cops are responsible for what comes out of their mouths. The conversation had nothing to do with guns. And the whole point of our movement is to make wearing a gun like wearing a cell phone. The cops don't have any authority to question our possession of a cell phone OR a gun.

Glock27Bill

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
And why would you go up to the police while holding a cam corder if you weren't looking for trouble? Obviously we all carry voice recorders, but walking up to the police with a video camera in your hand and telling them they aren't doing their job...that's just trying to stir up trouble. But whatever, that's just my opinion. I don't wanna start a huge argument.

I didn't read it that way.

He video tapedtheir vehicle, not them.

And they started the conversation, not him.

If you want to make the case that he somehow created the situation, that's fine. Civil discourse is a good thing.

But embellishing kinda undermines your position, doesn't it?

Personally, I would not have been too concerned about where they parked, but their subsequent comment about "asking for trouble" by OCing kinda reinforces the perception of arrogance that caused them to park illegally, doesn't it?