• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg PD

Jero1987

imported post

The one thing overall that floored me, was when the cop said, "We can park anywhere we want in town, when we want. We don't have to be responding to a call."

Now as far as my understanding goes, yes Sheetz is open the public, but they are still private property. I wonder what some of my neighbors would think if the cops just decided they are going to park on their front lawn to speed check.

richarcm

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
The one thing overall that floored me, was when the cop said, "We can park anywhere we want in town, when we want. We don't have to be responding to a call."

Now as far as my understanding goes, yes Sheetz is open the public, but they are still private property. I wonder what some of my neighbors would think if the cops just decided they are going to park on their front lawn to speed check.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that when you see those "NO LOITERING" signs....their is not anything on it about cops being exempt. Besides...its not even that. If they have so little to do....why do we need them? I know that my company is on furlough. We don't have as much to do so I am required to take a day off here and there. If they caught me not doing anything my company would be ALL OVER ME. I think as bad as the economy is it is responsible of us to keep these guys moving. Surely there is SOMETHING they could do other than hang out with their buddies and reinforce their stereotype of hanging out drinking coffee and eating donuts on the clock. Meanwhile....there are drug deals going on, gangs robbing and killing, illegal immigrants walking the streets, women being abused and people calling 911 only to wait 15 minutes for cops to arrive. I love cops and support them 110% but when they need a swift kick in the rear....they, no different than anyone else, deserve one.

Wangmuf

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
jadedone4 wrote: Prove right and wrong? Well in the state of VA parking in a no parking zone and or handicapped spot without a sticker is well illegal. I recorded the car legally and enjoy documenting my money being WASTED.

SNIP

How does illegally parking on their (more than likely union mandated) lunch break equate to wasting your money? Because another cop didn't cite the offending cop and bring in revenue for the city?

As a son of a handicapped woman, people who do what that officer did piss me off to no end, and I would have made the opening comment in the conversation if I were you.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

I don't see the police officers eating their meal as wasting money. The parking in a no parking zone in no more legal for them than you or me. Even without tag number, name,or badge number a complaint to the chief of department about the illegal parkingis warranted.

The department needs to correct the officers if only by memo to all members of the department.

:cuss:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As a user of handicapped parking spaces I'm going to jump in the conversation. That "space" between handicapped lanes is there to allow access for persons who use a lift/ramp of some sort to get in and out of their vehicle. The fact that some folks who qualify for handicapped parking access do not need the extra room for a ramp/lift does not mean anyone can/should block the space on a case-by-case basis.

Cops, like firefighters and ambulance crews, often do need to be able to get out and on the road in a hurry if they are called onduring a break. I have not seen firefighters or ambulance crews use part of a handicapped parking space, although I have seen some folks complain about them taking up 3 parking spaces by placing traffic cones around their vehicle. Or they may loiter in the "No Parking - Fire Lane" zone while one crew member goes in to get whatever everybody wants. (I'veseen several cups of coffee spilled when a Code 3 call came in and the guy doing the buying ran out to catch the ambulance that was pulling away.)

I have some handbills a guy at the VA made up for putting under the windshield wiper of folks who use a handicapped space improperly. It's worded politely but gets the message across that it is not a "convenient parking spot" if someone with a handicapped tag/placard is not already occupying the spot. I have politely asked folks who do not have handicapped tags/placards displayed to get out of the space if I need it - but do not start a discussion or engage in name-calling if they refuse. I do snap a picture to turn in to the police later on. What they do with the "proof" is their business. I would turn ina picture/videoof a cop doing the samein the hope (as indicated by my written request) that it serve as the basis for training/instruction on public relations if not compliance with law.

As for the comments by the copsabout OCing - if it's not documented it did not happen, although a conversation with the shift supervisor or others in the chain of command may have some positive results. Then again, the offending cops may see it as a reason to seek reprisal for your complaining about them. All I can say is you get tochoose your battles, so choose wisely (see comment about documentation).

syay safe.

skidmark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think the "challenge" by the cop is a little revealing: "get a good shot."

If the cop was secure in his certainty that he was authorized to park there, why "challenge" the citizen? Why not just inform the citizen that he has every right to record, but upon investigation the citizen will find nothing improper about parking a cruiser there?Does the cop harbor such ill-will or suspicion of citizens that he has to make a comment like that?

I would go for a simple written complaint. Remember, he may be a poorly-performing cop, or a problem cop. He may have good-cop supervisors who are looking for one more screw-up to get him off the street, or out of the department. It is entirely possible you are doing the good cops a favor by reporting it--even if the parking was not improper. If the parking was improper, it just adds to the picture.